Ask someone who just got their PhD a week ago anything

Ask someone who just got their PhD a week ago anything.

Is the earth spherical or flat?

it's T H I C C

Fucking shit. Why does everything on Veeky Forums have to turn into a flat earth thread?

What is your highest degree, and when did you attain it?

PhD in what

>PhD in shitposting
>doesn't get the #1 rule

What was your thesis on?

PhD, a week ago.
PhD in ME.

When you still can't get a job, how will you further your education from here?

Nanomachines son. No seriously. It was all computational though, so the results are about as real as a metal gear solid videogame

I already have a job.
>>how will you further your education from here?
I don't think you understand. PhD is as high as you can go, after this it's all downhill from here. At least according to my profs.

>I don't think you understand. PhD is as high as you can go
thatisjoke.webm

/x/ has degraded too far for shitposting to be fun, so now they flood here to drive down the quality to the level /x/ is at

Sounds cash.

what business do you work for friendo
I hope you did go for an internship before you finished, otherwise, I'd take a number 3 with a large fry and drink

DARPA. No nanomachines unfortunately.

How hard do you think it would be to get into DARPA or other US lab shit with a PhD from a European uni? I got my MS in US and have been a US citizen all my life so no problem there. The uni is top 10 worldwide in EE as well and picked it for the experience desu

Well uh... given that we had chinese and iranian nationals working on a previous DARPA project I was on, you could probably do it. Don't bother though, the stuff DARPA works on is a little cool, but you can do more with NSF funding. DARPA also makes you write these pain in the ass progress reports that do nothing, but stifle progress. NSF is basically no strings attached funding.

You might consider going back, some european universities are doing top tier stuff in robotics right now.

>PhD in ME
Narcissistic much?

ahahahha i love this reply

>pretty huge dick in me

how long ago did you get your PhD?

I don't know, why don't you tell me?

Was it better than high school?

did you study for your gre

High school fucking sucked. PhD was fucking awesome. So awesome, I almost regret not delaying my graduation. We were just getting to the good stuff...

This is very bad advice, but hardly at all. I didn't do very well. It didn't matter all that much in the end. What helped more was undergrad research and knowing people. If you know your profs well, they are likely to choose you over some random foreigner they've never even met before.

You should study for your GRE though.

so did you go to the same school for grad as you did undergrad?

yes and no. It's complicated. Don't stay at the same school all the way to PhD unless you are going to MIT.

Did you TA at all? Did the undergrad girls come unto you?

>MIT
if you are smart enough to get a full ride through a PhD at MIT, you are absolutely better off getting a masters at École Polytechnique or some other high level euro school.

academic inbreeding is a thing, even at top tier schools.

>École Polytechnique

Don't. Quebec is shit tier.

Yes. No. TAing doesn't work that way. I once watched a fraternity chad cry because we caught them cheating though, that was great.

Why is there a yellow spot on my left thigh?
It just appeared about a week ago, and I just assumed it was some kind of weird bruise, but it's shown no sign of improvement.

What was his punishment?

Why not?

>Grand École Polytechnique
>in Canada
You know, there is this place called northern isistan (formerly known as europe) where they have some top unis too, or so i've heard.

Academic inbreeding
It was bad. Don't cheat. Especially on programming assignments.
I have no idea and am not qualified to give you an answer. It's probably cancer

r u 300k starting?

do u slay pu$$¥?

Yes.

how does it feel to be a broke 30 year old?

but no sane person would ever go to europe, let alone one of it's ungodly universities

like the broke NEET you are.

Except that particular uni is on the level of stanford and moscow when it comes to math. I considered it, but didn't get in so i ended up in Caltech.

>Academic inbreeding
so would you recommend different unis for bsc/msc/phd?

>Academic inbreeding
what did he mean by this?

Its settled. The Earth is conular.

It depends
Not broke at all, it's easier to get research monies to pay for your tuition than you'd think. All I had to pay each semester was $100 out of pocket.

Going to the same school for everything is seen as bad in academia, because then you aren't exposed to other university styles or something

Masters student now looking to get into a PhD program.

