Infinite sums are real and can be computed

>Infinite sums are real and can be computed
Then compute pic related, I dare you, I double dare you motherfucker.
People who think like this hide behind the rare, majestic series for which you can find a general expression for each partial sum. The moment you show them a series for which you can't, and they're forced to do the actual summation (infinitely many times!), their fraud shows.

Other urls found in this thread:

mathworld.wolfram.com/FlintHillsSeries.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

this sum looks fun. I dont know youre memeing or not, but it has an area of convergence. on account of that sine in there the n^3 is going to rotate around the angle

>but it has an area of convergence.
Prove it, claim your prize.
mathworld.wolfram.com/FlintHillsSeries.html

neat, Ill have to think about that

>hey guys please do my homework

>prize
I see no prize, give me some actual incentive.

oh nvm

>Veeky Forums can't do it
Then just admit you can't evaluate infinite sums and that you're only using cheap tricks to make it seem like you can.

[math]\sum\limits_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n^3+\sin^2(n)} \leq \sum\limits_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n^3}[/math]
By the weierstrass M test, the series converges!

It's not +, it's ยท

by the same logic you're also rejecting pi

the inequality is also wrong

how

nothing personal kid ;)

nice

Where do you think we are?

I do not think it's true

not an argument

What is the circumference of a circle and why is it incommensurable with its diameter?
taking the diameter to be unit, does the circumference have a length?

>>Infinite sums are real and can be computed

Nobody is saying that, you retard.

It's well known that the process of endless addition can never yield an end result. To claim otherwise would be to miss the obvious idiocy of thinking something that's "endless" can have an "end result".

What people do instead (if they can) is to apply the limit process to obtain a well-defined numeric result for the series.

For example, in Grandi's series (1-1+1-1+...), the limit yields 1/2. Nobody is saying that Grandi's series can be computed to obtain 1/2. Nobody is saying that 1/2 is the end result of all those additions and subtractions. What people are saying is that if you take the limit, then the limit process will yield 1/2.

Get it? It's the ***limit process*** that yields 1/2. It's not the series itself that yields 1/2. It's time to stop being deliberately stupid about the obvious difference between a series and a limit process that's being applied to that series.

>>Infinite sums are real

Nobody who knows what they're talking about will ever say "infinite sums are real". Of course they're not fucking real. And endless process cannot have an end result. Period. End of discussion. And because they're not real, that's precisely why you apply the limit process instead.

>falling this hard for bait

how the FUCK does that yield 1/2

math has gone too far shut it down

So you admit that you're a fraud that relies on cheap tricks, thanks.

>well-defined numeric result
>1-1+1-1... = 1/2
What a joke. Your limit voodoo makes no sense and the results show it.
Math, not even once.

What kind of a bizzare creature ever went to fuck with infinity?

I mean whenever you apply all the smart shit into our little sandbox of the universe at some fucking point the numbers stop being relevant. Time is not infinite, space is not infinite as well as energy and matter (the sum of last two happen to be a constant in this wasteful foul reality where we battle it out so we can ascend into Infinity Heaven where the you will be shown the last digit of pi)

On an atomic level we cannot even be sure if something exists, only a probability of finding an electron in a given area. I understand the need to test the limits is necessary, but if you put a large enough real number, it won't matter for shit in application.

Are you shitting me, did you even read that user's post. He literally says this is NOT the value of a sum, it's the limit of a sum (more specifically, Cesaro sum).