What's the best way to make a proper grilled cheese?

what's the best way to make a proper grilled cheese?

Start with decent bread. Something stiff and firm that will hold up to being grilled. Ultra-fluffy Wonderbread types will fall apart. Ciabatta is my personal favorite. Spread a thin layer of mayonnaise on one side of each slice, and a thin layer of some hot or Dijon mustard on the other side. Melt butter in a pan, then place the bread mayonnaise side down in the melted butter. Then place the cheese on top of the sides with the mustard. Cheese is usually personal preference, but I like the sharpest stuff I can find. Usually a sharp cheddar and some aged Gouda. Mimolette and Parmesan is also good. You will want to grate the cheese to ensure that it melts more evenly. After the bread has gotten toasty and the cheese has melted, sandwich the two halves together and throw some more melted cheese directly into the pan. Let that cheese get nice a and crispy on the edges then put the sandwich on top. Repeat for the other side. The creates a crust of crispy cheese on the exterior of the sandwich, while also have a soft gooey interior. Also, the browning of the cheese creates some extra flavors. If you like those crispy cheesy bits, you can get even more by slicing your sandwich in half at the end and frying the slices edges for a few seconds to crisp up the cheese that oozes out.

TL;DR: Mayo + Mustard + Burnt Cheese

Step 1. Don't
Step 2. Make a quesadilla instead

How do?

how is that butter so soft? whenever i add butter to the bread the bread fucking breaks

Maybe don't keep your butter in the fridge, fellow homosexual

1. It isn't in the fridge
2. It isn't in fucking Sweden or wherever the fuck you're from

it's called being "not cold"

dumb fuck

>what's the best way to make a proper grilled cheese?

Dunno about proper, but I like to butter the inside of my bread, brown both slices, then butter the outside, add cheese and finish cooking. Cooking the inside first makes it crunchier and more buttery, as well as speeding up how quickly the cheese melts.

It's fucking warm you stupid fuck

this

Add bacon, jalapenos, and blackberry jam to it

Scary!

2 slices white bread
2 cheese slices

Toast bread in a toaster until golden. Place slices of cheese between the two pieces of toast. Wrap sandwich in a paper towel and heat in the microwave for 15 to 20 seconds, or until cheese is melted.

I like a slice of grilled ham or a really thin hamburger patty in my grilled cheese. The additional protein really makes for a heartier sandwich.

Those are melts, not grilled cheeses.

Grilled cheese is not grilled

If it's pan fried in butter, it's a grilled cheese
In order to be a melt it has to be cooked in an oven or a press

I was going to say the way in Chef with the 5 unnecessary steps that no one in the real world would do. Alton Brown also has a lovely version where he cooks the cheese separately in aluminium foil because... reasons. He's so clever!

Butter outside of bread, cheese in between bread, low/medium heat. Turning after checking for your preference of brown on the underneath.

no
grilled cheese is just bread, butter, cheese.
when you add other ingredients like meats and vegetables it becomes a melt.

With bacon.

Mayo and mustard are a great way to ruin a classic dish. Good job, you are what everyone hates with cooking.

Why is Twilight Sparkle there?

I can spot a woman from a mile away. Alton Brown was a dumbass about that episode because he was running out of ideas.

I make my grilled cheese with ham and vegetables all the time.

Heat

sorry for offending your husbando

Rye with T H I C C cheddar slices from the block grilled with a generous portion of salted butter until the cheese is melted and gooey served with campbell's tomato soup

Yeah, completely ruined something perfectly fine by adding mayonnaise and mustard.

Fucking millenials

Charcoal

No, when you use a press or anything other than a frying pan it becomes a melt, you thick fuck.

>WAAAH
A light spread of dijon cuts through the taste of the cheddar and makes it way better.

As the name suggests; under the grill
>pic related
Oh, and its actually called cheese on toast not grill cheese ya dumb yank.

back to plebbit with you

gb2gaia faglord

and how do you justify the mayonnaise? just your degenerate compulsion to add tasteless calorie paste to everything you cook?

Notice how he turns the heat down part way through to allow the cheese to fully melt without letting the bread burn. It's the little things.

>he doesn't know what a plancha grill is

Nice try. Nobody actually has one of those.

I fry both slices of bread on one side until golden, flip, reduce heat, then apply cheese on the toasted side. Then I put a pot lid over the pan to trap steam and evenly melt the cheese. Next I flip one slice on top of the other, press down, and continue frying on both sides until dark golden and the excess moisture from steaming has evaporated.

he already buttered the bread. why did he need the oil?

>put cheese in tortilla
>fold tortilla in half
>put in hot pan

> fold tortilla

Weird, whenever I've had them,. it's two tortilla with cheese in between.

>Wasting 2 tortillas on 1 quesadilla
fuck nah, thats the white boi way. Just fold it in half like a crescent moon. Put in leftover meat and whatever cheese you want.

to fatten his son

Where do you buy hyperbolic tortillas that can be folded into crescents, user?

your pic looks good op just do that

Hmm? Go to the store. Buy a pack of tortillas. Fold it in half.

This isn't hard.

i would have preferred better bread but this looks good

A normal tortilla folded in half is a semicircle. I want crescents like yours, user.

Lmao, my bad
Fold your tortillas in half so they become fucking semicircles

You have to warm the tortilla first to make it pliable.

I usually just leave it out for a bit to get room temp
Or just fold it when its still cold and baby sit it while cooking so it doesn't open up

Just whipped this bad boy a few moments ago, how did I do?

>fold it in half
>fold it again but not fully folded

>fried not grilled
0/10
Dumb Shart detected.

My tortilla is now a wedge.
I think I did something wrong.

this + add some shit to it if you'd like.

personally i like tomato, avocado, raspberry jam, faggy shit like that.

not enough cheese imo... but you already knew that and were just hoping I wouldn't notice.

As usual I didn't add a third slice of cheddar, but I figured two different types of cheese would be difference enough; I was correct. I even took the liberty of adding sun dried tomato sauce to the sandwich. Was pretty good but could have had more cheese 7/10

>Shartacus
Kek.
Americans.

>things cheese on toast and grilled cheese are the same thing

that's a lot of god damned cheese