>location
>current book you're reading and how do you like it

Other urls found in this thread:

jockopodcast2.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

20s
murka
melancholy of resistance

it fucking sucks. it's like a bernhard but with nothing good. i'm gonna read simplicissimus instead i guess.

Wales
Decline of the West

I'm loving it tbqh, really gets the noggin joggin'

USA
On The Edge

I was skeptical of the translation at first but I'm really enjoying the seamless flow of the narrator's toxic ranting

United States
The Brothers Karamazov

Dmitri is one crazy motherfucker.

Same

Germany
Crime and punishment

I Love Dostoyevsky. Book Started slow and rather tedious but I think i get why now that the Story picked up a bit

Brazil
Infinite Jest
Not liking it very much, too much verbosity

Florida, US
The death of Ivan Illych?

I just finished reading A Tale of Two Cities, finally, and am now awaiting for my sister to bring me some books I asked her to check out from her university's library.

germany
just finished 'sir apropos of nothing'
5/6 good stuff. will get book 2.

Where in Wales you from?

Old.
Kansas, America.
"Musashi" by Eiji Yoshikawa.

I'm only 100 pages in but so far it's great.

>"Musashi" by Eiji Yoshikawa.
hey i'm reading that too

Rhyl, but don't worry I've come to terms with it

n-no?

Could be worse... Could be from the Rhondda. Someone kill me.

Why don't you check them out yourself sempai?

It's not your fault.

Age 26
Location Canada
Book The Golden Spruce (2nd read since this fall, not sure if want epilogue, but 3rd read likely)

Australia
Persian Book of Kings

It's no Journey to the West, it's still magical though, turks are literal cockroaches on the side of the devil.

>tfw more taste than anyone in this thread
Shit cunts, the lot of ya.

Are you reading in German? I ordered this recently and it should be coming in soon.

Texas USA
Canterbury tales. Started for wife of Bath's tale. Kept going for fart jokes ;)

No but I'm planning to learn so I can do so, along with the other German lads

Straya
Blood Meridian

>Glanton spat

London
Nazi Literature in the Americas
Nice and easy break before my Beckett arrives tomorrow

Pittsburgh
The Sickness Unto Death
Really just trying to get through it so I can read my book on the Presocratics or maybe the Illiad instead. All the meme guides say to start with Greek mythology, but I really want to get to the philosophy.

Anyway, TSUD is a little too religious for me, but Kierkegaard was undoubtedly a smart guy.

>make posts about yourself that no-one will respond to

Chile
The Magic Mountain, is great, usually I dislike books about rich people

False.

Checkmate : - )

>18
>USA,Rhode Island
>HP Lovecraft Collection
Not bad, I'm in walking distance of most of the locations which adds to it.

"18"
USA
I am the Messenger
Read it for the 2nd time and enjoyed it even more than the first

Get someone of age to buy you some of the Narraganset HP Lovecraft beers. They're all pretty good.

>18
>Los Angeles
>Steppenwolf

just started, on page 20, seems cool so far

Australia
Don Quixote

Super comfy and easy to read, I need to pick up something short to read alongside it though.

Northern New England
Acid Dreams: The CIA, LSD, and the Sixties Rebellion

Book got me fucking spooked about the CIA desu

>I need to pick up something short to read alongside it though.
There are some short stories inside of that book so dont worry

How far in are you and how long did it take

>25
>NY
>Ulysses, loved Portrait and Dubliners, and I loved Hamlet and Odyssey which were recommended as prerequisites. So far I love Ulysses, I love Joyce

Ontario, Canada
Odyssey, Gogol short stories.

Gogol's short stories (especially The Overcoat, The Nose, and Old-world Landowners) are masterpieces of the form.

The Odyssey translation I'm reading is an old prose version by T.E. Lawrence (Lawrence of Arabia.) Not the best, but it was lying around so I figured why not.

>Canterbury tales. Started for wife of Bath's tale. Kept going for fart jokes ;)
There's hope for humanity!

CA
Origin of Satan

Meh.

California
The History of the Peloponnesian War

If "The Prince" were a novel. Pericles' funeral oration was underwhelming though

>22
>Canada
>The First Confessor: The Legend of Magda Searus.

I'm really enjoying it. It's not quite as good as anything I'm the main sword of Truth series, but Goodkind is always entertaining to read.

