Question for the bread makers here. I've made several "no knead" loaves of bread, and they're delicious...

Question for the bread makers here. I've made several "no knead" loaves of bread, and they're delicious, but I want to try kneading dough by hand. Does anyone have a go-to kneaded bread recipe? Ideally, I'd like to make a peasant/rustic boule type bread.

Other urls found in this thread:

cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/11376-no-knead-bread
nytimes.com/video/dining/1194817104184/no-knead-bread.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Sorry OP I've only made no knead, too. Also interested in this, though

seconded. i'd love to have a simple bread recipe that i can rattle off whenever i want.

I, too, have only made no-knead bread and don't know how to contribute other than stating my ignorance on the intricacies of kneading

I'm thinking about adapting a basic no-knead recipe, and just kneading it instead of letting it do the first rise.

I didn't even know there was such thing as bread you dont knead.

you can't really easily knead a 'no knead' recipe, it's got way too much water

Damn.

i've only made kneading bread recipes, what are these "no knead" ones?

Bittman popularized it in the NYT a few years ago:
cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/11376-no-knead-bread

Basically, it's a long-rise process, where the gluten develops overnight.

Do either of you have a bread recipe you recommend?

flour/mix of flours, yeast, milk/water,olive oil,salt and something sweet like honey. add whatever else you want like carrot/seeds/raisins for different taste.

what you need to understand is that you need the yeast to do its job, and die out. That's why "no knead" works because you let it live its life and to die. Kneading just increases glutenization and speeds up the process. But you NEED to make sure the yeast has a chance to die before you cook your bread.

Right, I get that. I understand the basics. What I'm asking for is an actual recipe on how to make this bread.

Do I mix everything together, knead it, then let it proof/rise until doubled, shape it and let it rise again while the oven preheats, and bake?

Or do I mix everything, let it rise until doubled, THEN knead, etc?

First one is the standard method you'll want to follow.

when I used to bake more often I would do like 60% hydration(by weight), knead till desired consistency let it proof till ~2x the volume, deflate, shape the loafs, proof again like 30 min then oven

I was using those yeast packets, mixing them with water and a little flour waiting till bubbles appeared then incorporating it into the mixture at the start, if you have a starter or other yeast source use that instead

I would recommend Flour Water Salt Yeast. easy to read clear, simple instructions.
loafs come out great

Perfect, thank you!

You're the third person to recommend this book to me recently, which means I'm now obligated to check it out from the library.

nytimes.com/video/dining/1194817104184/no-knead-bread.html

I made this recipe and came up with this bread..

Just do it.

Get it man

Is that a still?

Yes

This is a still.

Nice. Send hooch.

My go to for a typical loaf, adjusted to be more easily kneaded is

>100g dark rye flour (whole-wheat is good too)
>400g all-purpose unbleached flour
>7g instant dry yeast
>10g sea salt

Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl

>330g water

Add water, heated to 110F-130F, combine to uniform consistency then turn onto lightly floured surface

Knead for 5-8 minutes - until elastic and a bit sticky

Place in oiled bowl, covered, for about 2-3 hours or until doubled

Turn out onto work surface and violently deflate, flattening dough slightly
Fold sides of flattened dough inwards, forming a tightly wrapped package and turning upright
Turn a few times around, evening out ball shape and ensuring the surface is nice and even

Put a clean tea towel in a large bowl or banneton if you got one, coat fabric well in flour
Put dough, top-side-down (inverted) into lined bowl, cover and proof for 2 hours, or overnight in the fridge if you prefer.

Preheat oven to 500F, place dutch oven or other large ceramic coated dish inside for about an hour.

Cut a circular piece of parchment paper to approximately fit the bottom of your dutch oven, and place it over your proofing bowl, invert dough on a cutting board or pizza peel.
Now your dough sits nicely on the paper, which is on-top of your surface, ready to be placed inside the hot dish.

Now you can cut a design with a razor blade into the surface of your dough, a simple lengthwise laceration will do.

Your loaf is ready to go, quickly remove your heated dutch oven from the oven, and -GENTLY- place your dough along with the parchment liner, inside.

Cover and put back into oven, reduce heat to 450F, cooking for about 20 minutes.
After 20 minutes, remove cover quickly while loaf is still in oven, cooking for an additional 20 minutes. (30 if you want a bit more crust).

When its finished cooking, put loaf onto a wire rack to cool. Wait at least 2 hours before you think of cutting a slice.

Thanks for this recipe!

I'm going with this:
2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeas
1 1/2 cups warm water
4 1/4 cups unbleached bread flour,
2 salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon sugar

I mixed until incorporated, then kneaded for 10 minutes. It's now sitting in an oiled bowl, covered, to double in size.

The dough doubled in size, so I scooped it out, reshaped it, and now I'm letting it rise on parchment paper (covered) while my dutch oven heats up to 450F.

It's much smoother and easier to work with than the no-knead doughs I've made in the past.

If anyone's still monitoring this thread, here's how the kneaded bread looks after 30 minutes in the oven, covered. Gonna put it back in for 10 minutes uncovered!

Crumb shot. Without a doubt, better than no-knead bread. It's more moist, the crumb is more consistent. Will definitely make again.

nice