Gimme some war recommendations Veeky Forums!

Gimme some war recommendations Veeky Forums!
Memoirs and fiction preferably.

>pretty sure pic related is a meme

Other urls found in this thread:

jockopodcast2.com/jocko-podcast-books/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Pic related is okay. I read it in school. Probably one of the better books we read.

Yeah I read it as a teen too. Enjoyed it but unsure if it's one of those "this is the best book ever because I'm 16" type deals.

Storm of Steel by Ernst Junger is a great memoir of WWI

General Sherman Autobiography

Erich Maria Remarque - All quiet on the western front

For memoirs I recommend Pokrishkin (Sky of war or however they translated it in English), F.W von Mellenthin(Panzer battles), Robert Mason (Chickenhawk) and Tim Bax (Three sips of gin).

Dispatches by Michael Herr is an essential one if you can handle something that isn't very linear

all quiet on the western front is pretty great

The Things They Carried is a very good book for a war memoir, because it treats war as a literary subject instead of recollecting his experiences.

Tolstoy's Sevastopol Sketches and Borowski's This way for the gas, ladies and gentlemen are good as well

Anything discussed on Jocko Podcast.
jockopodcast2.com/jocko-podcast-books/

That's an amazing cover.

Unknown Soldiers by Vaino Linna
Storm of Steel as always
Matterhorn
Panzer Leaderby by Heinz Guderian
The Black March by "Peter Neumann"

David Kenyon Webster's book about his time in the 101st is great and where Ambrose stole most of the stuff for BoB.

He realised how retarded the army is and (rightfully) complains about it.

Ernie O'Malleys "on another man's wound" is the most literary soldiers memoir to come out of the British Irish conflict. It was an influence on ken loaches wind that shakes the barley. He spent time in the Taos art colony and associated with a lot of writers and artists in America. Walked a similar path to junger I feel

A Moment Of War by Laurie Lee

Cheers, you sick cunts

You too buddy

Only the cool kids read the things they carried in high school

If you didn't you were an outcast even if you didn't have to for your class

Johnny Got His Gun by Trumbo. Brutal stuff.

Toward the Flame by Hervey Allen

Catch-22 is fucking brilliant.

In parenthesis David Jones.

Redeployment- Phil Klay. Short stories about Marines in/returned from Afghanistan. Pretty devastating at times, strangely funny at others.

Empire of the Sun by JG Ballad isn't a war memoir as such but it's a great read

It's about life as a kid in a Japanese internment camp

If anyone would know where in the internet I could steal this book I would be grateful.
Legionnaire: Five Years in the French Foreign Legion
by Simon Murray

Matterhorn.

Step aside, patrician comin through

Soldiers Alive by Ishikawa
Fire on the Plains by Ooka Shohei
Anything by Medoruma Shun, but he primarily deals with post generational Okinawan war trauma
Japan At War - Oral Histories is a good read as well.

OK, I've bought it. Fuck you all.

OP wanted memoirs and fiction, not a non-fiction book relating the history of an ancient peoples sung by the Muse.