What's the procedure for buying one of these...

what's the procedure for buying one of these? is it more about how I take care of it than the person/company I buy it from? is end grain basically the only game in town, or should I consider edge grain, too?

just finished college and I told my parents I want a fairly nice cutting board for the new apartment I'm moving into (as a graduation gift; we don't have much money). I don't want them to spend a lot, but I think this would be very useful to have and I could hopefully keep it around for a while to come.

Other urls found in this thread:

plancheslabell.com/product-page/l12164-1
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00OHIV0DW/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1496185972&sr=8-6&pi=SL75_QL70&keywords=end grain cutting board
wayfair.com/keyword.php?keyword=boosblock&command=dosearch&new_keyword_search=true
faculty.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/faculty/docliver/Research/cuttingboard.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Make one. There are plenty of tutorials. It's honestly not that hard if you're willing to invest a couple hours. You can do it without clamps if you don't have them. If you don't have a saw, you probably should buy a saw.

>>/diy/

Shitty ones are made with dodgy wood of uncertian origin. Could have arsenic or other nasties in it

Shitty ones have so much glue that the glue does more harm than the benefit of end grain. Or so little that they fall apart

If you're trying to keep the budget down, buy a hinoki board or a sani-tuff, and buy your $200 countertop fedora later when you're feeling less price sensitive

Well, that one is all wrong.
They're supposed to be 8 by 8 squares.
And the pieces are missing.

budget is probably $150-200, honestly. we're not like destitute, but I'm not getting a vacation or a fancy suit as a gift, that's all I meant. plus they can probably justify it as something that I'll use every day and won't sit around getting wasted.

we don't have a table saw or the space to set one up. and I'm definitely not gonna use a hacksaw to make cuts that need to be extremely precise like in that picture

i just bought a decent canadian made one from costco for 30 fucking bucks

they don't seem to have them for sale online though.. i guess because they'r a fucking steal

i suggest end grain or else it WILL gouge.

as far as antibacterial properties go, the difference is probably negligible.

just get a basic ass wood board, its not going to have an effect on your food. this is just like the knife argument, as long as the knife is sharp you are fine.

Do you have the manufacturer on you? I can at least look them up and see if they have any retailers near me, if not Costco.

i believe it was this
plancheslabell.com/product-page/l12164-1
if not, it was something similar exclusive to costco. same company tho, and still not a bad deal

Cabinet maker here....I would highly suggest not spending money on trying to build one unless you have access to a table saw and more importantly, a drum sander. Ive made my share and without a way to get the first edge up completely flat...it will turn out like shit.

Here is a nice one on amazonamazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00OHIV0DW/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1496185972&sr=8-6&pi=SL75_QL70&keywords=end grain cutting board

I would suggest not getting the ones with the juice groove because it takes away cutting space. Just buy some mineral oil from your pharmacy and keep it heavily oiled in between use and dont let it soak in water. Cleaning with soap and water is fine...just dont allow soaking.

Yeah, I'm not even entertaining the DIY option here.

Just out of curiosity, is there a real difference between the "block" style and just a standard board? I can't imagine why someone would pay for like a 2-3 inch thick piece of wood to cut on but I've seen a lot of them in looking around, even on the related products for the one you linked me.

>budget is probably $150-200, honestly.

Bruh you can get an end-grain chopping board from Costco for 10% of that

bigger and heavier is always better for cutting boards

unless it literally doesn't fit on your counter top you won't regret it

also, if your kitchen is small get one longer than your sink that you cna put over it for emergency backup counter space

>unless it literally doesn't fit on your counter top you won't regret it

Make sure it fits in your sink, too.
I can only sort of get mine in one corner at a time and it's a bit of a hassle to wash.

you're washing it wrong

>graduation gift;
A 3-5qt le crueset will be more "lifetime" gift than the cutting board, just an idea, and they can be had at places like Marshalls on closeout if you're not picky about color or shape.
You can get a Boosblock butcher block table that can move with you for several hundred dollars (ouch) or a tabletop regular grain (not end grain) professional like maple board for under $100 all the time at places like wayfair or overstock. End grain is more healing for cuts from sharp knives and more warp resistant, but bad glue is bad glue. Go as hardwood as possible, and have other boards so it's not constantly wet or needing to be washed. If you want a truly beautiful board, it will probably be considered too high budget for some parents who don't appreciate the value for someone just starting out :/
Here's so good examples of market prices, where you can see how pricey walnut or end grain can run:

wayfair.com/keyword.php?keyword=boosblock&command=dosearch&new_keyword_search=true

Something that is not overly expensive (but should be) is olive wood. Glorious grain and comes from third world countries who don't give a shit and charge very little for it. You can get wooden salad bowl sets and cutting and cheese boards with pretty grain, that would indeed last a lifetime with care.

