Help me trim down my bookshelf, Veeky Forums

Help me trim down my bookshelf, Veeky Forums

I've been hitting the thrift stores and libraries for used books (mostly science fiction and fantasy), but I kinda overdid it. My shelf is overflowing and I ended up buying a lot of crap along with the good stuff (there wasn't time to look up individual books so I mostly just grabbed anything with a spaceship on the cover or similar).

Some of the books are obvious keepers (such as the Hugo-winning _Fountains of Paradise_ and _Ringworld_) and others are obvious goners (realistically, I am never gonna hunt down and read the first four _Dancing Gods_ books so that I can enjoy the fifth one, nor am I gonna look for the entire _Wheel of Time_ or _Sworth of Truth_ series), but beyond that I am lost. Any advice on what books to keep, what to chuck, and what is a good size for a science fiction collection?

pastebin.com/pkhqL7H6

(the + mark indicates a book that is in the public domain or in the free Baen CDs or by Cory Doctorow, so even if I get rid of the physical copy I can download a digital copy to my Kindle without any trouble)

get rid of all of it.

But... why?

Here's what you do, pal. Right now, look at every book you own, one by one.
take every one you don't want to continue to own and put it in a box. Or bag or whatever
Once it's in the box, don't look at it again, if it goes in the box it's going, period.
Fix up your shelves, put everything you're keeping on the shelf where it belongs
Go through all those books again. one by one, put any book you don't want to keep in the box.

you're done

At first I thought this was a shitpost til I read OP's list and, oh boy when the high water marks of the list are Tom Sawyer, 2001, and goddamn Slaughterhouse Five,

You could get another shelf

Holy fuck this is ton of genre fiction and good chuck of it being the shitty kind.
>Brian Herbert
>Terry Goodkind

No love for Algernon?

>grab a book
>flip a coin
>heads keep it, tails throw it away
>repeat for every book you own

Literally all of it.

Literally?

Veeky Forumserally

how the fuck do you only have chalker book? you should be ashamed.

only have one*

>that list

throw the lot mate

>mostly science fiction and fantasy

Stopped reading there.

Burn it all

While some of the ideas in science fiction sound cool, they're not really very interesting
To each his own though, not trying to shit on what you like

The only book with reading in the sword of truth series is the first tbqh bin the rest

>using a comic strip to belittle people who read graphic novels

biting satire

Kek

I'll make this easy for you, and for anyone else with a similar issue, and tell you the only books you or anyone should have on a bookshelf:

Iliad
Odyssey
Shakespeare Complete Works
Plato Complete Works
Aristotle Complete Works
Divine Comedy
Don Quixote
War and Peace
The Brothers Karamazov
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
Dubliners
Ulysses
Finnegans Wake
Kafka Complete Stories
Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
Tao Te Ching
Gravity's Rainbow
Ficciones
Infinite Jest

The rest just borrow from a library

Keep the Doctorow, I haven't read "Eastern Standard Time" specifically but I like him a lot.

Hearing good things about Octavia Butler, haven't read her though. Terry Prachett is a favourite of my autistic ex-roommate and my quirky 30-something Hegel prof, but again, never read him.

Check what editions of the Harry Potters you've got, especially if they're hardcover. Some are worth a lot of dosh.

I don't really know much about the rest of it, except for some of the bigger titles which I'm sure you know about.

You should get the entire wheel of Time series
There's a fuckton of them but it's one of the best series in fantasy

I love that you included tao te ching.

LOL

>The only books you should own are the ones you can download from Project Gutenberg
Nigga you serious?

Do not burn or discard.
Donate to a local shelter or three-quarter house.

thanks
if you're mocking this list then you're a faggot
you're a gigantic fucking faggot