Is it possible to teach a class on critical theory to high schoolers...

Is it possible to teach a class on critical theory to high schoolers? I've been thinking about proposing one for the school I teach at.

How would you approach it?

I don't know what Yuro secondary education is like but I don't think it would work out in Burgerland, because trying to engage with critical theory without a solid background in western philosophy is walking before you can crawl.

why would you want to perpetuate that plague?

God, American high schools are dumb.

Can you greentext it? That should be a good acid test. Then again,

Also, do you ever drop lit memes in class?

It could be possible only if you actually have a descent grasp of western thought (not only philosophy; history and anthropology aswell) like says.

It could be taught as an introduction to critical theory and be based on a really slow pace pedagogical method, aswell as expecting a shallow level of understanding from the students.

I have some experience "teaching" to high schoolers, but I'm not American so I don't know could it work in a American high school.

>Is it possible to teach a class on critical theory to high schoolers?

Isn't the whole purpose of school education? Why do you want to turn those poor kids into borderline retards?

No, because critical theory is deliberately obscurantist and inaccessible.

What is critical theory to you guys? Fucking idiots dont know what they're talking about.

>Critical theory

fuck you idiot

I wish postmodernism would just die.

i saw this from page 1, and i just want to say that it is embarrassing that you thought this was actually a good idea to type out and hit post. how old are you? are you literate?

"Postmodernism" actually means "everything about modernity that I don't like."

Critical theory means many different things in different contexts.

i saw this from page 1, and i just want to say that it is embarrassing that you thought this was actually a good idea to type out and hit post. how old are you? are you literate?

>free decoding ring inside
>not deconstruction ring

I would adapt the key chapters from Kenneth Burke (Grammar of Motives) and teach the pentad. It's a basic enough construct that anybody can understand it, and it resides beneath any political or philosophical considerations. It gives students a framework to change the way they read from lackadaisical surface entertainment to a critical and engaged close reading. Like a primer they can take forward in any further direction, without a loaded bias.

>critical theory to high schoolers

child abuse.

Smart user. Yeah, go for early 20th century americans. Teaching translations of German or French stuff usually associated with crit theory is a waste of time on high schoolers.

I think kids could get some use out of Northrop Frye, as well. His archetypal system is food for the imagination.

>How would you approach it?

I wouldn't.

The next generation is already doomed as it is. No need to poison them further.

marxism and the downfall of western society

A natural fit. It almost writes its own exam questions:

Use Burke's pentad to explain whether [text] is primarily centripetal, or centrifugal.

I was taught that in the year 10 of secondary school, so yeah.

I walked before I could crawl, true story, so yeah.