Apparently Pinochio's nose will grow if Pinocchio tells a lie

Apparently Pinochio's nose will grow if Pinocchio tells a lie.

it is time sensitive, however, if Pinocchio says it is day time, and it is currently day time, then his nose won't grow, even though it will later be night time.

Therefor if Pinocchio says his nose will grow, he is saying a lie, because he can't know that his nose will grow. It doesn't retroactively become true because of something that happens later (his nose grows).

Paradox solved.

Eh, that's actually clever. At least it is the first time I hear this so hopefully you didn't steal this from /reddit/ or something.

That said, great insight but... why the fuck were you thinking about this silly and stupid meme paradox?

nice analysis, im stealing this

original as far as I know.
I tried to solve tons of paradoxes, and my other answers are less satisfying, so I posted this one.

Yes, tell your philosophy professor, he will not be impressed.

friends if they bring it up at parties bruh

What if Pinocchio says something he can't possibly know for a fact like "That man over there was born in January" or "Someone somewhere in Los Angeles is currently sticking a cucumber up their ass"?

Would his nose grow because he made it up, even if it's actually true?

If not, doesn't this make Pinocchio effectively omniscient?

if the nose growing force checks all booleans true or false in the universe, then he's omniscient.

if it's about the intention of what is said, then it'd grow cause hes a lying shit.

Either way, saying his nose will grow is a lie, because if it's omniscient, as stated im the OPs post, it's still time sensitive checking booleans at a specific plank length, otherwise there's no meaning to true or false since most, if not all things will be true or false eventually.

>at a specific plank length,

what do you mean, for the non-physicists?

Plank length can vary greatly depending on what you're building.

I really hope that that was intentional from the start because damn that's some subtle humour.

What if Pinocchio says that his nose will grow with the intention of saying a lie eight afterwards? If it's based off of the intention behind his statement then it won't grow, because he is referring to the event that will happen soon afterwards.

For example, if he were to say that the sun will not set tonight, it will grow, because he knows that's not true.

Almost all statements about things are time sensitive because the conjugation of verbs inherently has time built in. Funny, this only works for languages that have these. In a language system where everything is in the infinitive, time must be derived from context. This leads to a unique situation where the statement could be ambiguous and begs the question of whether the interpretation of the statement affects whether or not his nose grows. I think that he can tell untrue statements as long as he doesn't know they're untrue, otherwise the inability to control his nose betrays the morality that it was intended to serve.

The growing nose is based on the intent to lie.

This is the only legitimate use for philosophy.

It is time dependent, but he didn't say "my nose is currently growing". If he said that, it would be false at the time he said it, and then his nose would subsequently grow (but this isn't a paradox since his nose wasn't growing when he said it was)

Now if he said "my nose WILL grow due to me saying this", then we have a paradox

"This statement is false" Pinochio style

Your time references lack similitude. You compared the statement "it is day time" to the statement "my nose will grow". To make these statements match up with regards to tense you would have to convert the second statment as such "my nose is growing". In which case the paradox remains.

Can both the position and momentum of a particle be determined by Pinocchio making statements about each, altering each statement until his nose does not grow?

Also, what reference frame does the statement need to be true in? Or does Pinocchio's nose break special relativity? Can Pinocchio make a statement about, say, a distant celestial body and know the answer based on nose growth before light from the star would reach him?

Maybe he anticipates his nose growing?

Well he is a magical being, it is either omniscient (or partially) or dependent on what he knows and is. If the latter then if he said something that was true, but he didn't know it was true (AKA made that shit up) then his nose should grow.

The length at which his nose grows will probably be bounded up to a multiplicative factor by Planck's constant.