Would you say its better to spend time learning, or should I be spending time padding my resume?

conical

Don't do a masters. Just go straight on to PhD. Masters is a mistake. Just do good research, that's all profs really care about. Publish papers

I start one in the fall in biochemistry. Congratulations.

Any advice? anything. everything. please, i know nothing, im going in totally blind and slightly terrified, like im not smart enough to be there

At what point, after you finish your first year phd classes and start being in the lab full time, should you actually feel like you're doing something?

I'm in the end of my second year, computational chemistry, and I feel like all I've done for the last year is stare at random papers and textbooks, maybe reproduce a few simple codes like making a hartree-fock SCF solver, and am not really any farther than I was a year ago

Don't be the drunk guy, you will be remembered as such. Get over impostor syndrome and read more.
Seriously, why are you wasting your time when you could be reading and preparing grant applications?
One of the biggest legs up you can get as an undergrad is knowing how to read papers as a first year student. As a biochem/med student the GMO's are scary and bad papers are a great introduction to how to tear apart shitty research.

about a year after your qualifying exam

There's no quals in my program, except for organic chemists. Our first year courses have final exams, they use those in place of quals, but they're much easier.

in europe you have to do a masters

>I feel like all I've done for the last year is stare at random papers and textbooks

funny, im doing undergrad research helping a prof and a postdoc and thats what ive been doing, read papers and textbooks

is undergrad research a good way of preparing yourself for a phd?

comical

DARPA is too revolving door with management. New blood is great, but someone needs to be around as an old timer just to get a feel for the entirety of the project they are working on. It is easier to see patterns in that manner.

Did anything ever come from the submersible aircraft stuff?

This is the earth without water

>earth without water
That’s not at all what it shows. What it actually depicts (hugely exagerated at that) is the Earth’s geoid: a way of describing Earth’s gravitational field. The original graphic is a product of the MATLAB package described by Ales Bezdek.

But going in totally blind is part of the fun! My best advice is find professor that's doing cool research, will fund you, and is nice to work with. Also join a lab group that drinks, better yet a prof that will pay for your beer.

THIS IS IMPORTANT: get a coffee machine if your lab doesn't have one. Coffee is important.

It hasn't gone away for me yet. There is still so much to do

phd in what

my dad has a phd he got in 1995 in math how do you feel op ur among the maybe 0.1 or 0.2 percent of people in the world with the highest educational achievement,

So here's the deal, DARPA pretty much never fully develops tech, they are more concerned with determining whether it is feasible and kickstarting it. By kickstarting it I mean getting to the point where other agencies will fund it or it's viable enough that someone could make a startup out of it.

IE see if it works then file away the result for use later. The submersible UAV stuff is interesting because that has very limited commercialization options. I mean outside of toys(I honestly wonder how many toys have come out of DARPA funding), what do you really need a flying UAV submarine for?

second, if something did come out of it, we'd probably not hear about it. Because DARPA wanted to use these things for stealthy recon, IE blackops shit, there is no advantage to advertizing such developments. There are good reasons to advertize other developments though for deterrence reasons.

Work is probably ongoing, just at places like military schools as student projects. No seriously, black ops gadgets have been developed this way. DARPA did the hard stuff, the rest is just a problem for undergrads. The work for this isn't top secret, just not advertized much.

Does it bother you that someone can be stupid and/or apathetic enough to use "their" to refer to a single person and still get a PhD?

the fuck else do you use mong

this person is vapid enough to care that they said "their" instead of "his" or "her". most likely a Veeky Forums shitposter.

Jess get back to work you fucking slacker

>computational

Dropped immediately. Computational work is pretty fucking boring tbqh wit you senpai. Next time, make something tangible.

So you did machines that cannot be made in real life?

What is the value of Pi?

Well we have been able to work out synthesis routes to make them

Computational work in this particular area is pretty exciting. Well at least if you're a huge autismo like me or someone else in this field.

Although simulation is still masturbation....

So we're fairly sure we can make them, we aren't so sure of the predicted performance

The circumference of a circle divided by its diameter

I'm looking at doing a PhD. Do you regret yours in anyway?

Fuck no. Although I'm a rare case.

That's good to know.