I just picked up my first cast iron skillet from a garage sale for $2

I just picked up my first cast iron skillet from a garage sale for $2

1) How should I go about sanitizing it? I know I shouldn't use soap on it, but if freaks me out that someone else has been using it for god knows how long.

2) What should I try to cook in it? I hear eggs are pretty good in cast iron, what else?

Other urls found in this thread:

seriouseats.com/2016/09/how-to-season-cast-iron-pans-skillets-cookware.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First thing you want to do is take some sand paper to it for an hour.

Wash it down good with soap and then scrub the hell out of it with water.

Then you want to coat the entire damn thing in oil, inside and out, and leave it in a 350F oven for an hour then let cool. Repeat this process 2-3 times.

Don't listen to this faggot.
Just look up proper cast-iron cleaning methods

The sand paper thing does sort of scare me, but I see other people doing it online when I looked it up

Lots of vinegar and kitchen/bathroom sanitiser.
I honestly wouldn't worry about it. Any bacteria die from the heat anyway

wtf, what he said is literally what you do to properly clean cast iron.

stop being a 12 year old fag

You don't need to remove the entire seasoning to properly sanitize it unless it is obviously rusted. You might go at it for just 10 seconds with steel wool to remove a tiny little bit if it looks flakey.

You should check out what kinds of oils are best to season it with though, and 350f doesn't sound hot enough. From what I've read either crisco or raw flaxseed oil from the fridge in fancy health food stores works best.

seriouseats.com/2016/09/how-to-season-cast-iron-pans-skillets-cookware.html
some light reading

You don't want to use soap or steel wool (or sandpaper for that matter) for cleaning cast iron. You use the sandpaper to strip the seasoning and expose bare iron so you can reseason it yourself (the coating it in a thin layer of oil and heating in the oven for a long time) the seasoning is a coating of polymerized fats or some shit idk I'm not a doctor, anyway the seasoning protects the iron from rust and a really good season is practically non-stick.

After stripping it and reseasoning it you won't have to worry about what the previous owners used it for or how they treated it, it's like a hard reset.

Yeah lard smokes like a motherfucker but if you have good ventilation it can make an amazing seasoning. 350°F almost certainly isn't hot enough.

Flaxseed oil is great because of it's retardedly high smoke point.

That's way too much.

You don't need to reseason it after literally every usage. Every 6 months or so is fine and I've had my $300 cast iron set for 5 years now.

>not just using ceramic

FYI, it's perfectly fine to use soap for regular cleaning of cadt iron. Anyone who thinks it will strip the seasoning has clearly never actually tried it and has no idea what they're talking about

>using soap on cast iron

thats a big egg

Nothing wrong with that unless you buy cheap cast iron shit.

You can use soap but then you have to re-season it, which you should be doing anyway since you don't know who used it.

>just straight up puts a whole raw uncracked egg in it

Christ I despise retarded posed food pictures.

This

Retarded. I would say that is more the case for carbon steel, which seems to lose its seasoning easy as a motherfucker

INCORRECT

those are steps to STRIP cast iron, and shitty ones at that.

If you want to properly STRIP the skillet, you place it in an oven, upside-down, and set the oven to self-clean. Vacuum up the dust once cool. You can then apply your oils and start the polymerization process.

Have you virgins never used cast iron before? They can take a fucking beating, don't be so fucking anal about it.

Use a lot oil, put in your food, cook it, let it cool down for 3-5 minutes, wash it with hot water, dry with paper towels and if you're a sperg you can put it on the stove to really get it dry. You don't need to keep reseasoning it all the fucking time because the oil used from the cooking is enough.

It was just for a quick size comparison. I'm not going for any photography awards with it.

oh, i thought you got it from the internet or something. well, is that an ostrich egg or something? because if not, your pan is pretty small m8. what do you plan to use it for?

Soap will not strip seasoning unless you seasoned it wrong. I was my cast iron with soap after every use and the seasoning is fine.