Will reading political books make you more intelligent?

Will reading political books make you more intelligent?

Other urls found in this thread:

ocw.mit.edu/courses/economics/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

They will make you look smarter

Not if they're by fucking Noam Chomsky lol

this

the side effect is that they'll make you dumber

I haven't even read that book and I know the answer is jews.

>America does nothing wrong, Corporations are working with our best interests at heart, and Israel is defending itself by kicking people out of their homes and land sending Settlers in

>gee I don't know this guy's views but I'll just assume they're everything with which I disagree

From my experience, these and self help are like scratching the surface of philosophy. So its good, but you really shouldn't stay in this phase for your entire life.

>will reading heavily biased propaganda make you more intelligent
loving every laugh

I dont know about more intelligent
Expose you to new ideas? Challenge you to think critically? Make you aware of events going on the Corporate Media does not discuss?
Anyway if you're on a Chomsky kick I would recommend:
Inside the Company ~ Philip Agee
In Search of Enemies ~ John Stockwell
Deadly Deceit ~ Ralph McGehee
The Politics of Heroin ~ Alfred W. McCoy
The Crimes of Patriots ~ Jonathan Kwitny
Lost History ~ Robert Parry
Killing Hope ~ William Blum
The Phoenix Program ~ Douglas Valentine
Legacy of Ashes ~ Tim Weiner
Dirty Wars ~ Jeremy Scahill
Kill Chain ~ Andrew Cockburn

No.

also this

>my simplifying reality and strawmanning those of a differing opinion I shall become wiser

If read in a critical manner, yes. But if you really want to become 'more intelligent,' then read the stuff political theory is based on: philosophy.

This is especially true in our contemporary world. Just like MacIntyre says, without any shared 'practice' or moral foundation/narrative, political discourse becomes marketing, aka persuasion, emotional manipulation, etc.

>if you disagree with me you're biased
>I don't know this guys views
he thinks Chomsky is wrong so there we go

if you're saying Chomsky is wrong those are the positions you are taking in opposition to him

>everybody who thinks Chomsky is wrong thinks

they do

I literally said nothing about Chomsky, you fucking retard. I said that is simplifying reality in his implications and strawmanning people he disagrees with

>"you probably believe that corporations are nice, well I am so enlightened that I know how EVIL they are"
>"you probably support the Jewish state, you must be an ignoramus that does not understand that they are LITERALLY FASCISTS"

Holy shit just because you have a retarded one-dimensional view of reality, that doesn't mean that other people who disagree with you have the opposite equally stupid one-dimensional understanding of reality. Get a grip.

But yes, as you asked, Chomsky is wrong about a lot of things, ironically both when it comes to language and politics even though he holds linguistic positions that are incongruent with his political stances.

Please leave.

This is a Zizek/Foucault board.

you're saying my characterization of criticism of chomsky is wrong

is this book about jews?

Yes.

No, but they will inform you about the ideology of the author.

If you want to learn about actual national and international politics, then study economics. This will tell you why politicians actually do what they do, instead of what they tell the public.

Better version

ty

Any recs for starting to learn the "actual" stuff?

Well this might be a good place to start
ocw.mit.edu/courses/economics/

Thanks.

Thanks for the recs

I dislike the guy because he said our ministry wasn't diverse enough.

Anybody who isn't a liberal moderate has an IQ below 115. That's the cutoff; there is no higher. Every edgy fringe ideology in the history of capitalism is nothing but the resentful projections and fantasies of losers and failures who are too stupid to succeed in society.

Depends on what you mean by smarter. It probably won't help with mathematics or any sciences other then political science.

lol western canon btfo

The answer is yes if you read books you disagree with.

No, but they can make you appear so.

you will just make chomsky richer

Yes, sometimes, unless it's by Ayn Rand, then the opposite is true.

Only if they promote leftist perspectives. Liberalism and conservatism will just make you swallow stupid spooks and identity politics.

Chomsky is fucking meme. "waah America shit East dindu" every book

A mix of conservatist and liberal ideas is best. An entirely liberal society is detrimental to progress

third position is superior

This. Chomsky is a despicable and unapologetic pseud. He's worse than Veeky Forums.