If gravity is the curvature of spacetime, why do objects fall down the "well"?

if gravity is the curvature of spacetime, why do objects fall down the "well"?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bD6pSP-E6pc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's an analogy that doesn't work if you think too much about it

youtube.com/watch?v=bD6pSP-E6pc

have fun

This is a start
Gravity is BS

Answers so far:
>einstein's theory was just a bad metaphor
>gravity doesn't exist

The curvature of spacetime by gravity is actually caused by graviton particles.

Its about the geometry. I don't like the trampoline analogy, because it ignores the really interesting thing general relativity says about our universe.

The most important thing to get is that we don't live in a 3 dimensional world. We live in a 4D world. Most don't really think about it, and put it aside as something quirky Einstein said. But its all in the math. The curvature in a gravitational-well is mostly in the time axis, you could say Its a bend in time.

(Time has a lot of mystic associations with it, but try to instead just think of it how fast events can happen.)

So how does it explain objects falling into the earth? I'll try to keep it understandable, but it might get a bit confusing.
If we think about a 2 axis on a 2D plain. and you have a Vector going along one of the axis. If we want to rotate that vector, we need to rotate it into the other axis. Okay.

In our daily lives, when we move, we don't think about our self as vectors on a 3D or 4D universe. But that is what we are. If you are moving at a set speed, along a vector, you cannot move faster in another direction without also influering your speed in another one. So you you're traveling North to begin with, and you turn east, then you will be moving slower north.
And the SAME thing happens when you speed up going north too, only here your speed stays the same in both of the other 3D axis, So what changes? Your speed through time has changed, your spacetime vector has rotated, just like on the 2D plain.

Lets go back to the gravity well, what happens here? Maybe you have heard that time gets slower in a in a gravitational-well. And you know that objects accelerate going down the well too. Now we can see that the 4D vector of an object passing through a gravitational well will rotate in the time axis and one of the spacial axis. And the reason they rotate is due to a change in the spacetime geometry around the planet.

You might want to read it a couple of times to really get it.

jej

Actually quantum fabric doesn't exist because fabric is made up of cotton. So it's quantum cotton.

It doesn't fall, it simply follows the curve of spacetime. If the curve was "up" then it would "fall" "up."

It just follows the straightest possible path in the curved space

*space-time

how many times does this needs to be repeated?
the grid "plane" is a digestible visualization for fucking brainlets like yourself
gravity of the object pulls you towards its center from any possible angle, not just from the side towards a fucking crater underneath it

why?

>he thinks space bends

>speed through time
in physics observation and measurement are required. what is the unit of 'speed through time'?

Bretty good explanation, to be most forthright.

>being more dense than all objects in your image

Those pics were made by brainlets for brainlets. See pic related for a more accurate analogy

kek

because space isnt a two dimensonal plane. picture it like a cube, and the object with gravity is effectively it indenting all of the sides of the cube, not just the one it's sitting on top of

Took me hours on google to figure this out

Objects with lower gravitational potential moves towards that with higher potential.

>tfw you realize gravity is physical manifestation of metaphysical love

This doesn't really work much better than the 2D representation. Look at how all the lines are curving away from the planet? Yea.

>North to begin with, and you turn east, then you will be moving slower north.
you're saying that if my velocity V = 0i + 1j
and V += 1i -> V != 1i + 1j
but that is wrong!

Imagine that you're walking though the grid, you want to walk in a straight line through curved space (a geodesic). That means that you could follow one of the white lines in the pic. As you can see some paths will crash you into the planet, the curve of these lines is due to the presence of mass, or gravity.

Is this bait? Obviously user meant that if |v| stays the same but the easterly component increases, the northerly component must decrease correspondingly. He said
>and you turn east
meaning that the only thing changing is the angle between your velocity vector and the north axis.

Thanks for starting this thread OP, it's allowed me to become much less of a brainlet. The curved space explanation makes much more sense than the well explanation.

Just remember that reality doesn't really care for making sense.

Because that's how Nature works. Everything follows the path of least resistance.

Density~