What should I read first? Crime and Punishment or The Bros. Karamazov?

What should I read first? Crime and Punishment or The Bros. Karamazov?

I've read Notes already.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=G7wrihZcAvo
youtube.com/watch?v=jIr7cs6eEAs
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Whatever you want to, buddy :^)

I want Veeky Forums to spoonfeed me you dunce

Do either one, both are really good pieces of literature. It's not as if you'd be shortchanging yourself by picking one over the other.

Thanks user. I'll do so.

I liked brothers K more. found it really immersive. crime and punisment is more directed and engaging though, i have to say.

After reading Bros, C&P might be underwhelming. Read C&P first, as it also provides some nice background on Dostoevsky's mindset.

C and P is fascinating in the way the quite large cast has a story and a life that is so closely knit in the setting of a dusty impoverished marketplace filled by drunks, loan sharks and prostitutes

If you can make it through Notes from Underground, you're ready for anything. It's one of a handful of books that I've abandoned half way through.

The more of him you read before Karamazov the better, for the reason alludes to

The first part of Notes is difficult to penetrate, but it becomes clear in the latter part.
But really
The Double > The Gambler > Notes from the House of the Dead > Notes from Undergroud

Since you've already read Notes, start with Crime and Punishment. I'm about halfway through C&P, but I can't decide whether to read The Idiot, Demons, and his other works before TBK or just go straight into TBK next.

webm related is a pretty good summery of C&P.
Decide for yourself whether you're interested.

>starting with The Double
That's Dosto's hardest, you fag.

What would that have to do with it being better than the other novellas mentioned ?
Also Demons is harder than The Double

I read TBK after Notes, then Crime and Punishment. Personally I found C&P underwhelming after reading TBK. Both were 5/5 though so you can't go wrong.

>the_yellow_man.webm

I've read Notes from Underground and Crime and Punishment, should I read TBK or The Idiot next?

Read notes

>I've read Notes already.

That's one of the most baffling things I've ever seen. I love it.

TBK

Im half way through c&p right now and this makes 0 sense

I have TBK and was thinking about starting that because I was more interested in it. But from what I've seen in this thread some of you recommend C&P first.

Should I do it? I really feel like reading TBK first and I already have it

Crime and Punishment first.
Brothers Karamazov is the accumulation of the ideas he'd explored in his previous novels, and you'd be able to best appreciate that if you read them first.

C&P is overrated shit. I've read it in Russian so wrong translation can't be reason

1. C&P
2. NFU
3. Brat Caramel
>I've read it in Russian so wrong translation can't be reason
You're right, it's just your shit taste.

Just do it.

My reading order so far has been TBK -> Notes -> Demons -> C&P -> The Idiot and I've loved every single one.

C and P was compared to Hunger by Hamsun (I love Hunger, yeah) in Wikipedia, so I expectet to get something like H. but instead of I've got "story about the Marmeladovs and Raskolnikov". Looks like Dostoevsky was falling in love with this family user

What is the difference between immersive and engaging?

If you expect to get the same experience from two quite different books you are kind of setting yourself up for failure in my opinion, but hey to each his own.

Immersive creates a living world around you of a large group of closely knit people and the general feel of a particular time in a particular society.

Engaging, as used to describe Crime & Punishment, illustrates how the story is very captivating, you're on the edge of your seat with a lot of "oh shit" moments and powerful lines of dialogue. You feel as stressed as Raskolnikov is when he is being interviewed by the detective

lol at all of you forgetting to read Dostoyevski best short story

THE DREAM OF A RIDICULOUS MAN

for those who are lazy there is a great audio book by Mike Pelton. He does a great job reading the story with strong and convincing emotion.

youtube.com/watch?v=G7wrihZcAvo

Even the great animator Aleksandr Petrov did a short animation on the Dream Of a Ridiculous man

youtube.com/watch?v=jIr7cs6eEAs

listen to the audio book before watching the animation if you decide to take that route. If you decide to read the short story, don't read the Magarshack translation because it's shit.

it doesn't make sense for me either and I finished the book