How the fuck is a person supposed to read a book this long?

How the fuck is a person supposed to read a book this long?

First, you read page one. Then, you read page two

And then spend the next month reading it every single day? Ok bud

Don't you read every day anyway?

tee(dot) pleb

>"omg lol reading is hard i think ill just go watch anim e instead x{{{{{{{{{{"

which edition should I buy Veeky Forums

Daily reminder that 17 year old high school students in Serbia read and study War and Peace in one semester, while American students read shitty short stories and one Shakespeare play in one semester.

I read War and Peace in one semester for AP lit, its really not that hard cause it goes fast cause its so easy to read.

>every single day

People do that. A lot of people do, and they enjoy it.

Most long books really don't seem that long when you're reading it.

I read Les Miserables a couple years ago, which is almost as long as War and Peace, and it flew by. I didn't feel the length at all.

I'm reading Atlas Shrugged this month, which is up there in length, and I honestly don't feel it. It just feels like I'm reading any other book.

Length is not an obstacle when you're reading something interesting.

This translation any good? I've read P&V Dostoevsky which is decent.

Also, what to read first, Anna Karenina or W&P?

Oxford Classics (Maude).

I haven't read War and Peace, but I've read Anna Karenina. P&V was alright. A lot of people don't like them for some reason, but I thought they were very readable.

I think the two books have pretty different subjects, though. Anna Karenina is more about personal growth and discovery mixed with some politics, where as I thought War and Peace was much more about politics and the effects on people

I don't have time to read every day

I liked P&V. Read Ana Karenina first to see if you dig Tolstoy.

Gunning fog: 12.5

OK, KID.

Like I did, by getting high constantly.

Got sun poisoning on the beach because one day I adderalled up and spent all day reading this and smoking. Half of my body was bright red. It was worth it.

>has time to shitpost on Veeky Forums
>doesn't have time to read

Wrong.

Weak willed faggot detected

Tolstoy writes in 3-4 page chapters, and there are so many varied plots and characters that the book keeps fizzing along. The only potential pitfall is the more historical and philosophical chapters, which require a preexisting interest.

I had more difficulty reading Gene Wolfe desu.

Also when you've trained the discipline needed to stick with the books. You won't get far if you're used to reading 5 pages and then checking your phone for texts.

Should I read this? I liked The Death of Ivan Ilych.

This.

You absolutely have time to read every day. Everyone does. They just tell themselves they don't.

You find time to shitpost on Veeky Forums, to check news feeds, check your phone 20x times, and to do a million other pointless things. There's time in there to read. Maybe not 365 days a year, but 350+. Even if it's just for 10 minutes.

When the long book is this book, it's easy. It's a fantastic book which flows so nicely the pages just disappear. In particular, vol. 4, part 1, chapter 16 is probably the best stuff I've ever read, but the book as a whole is a work of art.

>reading a novella
Man, glad I'm finished and I can do something else
>reading a doorstopper
I never wanted it to end!

Is it worth the read? What's the most interesting point the book makes? I'm not interested in a 1k page book for the prose but if there's some decent logic on offer then I can see the appeal.

Story not count?

Nice strawman argument you've got going there

Just go to bed 10-30 minutes earlier and use that time to read, don't lie you have that time.
Once you start, 10 minutes will turn into an hour easily.

Not really. Not for pure entertainment value.

Silly me. I was under the impression most of the entertainment came from the story.

It might well do. And the entertainment value wouldn't interest me whether it came from the story or not.

I'm reading the Count of Monte Cristo and it is fucking painful. I keep dropping it and then picking it up a few weeks later because it makes my eyes bleed.

It's just not my style of book and le Comte seems like a ludicrous Mary Sue anyway.

>It's just not my style of book
Then why do you keep coming back? Just drop it and read something you like, moron.
Reading isn't a contest

>Then why do you keep coming back?
So that I can be part of the il/lit/erati.

War and Peace because it came first

This is the only reason to read desu