Want to a get physics degree

>Want to a get physics degree
>Do the math
>It will cost me 70-80K in student loans no matter where I go
I don't know if it's worth it. And that's just the bachelor's.

Other urls found in this thread:

openuniversity.edu/courses/qualifications/q64-phy
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You won't be employable with just a bachelor's.

t. physics undergrad

I mean t. physics bachelor's.

What will I need to be employable? A full PhD?

Yeah. You don't learn any modern physics in undergrad. Master's are seen as consolation prizes to failed PhD candidates.

And, honestly, imo college is a massive scam, but you need it to get work. The books for an entire bachelor's and PhD cost less than $1k. If you feel you could get by without the degrees, maybe try it. Unless you really want to do R&D for some company or college.

i also fell for the physics meme. doing an msc in math because physics is useless if you aren't completely specialized.

then specialize for fuck's sake
condensed matter experiment is pretty sweet and applicable

OP here. Well, I have a literature master's degree. It's also unemployable, and the jobs I could get with it I don't want. I really regret it.

Unfortunately, I also live in California, where state-funded schools don't let you pursue a second bachelor's degree. That means I have to move out of the state to look for one, which is expensive as hell.

I would like to do R&D someday, but I'm having trouble making this financially possible.

maybe. i mesh better with mathematicians than physicists too. it might just be my field.

Sports Science student here (In Spain) want to do another degree (just 3-4 subjects a year) and was thinking about doing Chemistry, the organic parts and biology.

Any thoughts? physiology of exercise sounds so good man. Would chemistry work for that?

Is there anything you can't learn yourself(the only kind of learning) online? Think about it... Beside real practical application, what need is there for 'instruction' when you can go through the same material alone

the credentials
sure you can be competent but no one's going to take your word for it unless you're a certified degree holder
it's bullshit but that's how it is right now

>Lit masters
Have you considered suicide and trying again in the next life?

>It will cost me 70-80K in student loans no matter where I go

Here's where you're wrong, kiddo. You'd be paying a tiny fraction of that if you study in Germany or Austria, Sweden or most other developed European countries.

I've worked in several universities all over the globe, including the US - and let me tell you, you'll be just as good of a physicist regardless of the uni. Piling up ridiculous amounts of debt for an undergrad is absolutely silly.

OP here, I don't live in the EU. There's nothing I can do about that.

>There's nothing I can do about that.

You can move. Piss-easy to get a student visa. The flight is less than a grand.

do they still give you the dank funding if you're a non-citizen?
I'm sure they just authorize you to start giving them shekels with a visa since you don't pay taxes(?)

Alternative: learn by yourself, then 'do something yourself', proving your competence
...Sure beats debt in exchange for a "degree"

I have a bachelors degree in physics and I regret it. Go for engineering or math. Math is infinitely more interesting and entertaining compared to physics. With engineering you're employable outside of academia.

What?
You'll get a student-visa, pay the non-EU tuition fee of like 500 bucks per year, get a part-time job while you study (which is what everyone does), which will reduce the amount of federal loads you'll need to take. I don't understand what you mean by taxes..

any serious scientific institution will absolutely require an undergraduate degree and at least some graduate school experience for your application to be considered.

NIH, CDC, and WHO all require at least 2 years of graduate school experience for research positions.

It can't be that easy to get into an EU school as an American. Years ago I looked into studying in Britain and it would have cost a fortune.

>Britain
Britain is a special case, as they try to be like the US. Have a look at Austria, Germany, Denmark.

>Masters in literature
You really should take up some community service projects public speaking to convince people not to get a masters in literature

Do you have £17,184 to spare plus some extra cash to travel for some weeks to the UK? :
openuniversity.edu/courses/qualifications/q64-phy

OP, I am also a physics major. If you want to be successful without getting a PhD, go for a masters in an engineering field. I am doing that, but also double majoring in electrical. The DoD offers a scholarship to stem majors. Look up the SMART.

OP here. I could probably do that if it was the cost of the entire education, but for one semester, not so much.