How do I start enjoying food from different cultures without getting hit with the cultural appropriation meme?

How do I start enjoying food from different cultures without getting hit with the cultural appropriation meme?

Other urls found in this thread:

kansascity.com/news/nation-world/article152933279.html
attn.com/stories/17361/heres-why-someone-made-list-restaurants-fight-cultural-appropriation
portlandmercury.com/blogtown/2017/05/22/19028161/this-week-in-appropriation-kooks-burritos-and-willamette-week
pghcitypaper.com/Blogh/archives/2017/05/09/new-fried-chicken-restaurant-planned-for-pittsburghs-east-liberty-draws-backlash-owner-apologizes-to-those-offended
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Getting off the internet is step 1
Step 2 is to stop making up perceived slights like a racist dickhead

Enjoy the food and don't use it as a status symbol.

delet this

Get a good tan

The most important rule is, before going to a restaurant or interacting with people from a different culture, show them your appreciation by dressing up in their ethnic clothes, try to imitate their language and use makeup to achieve their skincolour.
Cant blame you for cultural appropriation if they think you are one of them!

What world do you fucking live in dude. Do you imagine you'll be eating a taco or pho and then the sjw police will break your door down and arrest you.

Stop being offended by every stupid Tumblr meme you dumb piece of shit

>perceived
kansascity.com/news/nation-world/article152933279.html

Understand how culture works. When it comes to cuisine, art and music many of the best examples grow out of different cultures interacting with each other, borrowing each other's best ideas. This naturally happens as history unfolds.

cultural appropraite is a bullshit concept

Racist.
attn.com/stories/17361/heres-why-someone-made-list-restaurants-fight-cultural-appropriation

Those people are producing shitty burritos. Op only asked about consuming

I hate white people so goddamn much.

Fucking this.
I'm so tired of these little idiots. Race is inherent, but culture is learned. More importantly culture is TRADED as a commodity.

>culture is traded
Dumbest thing I've seen on Veeky Forums

Welp, I'm mad.

The internet is all I have, helpful friend.

Wrong user, that would be you.

Then you haven't looked in the mirror lately.

Get educated, moron.

>More importantly culture is TRADED as a commodity.
I don't know if I'd go that far, but trade brings cultures into contact with each other and that results in the exchange of ideas between them. If you know the history of a place you can pretty much taste that history in the traditional food and hear it in the folk music.

I"ll stop cooking brown person food, when they stop wearing western clothign

Stay mad, cuck.

and stop using electricity and stop using indoor plumbing and so on and so on

>The internet is all I have

Do you really need any other explanation for why your life is so fucked? Continue frogposting to ease the pain inside.

Give no fucks about what SJWs think. Anyone who would accuse you of "cultural appropriation" is someone you shouldn't be associating with anyway.

My ex wife took my hard drive with all of my frogs in the divorce two weeks ago. I can't even frogpost anymore.

Oh go my sides

>wanted to try the new burrito place down the block
>gf complains, says it would be racist for a white couple to go there
>we end up going to five guys instead

never happened

frodo and sam didn't know the uruk-hai took merry and pippin

Were* producing shitty burritos. They had to close down because of all the uproar.

oosh

Which is hilarious when you think about it, because burritos are much more of a US thing than they are Mexican. Also Mexican culture is as much a mash up of many different cultures as much if not more so than culture in the US.

This would never happen in a cosmopolitan place. This is some insular backwater shit that goes down in a place where there are so few minorities that few people actually have any Mexican friends or neighbors. Portland is one of the whitest cities in the country. It's like people in small towns in the Midwest being hypersensitive about choosing their words around the one black person they know for fear of saying something offensive. They're terrified to interact with someone from another culture because they have little to no experience doing so. So they base their assumptions about what is or isn't offensive on shit they make up because they have nothing else to go on.

>without getting hit with the cultural appropriation
Enjoy food from different cultures and when anybody tells you to stop because you're white, tell them to mind their own fucking business.

portlandmercury.com/blogtown/2017/05/22/19028161/this-week-in-appropriation-kooks-burritos-and-willamette-week

How dare they watch people cook and learn from it! Theft!

>Portland
>not cosmopolitan

It's not, though. It's insular. It's all about locally made this, artisan that. These things are trendy in cosmopolitan places as well, but there's a difference: the world doesn't come to Portland. The population is mostly suburban white kids living out their fantasy of what urban life ought to be in their own little bubble. We're talking 76% white. Compare that to actual cosmopolitan cities like NYC (44%), LA (30%) or even SF (49%) where there are enough folks walking around with different heritages whites don't make up 3/4 of the population. A handful of immigrants and most of the very few black people in your state aren't enough to qualify your city as cosmopolitan.

