What's the weirdest type or cut of meat Veeky Forums has ever used?

What's the weirdest type or cut of meat Veeky Forums has ever used?

I've purchased some pork cheeks and I wanted to try to braise them, as I've heard they can be very tender and sweet. If anyone has advice on that, I'd love to hear it.

Beyond pork cheeks, the weirdest meat I've ever used in cooking was only frog legs, and they didn't turn out very well at all.

I had eel a few times on sushi. Tons of sharp small crunchy bones. Its terrible

wtf? there should never be bones in eel for sushi
where the fuck are you buying this stuff? even grocery store sushi doesn't have bones in the eel.

Sounds like someone went to a Chinese run sushi bar. You deserve what you got, cheapass. Enjoy your carcinogens from chink farm raised fish.

I ate live sea cucumber from a street stand in Korea. They chopped it into bite size pieces and you dipped it in koljujang (hot bean paste). It tasted like the ocean and had the texture of very firm cartilage.

frogs legs are an absolute waste of time, both cooking and eating.

Had kangaroo, armadillo, alligator, and ostrich jerky all in one sitting. Wasn't bad and I'd try them again.

I guess it really depends on what's weird to you. I'm an adventurous eater who lives in a big city, so not much strikes me as weird.

I've cooked at home with:
goat
snails
mackerel
tripe
all kinds of liver
veal brains
rabbit
kidneys
octopus
oxtail
dried scallops
fermented shrimp paste

I've had these oddball meats eating out:
pork intestine
goose intestine
abalone
baby squid sashimi (in Japan)
grilled eel liver (in Japan)
"crab guts" (in Japan)
Moreton Bay bugs (in Australia)
fish maw
crickets
frogs legs
sturgeon
Guinea pig
pigeon
cuttlefish
Russian caviar (in Switzerland)
all kinds of other roe (including botarga)
skate
real Kobe beef (in Japan)
alligator
rattlesnake
wild boar
venison
wild turkey
camel (in Morocco)
various blood sausages

Christ, is there any meat you haven't eaten?

Haven't tried horse, dog, cat, whale, any songbirds, possum, raccoon, ground hog, bear or squirrel. Would like to try horse and dog.

>has eaten virtually every animal
>hasn't eaten squirrel

Wow, seriously? I was hunting squirrel when I was 14. I still bag some every year. I can literally walk to neighboring wooded lots and easily get 5/day. They're quite good. A lot more flavor than rabbit. Easy as hell to dress too - takes about 30 seconds.

Which one of you is this?

I dunno man. I've had alligator tail, ostrich, lamb shanks, goat, lion, bull shark, tiger shark, wild boar, bison, kuala, different snakes, turtles, iguana and other small reptiles...the list goes on.

I've eaten some weird shit.

I am a little embarrassed about not having tried squirrel yet. In my defense I'm a city boy, so the opportunity to go squirrel hunting hasn't happened yet. The generation of country relatives who used to hunt died off when I was a little kid, and their kids and grandkids are all suburbanites. I've never even fired a rifle or shotgun, only handguns at shooting ranges.

prolly zebra, it was a disapointment

Lambs testicles. Meh. Poor texture and lacking in taste.

A butcher where I live sells burgers made from crocodile meat

That's understandable then. It's not like you'll find it for sale anywhere. Definitely a country thing, but I really like it.

how is not hunting and/or not having fired a shotgun/rifle a bad thing? unless you want to be a hick that is

Ausfag here.
Crocodile and kangaroo are amazing.
Whale is nice too.

A dry aged horse steak is pretty good. It's a leaner slightly gamier version of beef.

Balls! :D

Sliced up and deep fried.

Fried gator tails are good. I'd imagine croc is nearly identical.

I think there's something noble (or at least kinda cool) about being able to wander into the woods and come out with a meal. Being able to hunt and fish is like growing your own vegetables. Maybe it's an Antique American conceit, but anything that smacks of self-sufficiency strikes me as fundamentally good.

Drunk fishing once led to drunk eating fish eyeballs. Would not reccomend. They're incredibly crunchy and taste like semen smells.

If you're in the USA you can legally kill a cat for meat in most states. Dog I think is different.

>bones in eel sushi

That says a lot more about the establishment you had it in, or your cooking skills if you prepared it.

>eel sushi with bones
You must've gone to the sketchiest "sushi" restaurant you could find.