Alabama
The blood meridian
Very enjoyable, love it so far

>"look how cool I am!"
Immediately 10 points less cool

>21
>England
>Two Girls Fat And Thin
>It's a change from Under the Volcano I'll tell you that. Anna Granite is clearly a Rand expy. It's pretty good otherwise, at describing places I'd hate to live in and nasty people. So: typical Gaitskill.

That's true, I just like to have a few things going on at a time.

about 200 pages and a week and a half or so

>19
>pennsylvania
>letters to milena

i love it. i'm a sucker for the whole doomed romance thing

>Kansas
Lawrencefag get out REEEEEE

>please give me attention

Sometimes it's fun to see what other people are reading, you don't need to autistically reply to every post you see

>24
>Washington State (Tacoma)
>Plutarch : The Lives of the Noble Grecians and Romans

Its pretty good and I'm learning a lot about greek and roman history as well as about how the greeks and romans viewed history and their own society, laws, traditions etc.

Make sure you read the sequal Death of the West

London (UK)
Dubliners

Didn't know what to expect going in, realised it's a short story collection rather than a novel, and 2 in and it's already fucked me up. It's good, I like it, but there's something very bleak and grim about it.

Bongland
Spud - Learning to Fly (teenshit that I read about 10 years ago but completely forgot about and read again over the last week)
Best ending of the series imo - also helped by the fact that I played Nightswimming when it came up, and through perfect cosmic alignment I finished the book as the song ended. Feeling some serious nostalgia right now.
As someone who went to boarding school around the same time the book's set, I could relate to most of it.
Great casual read, I'd say almost essential for a South African.

Speaking of doomed romance, does anyone recall the name of a book about a former soldier who lives in the woods (somewhere in Scandinavia, I think) who falls in love with a city girl? IIRC it's a very short, one word title.

Northern Canada
Dubliners
I like some stories better than others. Overall I'm enjoying it, but I would prefer the short stories if there was a bit more conflict.

>20
>London
>Seven Pillars of Wisdom
What a fucking chore. I want to be interested but Lawrence just spits out names and locations one after the other, and it doesn't help they're either Arabian like "Mohammad al Shubbad al Hameem, chieftain of the Daharali" or generic Brit names like "Smith" and "Baker" that just fade into obscurity by the end of the line, then pop up 100 pages later.
It's cool hearing about his camel journeys across the desert, and tactics against the Turks, and all that shit, but the politics obviously play a huge part in everything and that's what kills it for me.
Doesn't help that Lawrence's publisher notes are included in the introduction where he's just a smart arse ponce.
>"You've spelt this town three different ways."
>"So I have :)"

>Lawrence just spits out names and locations one after the other, and it doesn't help they're either Arabian like "Mohammad al Shubbad al Hameem, chieftain of the Daharali" or generic Brit names like "Smith" and "Baker" that just fade into obscurity by the end of the line, then pop up 100 pages later.
Thats how I feel reading many Russian novels.

Spain
Bibliotheca of Pseudo-Apollodorus

>that last greentext
Holy SHIT I'm glad that I'm not the only one annoyed by him

>"Is it Dakhar or Dakkar? You've even used Dhakka at one point"
>i dont know you tell me

"Pan" by Knut Hamsun.

Pacific usa B)
Wizard of Earthsea! I didnt even know there was a epic fantasy before tolkien!

Canada
Kafka - The Trial

Massachusetts
Mason & Dixon

Less than 100 pages in. I like it so far, but the old fashioned is getting a little old, and the best parts feel like a watered down GR.

Argentina
To The Lighthouse

Just finished it. It had it's moments, but it got overbearing after like, the half way point (more or less like talking to my mother).

portland
norwegain wood Haruki Murakami

Get after it, user. jockopodcast2.com/

Pennsylvania
City of God

its the end game of antiquity. ive read excerpts but im finally going for a full read-thru

someone needs to publish a modernized version that attacks atheism rather than paganism. maybe ill do it.

>19
>Michigan
>oblivion, short story collection by David Foster Wallace
The third book I've read by him. It's pretty good, but I think I prefer his nonfiction more.

Russia
Jane Eyre
It's emotional a bit...

>22
>VA
>Suttree

Comfy AF.

