Do y'all use E-Readers?

Do y'all use E-Readers?

I love paper books but I travel alot, so packing 50lbs worth of books isn't the best option. Any idea which of the big companies offer the biggest libraries? Leaning towards the Kindle because Amazon tends to be pretty good about these things. Also I am cheap and want a cheap device/bookstore. Extra features aren't a huge deal for me

Kobo and Draft2Digital.

Kobo is the best ereader you can buy. No drm, no nothing.

The best source for free books is #ebooks and #bookz on IRC.

>travels a lot
>not bringing one book with you and buying a new one at every new destination you visit
>feetposting

Both Kindle and Nook are great devices with large libraries. I'd say Kindle has a bit of an edge, but wouldn't discount Nook.

If you're willing to find books on the high seas, both options are pretty much equal.

Overdrive (an eBook library through your local public library) mostly supports both.

Kobo has DRM support. Not sure what you're talking about.

That's a good thing though, because most storefronts sell DRM-protected ebooks.

I don't think books from the kobo store have DRM though, which is what I meant in my post. Thanks for clarifying though.

I love my kindle. Buying books off of amazon is too easy, keeping it in airplane mode is simple, and anything you download, you can just convert online if you need to.

But the alternative (Kobo) is a device where you don't have to pay for books, don't need the internet to use, don't need to worry about airplane mode with, don't have to convert anything. It's superior in every way.

Which ereader has the best specs, performance, and build quality?

>Which ereader has the best specs, performance, and build quality?

Honestly, those things don't really matter. Any ereader you buy will have weeks worth of battery, a good touch screen, and be relatively strong with respect to dropping it, throwing it around, etc.

The traits you mentioned matter for things like phones and computers, but aren't really relevant here.

It's a non issue if you use calibre. The only reason I prefer my Kindle is the Amazon book store is excellent for niche releases and I like to download the samples.

>calibre
Can someone explain this?

You will be able to pirate books with this prog man

It's an e-book manager. It automatically converts and formats everything for whatever e-reader you're using.

Oh I see. Does it work on the Kindle as well? I have one but have just been buying books like a chump I guess

Yeah it works with Kindle. It's pretty much required if you decide to pirate books at all because they always come it different shapes and sizes.

Thanks a million user

Sup guys I have the same question. I read physical books and e-books on my smartphone in bed at night.
So what's the point of buying an e-reader?

If you wanted to watch a movie you could also use your phone but wouldn't you rather have a nice big TV set that was specifically built for that purpose? I can't imagine you can quickly check notes and citations with your phone or that it has a built in dictionary that will instantly give you the definition of anything you highlight. E-readers come with all sorts of various functions that make reading more enjoyable.

I really want to get into reading again and want to go amazon for a reason similar to what said.

So is the base model good enough or is the paperwhite worth the jump in price?

I don't think any of the Kindles are bad so you can't really go wrong.

>buying digital books

The best is the screen. It won't tire your eyes even with light support.

Buying cheap, pirating everything else.

I'm not so sure. I have an old Sony PRS-T1 that would freeze occasionally and would generally be pretty slow until I rooted it. There has to be one e-reader that edges out the rest in some categories, e.g. screen resolution, type of screen, battery life, etc.

I don't really care about shit like accessing the Amazon or Kobo marketplace because buying e-books is for bitch niggas and I'll probably end up rooting the ereader I buy to replace my old Sony one.

>I can't imagine you can quickly check notes and citations with your phone or that it has a built in dictionary that will instantly give you the definition of anything you highlight

There are plenty of ereader apps and dictionaries for phones. The main benefits of an ereader are the screen and the long battery life.

I put some translation dictionaries on my rooted ereader and it's become a really useful tool for learning languages.

Does anyone know how one could convert pdfs in such a way that it doesn't get fucked up on the Kindle? I have so many good pdfs but they end up looking horrible on the ereader. Converting pdf to epub or mobi is shitty...