So is pure mathematics the subject that you guys idolize the most?

So is pure mathematics the subject that you guys idolize the most?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2pT9LJ2GnBo
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calculus#Modern
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1_+_2_+_3_+_4_+_⋯
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeta_function_regularization
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Nah, gender studies

>So is pure mathematics the subject that you guys idolize the most?

pure mathematics is shit for anything except making stupid little math puzzles to make oneself feel smarter than others.

t. brainlet

No, applied mathematics is.

/applied/

>t. brainlet

okay, then show me a practical application of pure mathematics.

>show me applications of theory
I'm just going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that this is bait.

>I'm just going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that this is bait.

it's not.

put up or shut up.

>put up or shut up
oh shit is about to go down big boi

>he values math by its practical applications

See moron?
That's your answer.

>application
What a faggot

>oh shit is about to go down big boi

i'm waiting.

>tripfagging
>asking for "practical application of pure mathematics"

lmao fuckin hotheads

lmao, that's exactly what a brainlet would say

>applied mathematics
That thing doesn't exist.
It is a retarded terminology fo brainlets who want to use mathematics without proofs.

>PURE MATH IS GREATEST!
>YOU DON'T NEED PRACTICAL APPLICATION!
>GIVE MORE MONIES PLOX!!!

fuck off, pure math fag.

it's called sarcasm my dudes. I'm a different user anyways

> practical application
It depends on what you mean by that. If that's "application to real life problems", then most of the natural sciences are "useless" by your definition.

What about everything that is not purely social ?

>it's called sarcasm my dudes.

So, the thing that was "About to go down" was you backing away like a little bitch, huh?

>It depends on what you mean by that. If that's "application to real life problems", then most of the natural sciences are "useless" by your definition.

Name one natural science that doesn't have a practical application.

Go ahead, i'll wait.

>What about everything that is not purely social ?

could you possibly reiterate your statement in a way that is perhaps a little more understandable?

I'm not following what you are saying, and thus cannot honestly retort to your statement.

>backing away like a little bitch
dude I'm not the user who responded to you. I replied to you cuz you sounded like a fucking faggot using stupid fighting words, which you did again ironically. Get some fucking therapy. No wonder why people don't like applicational mathfags. Fucking equivalent to fedorafags really

>Get some fucking therapy.

Hi CIA....

can I speak to your supervisor?

anything...
4u

honestly, I can't believe that an agency as prestigious as the CIA would stoop so low as to hire someone as dumb as you, who blatently exposes themselves as online shills, letting the people know that your agency is attempting to sway public discourse.

How exactly have you not been fired for extreme incompetence yet?

No secret agency could afford to hire someone as transparent as you, buddy.

their cover would be blown instantly from your sheer incompetence.

Although every natural science has at least some practical application, many of their subfields don't. Look at astrophysics, for example, most of its research is theoretical, with select few applications. But then again, even pure math can be applied to real life at some, if rare, occasions.

Shit I've been outed. WE HAVE YOU CORNERED FROM ALL SIDES. STEP AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER WITH YOUR HANDS UP

>Shit I've been outed. WE HAVE YOU CORNERED FROM ALL SIDES. STEP AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER WITH YOUR HANDS UP

So, you are the supervisor, huh?

And the CIA actually pays you to be this shitty at policing your employees?

how embarrassing.

*ring*
*ring*

>So is pure mathematics the subject that you guys idolize the most?

YES

>itt: math thread derailed by two faggots larping as CIA agent vs Criminal

I have now seen autism levels that were proven to not exist. I see now there was a gap in the proof, the author assumed autism was finite.

>Name one natural science that doesn't have a practical application
what the fuck does gawking at exploding balls of fire achieve.

>what the fuck does gawking at exploding balls of fire achieve.

which of the natural sciences is this?

youtube.com/watch?v=2pT9LJ2GnBo

>show me one practical application of something that is by definition not immediately practical
dumb tripposter

No it's environmental science with a focus on chemistry

Even if pure maths is not immediately practical, it is beautiful.

>okay, then show me a practical application of pure mathematics.

Theoretical Physics, Financial/Actuarial Math & Advanced Computer Science.

Theoretical breakthroughs in pure math can trickle down in applied fields, in the same way that progress in pure chemistry can benefit pharmacology for instance. Besides, there's nothing wrong in seeking pure intellectual challenge and trying to push the limits of human understanding and capacity for abstraction.

Calculus as once pure math. I think it's impossible to argue against the utility of it.

astrology

>dumb tripposter

wow, what an insult.

how dare I use a board feature... bad me!

>Theoretical Physics, Financial/Actuarial Math & Advanced Computer Science.

So, shitty dark matter bullshit, jew theft, and H1B1 visa codeshit?

wow, how prestigious!

>there's nothing wrong in seeking pure intellectual challenge and trying to push the limits of human understanding and capacity for abstraction.

Tell me again how the sum of all positive numbers adds up to a negative fraction?

>Calculus as once pure math. I think it's impossible to argue against the utility of it.

>"analytical functions were introduced by Isaac Newton in an idiosyncratic notation which he used to solve problems of mathematical physics."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calculus#Modern

Try again, noob.

calculus was intended with a practical application in mind.

This. Even elementary algebra was once pure math.

>astrology

wrong on 2 counts.

1. Astrology has nothing to do with fire.

2. the video I posted was about a fuel additive that was supposed to minimize cabin burning in the event of an airplane crash.

So, you lose.

>This. Even elementary algebra was once pure math.

bullshit...

keep trying to advocate for pure math funding, while you have literally no practical application, mathfags.

>OMG the sum of all positive integers is a negative fraction!!!!

nice y intercept slope, you useless fuck.

>Tell me again how the sum of all positive numbers adds up to a negative fraction?

The famous formula [math]1+2+3+4+\cdots =-\frac {1}{12}[/math]

has several applications in Theoretical Physics (Quantum field theory & String theory)

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1_+_2_+_3_+_4_+_⋯

It's a special case of Zeta function regularization.
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeta_function_regularization

Which has several applications in Physics

Lol, string theory....

nice try, fool.

>Calculus
>Newton

funny

What people are saying is that many subfields in math were once considered pure math, up until the point when someone actually found an application for that. The point is, no one knows about that beforehand, so it is both ignorant and dangerous for the advancement of science to dismiss pure math like that.

>Pure math has no practical applications
>implying you have your computer/cellphone to shitpost because of magic
Also, Leibniz made mathematical sense of calculus, Newton's work was just all over the place and it wasn't until Leibniz came an published a book about it that he decided to publish his work aswell

Pure mathfags are all clumsy kids desu

Mathematics is a utility, the application is basically description.

Its purpose is to be applied, describing the universe or, you know, counting shekels. But on its own is like a tool without an object to act upon, like a brush without canvas. It is a backbone to fields in which truth isn't relative, no matter how many people dislike it. If you are mathematically correct, you are absolutely correct.

Theory of relativity

Wrong!
Calculus started by Newton as Applied Math / Math Methods for Physics.

Poor Meth Fags BTFO

t. brainlet

i'm no longer obsessed with intellectual achievement and i'm free who cares what these autists like

Application 1: developing applied mathematics.

btw, if you say applied mathematics is just applying mathematics and so isn't really a thing, then all those applications satisfy.

Crypto (Number Theory), Relativity (Differential Geometry), Processor Design (Graph Theory), Chemistry (Galois Theory), Machine Learning (Linear Algebra)....

youre too dumb to be here, on Veeky Forums, a board mainly consisting of undergrads

No Austrian economics is