Zhang's Designer Baby Company Takes Off - MIT TECHNOLOGY REVIEW

technologyreview.com/s/608033/the-fertility-doctor-trying-to-commercialize-three-parent-babies/?set=608091

In a document filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, Darwin Life, incorporated at the same New York City location as Zhang’s clinic, said it had raised $1 million in an initial round of funding. Zhang declined to identify the investors.

Because of that regulatory red tape, Zhang says Darwin Life will continue making embryos in the U.S. but will perform the medical procedures at New Hope’s clinic in Guadalajara, Mexico, or in other countries he believes will embrace the idea.

“For now, our nuclear transfer technique is very much like an iPhone that’s designed in California and assembled in China,” he says.

Zhang’s breakaway plans don’t stop at spindle nuclear transfer. He says a future step will be to combine the technique with editing genes, so that parents can select hair or eye color, or maybe improve their children’s IQ.

“Everything we do is a step toward designer babies,” Zhang says of Darwin Life. “With nuclear transfer and gene editing together, you can really do anything you want.”

Other urls found in this thread:

nature.com/ng/journal/v47/n5/full/ng.3243.html
sciencemag.org/news/2012/11/eu-patents-transgenic-chimps-challenged
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

this was the guy who did the "rogue" Three-person IVF procedure in mexico.

So 80 iq brainlets are going to be able to raise 160 iq children? That seems disastrous. No smart kid is gonna wanna listen to subhuman brainlet parents doing shift work at McDonald's. They will probably run away before their 10th birthday.

Smart chinese dude being smart.

However, I hope the US won't use some propaganda or something to brainwash people to not buy the designer babies or related.
Moralfags always ruin everything.

>implying 80 IQ parents will be able to afford this procedure on their mcDonalds salary

nuclear transfer has been possible for like a decade
the first three parent embryos were a long time ago
call me when some real shit goes down

This is why Kurzweil and Aubrey de Gray are fucked. Even if they succeed, they are going to be like retards compared to the embryonically modified men of the future.

I'll do what scores of men have done before me, and try for immortality with my kids and my deeds. Let's spare a thought for the neanderthal and cave man. Soon we shall share their fate.

this seems like something that ought to have a lot more than $1 million in funding for it to be done properly

For normal human brainlets like us there will be neural augmentation via BCI. Also I think that strong AI will be created before designed babies are a well established reality (let's say 30 years from now) and even designed babies will be brainlets compared to AIs.

The avoidance of regulation is a pretty big deal.

they're doing business and raising money in the US and presumably offering their services to customers in the US so how can it be allowed, that has to be some shitty regulation/prosecution then

Oh boy, I can't wait for the next generation of rich snobs with daddy's money AND designer genetics.

I want off this ride.

Peak degeneracy

we're only just getting started

can you just fathom the insane stuff that is possible in terms of degeneracy with advancing tech?

Imagine if we cured every STD/herpes.

designer babies is like the opposite of degeneracy tho

kudos to the chinese for not being afraid to pursue it

1 million is actually staggeringly low

Do you have any idea how many doctors and medical equipment you can buy with 1 million? not much at all.

160 IQ former child of 80 IQ subhuman brainlets here, can confirm.

got any particularly awful experiences to share? i'm genuinely curious what it was like to grow up that way.

>implying the rich don't have superior genes anyway

80 iq brainlets can't afford this shit user.

Boy you're easy

>be a 180 IQ designer baby future superhuman
>have to be a Mexican

Oof, tough call

how much brain damage have you sustained to believe in what you write?

TRUMPLETS BTFO
T
F
O

>mexicans just steal jobs
yeah, i'm sure the 180 IQ neurophysicist is trying to steal your job at walmart.

it's a clickbait title, not really designer babies (yet), it's probably a pretty simple procedure just that they're edgy to do it in disregard of regulation, safety/efficacy testing etc, and they're charging $100k per customer

No ammount of science can put a nigger at 160 IQ.

if he is in the us legally fine for me. but i dont want faggots living here without paying taxes.
>neurophysicist
well memed my friend

Except that's false. They can just remove the dumb genes and the aggression genes and replace them with smart genes.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm implying.

