I don't remember most of what I've read. I retain the gist bu no more. Am I retarded...

I don't remember most of what I've read. I retain the gist bu no more. Am I retarded? I hear of people like Marck Zuckerberg who can and do quote entire passages of the The Iliad and it feels deprecating. What little sense of self worth I have is weighted in the fact I read where others don't, I grapple with meaningful metaphysical and emotional dilemmas. But I retain only the gist...

Other urls found in this thread:

hubpages.com/literature/How-To-Memorize-A-Poem
mt.artofmemory.com/forums/verbatim-app-memorizing-texts-word-for-word-1250.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>metaphysical

pls be in perth

That's because he stopped at certain parts and memorized them for the autism of it.

Not everyone is entitled to be smart. Accept the small mind you have and move on

I was referring to the metaphysical poets. You probably haven't heard of them.

You sound like a masturbatory bore and kind of a bitch.
>I grapple with meaningful metaphysical and moral dilemmas
Lol'd at this. 2/10 made me check if OP was pasta

>actual girl posts on Veeky Forums
>we scare her off

if he memorized full passages, it is because he found them fascinating-reread them many times, and memorizing them was was a big effort.

You dont memorize just because.

>wanting to discuss with vagina

Do you have memorized every page of every book you have read?

yes

>hurr durr smarter people aren't smart they just go to lengths to pretend

No you weren't

It's a tradition. We're redpilled white men here. We love tradition.

You don't just memorise a book by reading it, I'll remember a few sentences here and there because I found them effective or interesting.
The kind of people that memorise passages do it because they are in intellectual circles where being able to pull a paragraph out of their arse is to hold relevance in a conversation or to impress normies.
I'd only worry if you can't recall the themes or plot of a story after reading it.

You're probably memeing, but on the off chance that you are not and also for the benefit of any interested party here some techniques that can be helpful:

0. Relax. Tension will kill memory acquisition, a relaxed and calm mental state is essential. Unless you are a Zen master, you'll have to try and avoid learning-related stress rather than just dealing with it. If you are already feeling stressed however, sit comfortably in a quiet place, take a few deep breaths, and focus your attention on the sensations of discomfort or stress from a third-person perspective. Just the physical sensations, you can name them as you go ("this is what stress feels like, this is anxiety" etc.)
1. Start using spaced repetition. Anki is a good start. Supermemo is better. A new web-based platform called Buboflash, is best. Spaced repetition can be used to memorize facts, concepts and ideas. If you do it right you can even chunk information (which automatically leads to mastery of a subject). It does require daily usage however.
2. For rote memorization of text (quotes, poems, excerpts, speeches etc.) use the method outlined here: hubpages.com/literature/How-To-Memorize-A-Poem
There is also an app based on this method: mt.artofmemory.com/forums/verbatim-app-memorizing-texts-word-for-word-1250.html
You can also combine this method with spaced repetition so you know exactly when to review the material.
3. Use interleaving. Read several things at the same time and jump between them periodically, this will force the brain to chunk information and make connections between disparate things which in turn will make everything easier to remember and more interesting. The more diverse the material, the better.
4. Create an organizational tree-like hierarchy of information. Meta-ideas (some kind of generalized concept of high abstraction) are the trunks and concrete examples are the branches. The more diverse the examples, the more you really understand the idea behind them, rather than just the example.
5. You cannot use spaced repetition for memorizing lists or procedural information (numbered lists). You can use a mnemonic system such as the journey method (aka Method of Loci, Memory Palace etc.) to memorize lists instead. Then use spaced repetition to schedule recalls. Using visualization is also generally recommended in learning.
6. Sleep on time (also take a nap ~7-8 hours after waking up; sleep is tremendously important in memory consolidation), eat healthy foods (plenty of vegetables, lean meat and Omega-3 Fatty acids from fish or supplements) and exercise (3x 30 minutes a week is enough, you can even get away with 10 minutes if it is intense enough (look up HIIT). Exercise has been shown to improve brain function in hundreds of studies).

Any of these things used alone will work (especially spaced repetition) wonders. Everything used together, however, will propel you towards the genius you so desire.

Unless you have photographic memory the only way to remember a book is to read it over and over. People memorized epic poetry back in the day because they didn't have writing. People memorized the Bible and other books a couple hundred years ago because it helped improve memory and schoolchildren had time to reread the same book.

You read the book and remember why it was good, then refer back later. And stop being a pussy.

She will never suck you either.

mark Zuckerberg is just some coder who had a great idea--Facebook. He didn't even come up with social media. Even then he jewed everyone around him.

I don't remember any words that I've read.

However, I do remember the mental picture the book paints, and I guess that'll have to do.

It does suck being retarded, in case you were wondering.

Assuming you are the girl on pic those piercings look horrible. Kys.

Damn bro, you put way too much effort into a Tuvan Throat Singing forum post.

Good shit, though.

My good deed for the day. Enjoy.

>Assuming you are the girl on pic
Not with that filename

kek I'm the fucking same and my memory is beyond dog shit and I honestly think I'm double digit retard

Is there any way to retain these works that doesn't require so much work?

>not realizing that pic related is just a photo of a young Sasha Grey and is unrelated to the topic
you're all idiots

If there was everybody would be doing it already. But as they say, "The short path seems long, the easy way seems difficult." What I have posted is about as simple and easy as it gets. I spend 20-30 minutes reviewing everyday (usually on my commute), and 2 hours every weekend adding new information, but that's a small price to pay for pretty much 99% retention on anything you encounter.

The only thing that takes real "work" is the rote memorization technique.

who is this semen demon?