Wrong, dumbass.

Having a tech industry that still hasn't recovered from the dotcom crash hardly counts as cosmopolitan. No do artisan pickles.

the problem isn't just enjoying food from different cultures. Apparently, trying to sell cheap food from your own culture can still be called appropriation:

pghcitypaper.com/Blogh/archives/2017/05/09/new-fried-chicken-restaurant-planned-for-pittsburghs-east-liberty-draws-backlash-owner-apologizes-to-those-offended

Article not related, I assume?

Culture IS traded you fucking dumbass. Art, music, food, clothing, etc.

Nope. Nothing you listed is culture. They can be a part of culture, but they aren't culture.
t. Anthropologist with a specialization in Culture Studies

That's more about knowing your audience. The neighborhood is gentrifying, and the gerntifiers do not want to think of themselves as such. They want their coffeeshops and places to buy good wine, but they don't want to be seen as insensitive to the black neighbors their presence is pricing out of the neighborhood. So they become hypersensitive to anything that looks like racism against black people in hopes that will keep them from looking like interlopers in their new neighborhood.

the article is entirely related to the posts I replied to. A business owner in Pittsburgh wanted to open a fried chicken restaurant. They were shouted down with "muh cultural appropriation" nonsense, even though fried chicken is as American as apple pie.

What part of this tale are you missing? Are you just dim or something?

okay smart guy, then how do YOU define culture?

I don't. I'm actually an accountant and not the original user you responded to. You have been coaxed into a disadvantageous situation.

>culture

>the arts and other manifestations of human intellectual achievement regarded collectively

I'm not the guy you replied to, but literally everything they listed is what defines culture. Did you get your degree from Trump University, snowflake?

So they're idiots and their preferences should never be taken into account, gotcha.

Don't forget that most of the minorities are homeless thanks to the progressives driving up property taxes and property value, making it impossible for anyone poor to have a house. Let's not forget the recent passing of a tax on gross profits in Oregon to. Which is basically causing Intel to nope the fuck out.

That's perhaps too fine a point for this discussion. The point is that some very specific modes of dress, styles of cooking and kinds of music become badges of cultural identity for different groups. And as those things find their way into pop culture the connotations of cultural identity they carry to a specific group are often lost. That just happens, but today it happens much faster than it ever did before, so people comment on it more.
Not if those idiots were your target customers. Remember people react to branding on an emotional, not a rational level. It'd be like being white and opening a restaurant called Soul Brother's BBQ selling cheap canned beer and blasting soul music in a wood paneled space with drop ceilings in one of Atlanta's gentrified neighborhoods. Some black folks will take offense because it looks like you've turned their parents' culture into your brand, and the yuppies will take offense because you're reminding them of who they pretty much drove out of the neighborhood. It's not so much a question of right or wrong, but of effective or disaster level branding.
>driving up property taxes and property value, making it impossible for anyone poor to have a house
That's how gentrification goes, though. The interesting part is the gentrifiers becoming so vocal about the causes of those they see as the downtrodden while pretending not to understand that in a very real sense their choice of which neighborhood to move to directly caused some of these people to become such. It's a weird kind of doublethink.

>t. I wasted my life on a meme major and now I spend time "le educating" people on Veeky Forums

>t. Anthropologist with a specialization in Culture Studies

wow, very prestigious title you have there

how to spot people that will never achieve anything big:
not being thankful for learning something they dont know yet, but instead getting mad at the person telling them

t. someone who is 100k in debt but has a piece of paper that was supposed to get him a job but won't

stop caring.
"cultural appropriation" is an insidious anti-human plot to keep humanity from unifying and learning to get along with itself.
it attempts to divide and segregate us and foster distrust of other cultures.
fuck it, eat whatever you want, and know your making a stronger human race for doing it.

omg do you like know how anti tribalist that is i literally can't even

That never happened.

hey there...probably qualified to get a job at Starfucks...

im onto you lizard-man. you cant stop the unification of your superiors, no matter how many SJW's and Alt-right retards you brainwash to divide us.

Are we all culturally appropriating native American culture by eating potatoes, tomatoes and corn?

>progressives driving up property taxes

Amazing you should believe that. Here in MS we have high property tax because the state rightwing in control pretends to lower taxes while putting the burden on the county for services. You cumstains on the right, still proclaim muh federal budget, when MS like many other red states, only survives by federal dollars (44% of the state budget). Wait until your emperor's budget passes, wailing and teeth gnashing will irritate his base and it will sound like the wailing from the sulfurous pits.

Does op have any if those other LotR /pol/ jokes?