Is 0 a number?

Is 0 a number?

No, it's a meta-number.

No. It's a limit, like infinity.
The fact that mathematicians allow 0 to be plugged into formula is bullshit.

In CS lol.

No, [math]\pi[/math] is meta-number, 0 isn't number at all because it can't be represented as finite amount of strokes on board

>1x0=1

LE POST XXXDDDDDDDDDDDD

0 can be represented as the empty mset though.

0 is a number and probably the most important one

holy shit what the fuck i hate zero now

i never even thought about the identity

Ask Aryabhatta.

I think it is a number. It however is not an amount. It is the lack of an amount, or non-existence depending on the context. It is a valid score. You can do so poorly that you do not get any points. But would the amount of zero points not be a valid measurement and a valid score? An offset can be zero. You can be exactly at a reference point. Here again we measure and get zero as a result. So it is a valid measurement. And measurements are numbers. But not all measurements are amounts. An amount is something. Zero is nothing. But it is a number.

Zero represents anything and everything that does not exist in reality. Anything thats zero doesn't exist, but it's absance exists. In this regard it's lack of something exists and is real. If you don't acknowledge a lack of something being real, then you could say you have ∞apples - (∞apples - 1) and suddenly the entire universe becomes apples.

oh buddy, wait til you meet the nilpotents

Just keep drawing a circle on the board 0.000...

"no strokes" is a finite amount of strokes

In Soviet Russia zero is a neutral element for operation of addition. If you have defined operation in a group, the presence of neutral element allows you to define an negative element, and with some constrains define Abel group. Without it you can't have such thing as Rings and Fields.

thanks tovarisch

It's a matter of the degree of your cuck'dness to semantics.

I personally never bothered to think about it, but the way I see it, it's just an indication of absence on an absolute scale in a given system of refference. Whenever I couldn't truly understand the concepts in math, I'd always check what it's applied to in physics.

If you can't apply it, you can define it however the fuck makes you happy because obsessing over definitions for its own sake is a sadistical joke played out by those kinds of people who read the rulebook of a board game over a trivial thing, instead of just having fun, which is the entire point.

The point of zero is to indicate non-existance of value on an absolute scale in a given referential system.

So you tell me, is there a diference in saying:
"I have fucked zero gorillas"
or
"I have not fucked gorilla(s)"

how are you finding mech eng?

Define number

Define define

pick up a bucket you're standing in

It's not an amount

Just keep drawing a circle on the board 1.000...

The action of desundefining.
Something is undefined if it has not a definition independant of interpretations or opinions.

Is Alef_Null a number ?

Only if you consider a cardinality as a number

If you think the question was bad you haven't seen all the answers.

>Came for the question, stayed for the answers.