Actually I know some people in just such a situation

I know three sisters who are accountant, lawyer, and pharmacist. Their black mom has like an 80 IQ

Her IQ was so low because of fetal alcohol syndrome. But she could still pass on above-average intelligence to her children. kind of highlights the danger of pruning portions of the population based on skin color

>le puzzle theory of gene editing
Hurry up and publish before someone steals it!

>accountant, lawyer, and pharmacist
those require average IQ at best

They all require undergraduate degrees and then graduate school

Wonder why Veeky Forums thinks any IQ below 150 is "average"

"Darwin Life"? really? REALLY?

Based chinaman.

Which don't require a better than average IQ.

I've known a lot of average people who worked their way into pharm school. Regardless, we're talking about vastly higher the average here.

I am genuinely a millionaire brainlet. I'll definitely be looking into this to ensure a great future for my children.

>100k
That's not even that much. If I ever have children, I don't want them to ever go through manlets, philtrumcels, maxillacels, or eyecels, like me.

to go through as*
I'll make sure they're above 5-sigma in terms of intelligence, too, unlike me.

>remove the dumb genes and the aggression genes
They wouldn't be a nigger anymore.

Please help my future children avoid being brainlets too

they're not real designer babies, for 100k all you get is this three-parent thing that is being marketed (but unproven) as a fertility treatment. you're being cucked with someone else's mDNA

>my 140 IQ will one day be 85 due to the metric fuckton of genius designer babies

Now I will know what it's like to be black.

>65 IQ abos and 300 IQ ubermenschen inhabiting the same planet

This wont end well.

everyone is so so careful not to ruin the reputation of genetics and is tiptoing around, VERY careful with words and then this guy comes around.

Hahaha underestimating the loan jew.

This will be the new college loan. "Give your kids the head start they need... The best investment!" etc.

The price of this will float to about a million dollars each.. and every mcdonald worker AND their genius kid is going to enslave themselves to get it.

In the end it's somehow going to be a bubble because the value the genius kids produce will end up being lesser than the monetary cost.

>implying 80 IQ people think about concepts such as designer babies, or let alone think at all

Designer babies are so far away I doubt even our grand children will live to see it. Many people don't seem to realize just how insanely complicated our biology is, and how little we understand of it.
It's a shame though, I'd feel much better about having children if I knew they wouldn't inherit my autoimmune diseases.

The time to be tiptoing around is almost over, my friend. As soon as there is a reliable method of gene editing with few undesired mutations, it's a race to the pod. Every geneticist knows that is the endgame. This chinaman is a little bit early, indeed, but I suspect he doesn't have any equipment yet, as opposed to already operating fertility clinics, so he had to do it.

we already have GMO crops, knockout mice etc, i think if there weren't such strict regulations and ethics butthurt i think we could see genetically engineered humans to some extent relatively soon

Those are literally just the first steps, not to mention we would need two or three generations of designer babies to fully say it's a safe procedure.

We can change one thing but if that change itself can be the root of new shit, maybe our grandkids will see this for their childs or their grandkids but neither us or our children will see it.

mtDNA is linked to "old eggs" not working. So it can be possible although the studies are limited last I checked.

so true, we couldn't figure out anything biological

as says

just look at literally anything not-human and we have fucked up and shat all over their biology and genetic selections.

We can say it's safe long before then. Luckily science exists and we don't have to do trial and error. If you for instance do nothing but PGD you can be pretty sure it's safe as random natural baby.

>GMO crops, knockout mice
Much simpler and less risky than human beings.

nature.com/ng/journal/v47/n5/full/ng.3243.html

sciencemag.org/news/2012/11/eu-patents-transgenic-chimps-challenged

I just watched Gattaca today, and it was pretty good

Not him but I could imagine that the smarter designer babies could speed up AI development, but that's probably closer to 50-60 years.

What's the point of smarter people if we don't have the infrastructure/work to house them suitably.
Isn't anyone concerned about all the retarded mistake babies these people will end up flushing down the toilet. What about people bitching about their children not coming out smart or prettier enough.

126IQ here raised by a 70 and 80
Life is shit. It doesn't matter that I'm smart because my parents have no connections and being rasied by them has left little semblance of social skills.
My only opportunity seems to be med and if I don't get that i'll probably just become a nurse.