Brazil
I'm reading the Art of Writing (A arte de escrever, in portuguese. Not sure if there's that book in english). It's a collection of essays from Schopenhauer about writing, readers, writers and philosophy. It's comfy as fuck. I'm enjoying it.

California
Into the Darkness

Really good so far

>24
>Canada
>The Brothers Karamazov

Very good, the characters are interesting and the prose is satisfyingly complex which i appreciate. One sentence had 12 commas and a semi-colon while still being easy to read. I feel like there's a lot I'm missing and I may need to go back through a second time.

My only real problem is like mentioned above in posts by other anons. Characters have like 3 different names and they're all 15 syllables long. It's difficult to keep track of who is who. There are also so many characters, some that are immediately discarded and others that are important, and it's difficult to know if I should keep characters in mind for later or not.

Canada
Cosmic Trigger

I like batshit conspiracies but this shit is off the god damn wall.

San Antonio
Naked Lunch
It's both the funniest and nastiest book I've read.

Chile
Almost ending "the path of the shadows"

"The way of shadows"* I use Google Translator... My bad

San Diego, CA
Really digging it, so far. Seeing some parallels with the real world, so I'm shitting my pants.

USA
Through The Maelstrom

One of the more in-depth Soviet Memoirs of the Great Patriotic War I've ever read. Someday, I'll pick up an overview of the Battles of Rzhev, as this memoir makes it the second one I've read over that battle.

I also live in a whale's vagina.
>25
>SD
>Paris Peasant, it's alright.
>

Italy.
"Freud's Own Cookbook "
My brother gifted me this , is quite the fun read, it has many tidbits of Freud life being reconnected to food, all while giving out actual recipes, it makes me curious to know how would it be seen by someone who has studied the man unlike me.
Once you are done, I recommend reading "Brave new world", which is rather parallel to that in the sense that instead of being suppressed by violence and fear, we are controlled by what we love.
I did not find as concise and clear as 1984, the world building seems nebulous in comparison and the author seems to get to the point with a sort of monologue at the end, whose points I believe should have been exposed more thoroughly in the book, still, I found it a worth read.

Zurich
Teatro Grottesco (Thomas Ligotti), it's good. I definitely will add Ligotti to my top 5 writers list.

Going to community college, and the library does not have tolstoy or otero silva.

Perú
Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up to Me

Ive finished only the first part, I like the style as a different thing. Was reccommended to me at this board.

>25
>Richmond, VA
>Galveston by Guy Who Wrote True Detective

I was curious if modern detective/noir-ish fiction was any good and his was the only one I had heard of recently. It is boring and very obviously a first novel because I can feel him trying.

I can't wait to go back to Mary Renault and Philip K Dick.

Ask the desk about inter-library-loan. Or check their website, you can probably arrange it all without speaking to a human person.

>21
>murrica'
>antifragile by nassim taleb
It's good actually, thought provoking and provides interesting tidbits of advice here and there.

>inb4 not literature on a lit board.

Did you like Coronación?

I only gonto community once a week, and my sister goes to her uni every day. It be easier this way, mane.

>22
>Mexico City
>The Savage Detectives

Just finished it, in Spanish obviously. It was an amazing read, far better than I imagined. I think Bolaño will be remembered as one of the best writers of his generation, even one of the best Latin-American writers of the second half of the last century.

Right now I started reading the introduction to the Oxford edition of King Lear.

>everyone's so young

>18
>midwest USA
>The Corrections
It's really funny. 300p in

Bulgaria
pic relate
just 32 page will see

>20
>Ausfailia
>Borges collected fictions.
I am pretty much finished. Its too hot to read more than 2 stories a day. Borges is cool but really hard to read in large doses because of the amount he reuses his ideas. Ficciones is best.

>tfw you didn't get into reading until your mid-20s.

Anyway

>27
>Philadelphia
>Infinite Jest

450 pages in, so about halfway done. It ebbs and flows. Some chapters I breeze through and others can be a chore, but that's about what I expected.

Favorite chapter so far is the Eschaton game. Loved the bit describing John Gentle's presidency as depicted by Mario. Any chapter where Hal to Orin is a pleasure too. I'm starting to like the AA storyline (if that's the right word) as well

Marathe and Steeply chapters are starting to drag though.

*where Hal talks to Orin

>Richmond, VA