Just buy a couple decent hdpe boards and save your money. They're only marginally harder on knives and you certainly won't find end-cut boards in a professizonal kitchen- you'll find hdpe.

My sink is baby apartment sized and my wok won't fit. I know your feel.

faculty.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/faculty/docliver/Research/cuttingboard.htm

Boardsmith

Capenterfag again
Unless your chopping with cleavers...1-1 1/2" is more than enough to be happy with.

Endgrain is the king of cutting boards, the edge of the knife will slide between the wood fibers. Nothing makes it easier for a knife to retain agood cutting edge,

Yup, www.theboardsmith.com. You can contact the guy directly if you visit the vendor's forum on www.kitchenknifeforums.com.

>the aspies have discovered cutting boards
95% of your edge retention comes from having good knife technique, having an appropriate apex angle for the task and for the knife itself, and using a knife that isn't dogshit

until you do something about those, going bezerk over your exact orientation of wood fibers is a waste of time, literally no one gives a shit about this stuff except gearfags whose self worth is measured in how many meme products they own

>muh boardsmith
>muh takeda
>muh tony miller strop

you cannot fill the hole in your heart with more stuff

honestly mate, find your closest restaurant supply store and get a restaurant grade one (very large and not wooden), its only a couple of bucks and holds up much better

also it will like utter shit and immediately turn any space in your house into an industrial food prep area, with the charm to go along with it.

If it takes only 5% more to fill the hole a cutting board is just what you need

Well shit. I gather the commercial use is different mostly because they're being washed much more often and with high-pressure, reallyfuckinghot water. Thanks user.

This, unfortunately, is applicable. My living room, dining area, and kitchen are all one large space. Having a large nice looking board vs having a large bright white one will matter to me, even though it annoys me that it matters.

>someone asks a reasonable question about a staple piece of kitchen equipment
>someone like you has a sperg out and responds like you did

and people wonder why this happened are is horseshit

>we don't have much money
>spends $200 on a fucking cutting board

Poor people are retarded with their money.

what's the correct way to go about this?

Soap and water.

>a $200 cutting board is staple kitchen equivalent
cook more, youtube less

Unless that chess board has edible pieces, take it to

These are extremely easy to make. You need two pieces of wood, a saw, a clamp and wood glue. You probably don't even have to buy anything but a food safe sealant.

It takes 10 minutes to make. We did it in school as teenagers but I passed out high in shop class daily, or left, and never participated because the teacher gave grades, not discipline.

Holy shit so much this.
I literally know no cook that would spend that much on a disposable and basic piece of equipment.
In professional kitchen you see shitloads of "food-grade" plastic ones, even in some high end restaurants.

I am inclined to go with that lad here
All of this looks pretty crazy to me.

Anyhow people are free to spend their money the way they want. And the OP's picture looks pretty rad.
But I'd spend on knives before looking at the cutting board.

>Take boots, for example. He earned thirty-eight dollars a month plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots cost fifty dollars. But an affordable pair of boots, which were sort of OK for a season or two and then leaked like hell when the cardboard gave out, cost about ten dollars. Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles.

>But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in ten years' time, while the poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet.

I can tell you know nothing about footwear or knives if you think a $200 cutting board is in some way analogous to high quality footwear

>Pay more for well-sourced wood, good construction, top quality gluing on a board that will last me at least 20 years of daily use assuming I don't go full retard and let it sit in a puddle of water
>pay less for a piece of shit board made of wood sourced from god knows where, glued together sloppily, and assembled shittily somewhere in china, or a crappy HDPE one that I'll just end up throwing out in a year because it's been nicked so much using it is a health hazard

gee, wonder which one I should go with

>the only options are a luxury board where the grains were individually lined up by an idiot savant according to ancient ayurvedic principles, or a board made of chinese arsenic wood

never change, Veeky Forums

also nice dubstrips

The purpose of the board being 2-3 inches thick is so that it won't warp as easily. It also allows more surface area for the glue to bond so it becomes overall more resistant to water damage.

I've had issues with thinner end grain boards warping and splitting at glue joints.