Has eating out become ridiculously expensive over the last 10 years?

Has eating out become ridiculously expensive over the last 10 years?

Other urls found in this thread:

mediaite.com/food/its-official-your-waiter-is-likely-smarter-richer-and-better-looking-probably-than-you/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Not ridiculously, but more than I'm willing to spend usually as an unskilled 25yo Murcian

Not at the high end, but fast food seems to have gotten more expensive.

>1 tortilla 56 cents

If you're making more than one burrito, you could get that whole burrito under 70 cents TOTAL
what a bullshit chart

>A bacon burger at Five Guys in Chicago is 7.99 + tax

Shit is nuts

Wages haven't kept up with inflation. Kill the rich, seize the means of production, so on, so forth

That won't fix inflation user. Learn some economics.

It's also become a lot better. As much as I fucking hate "social media" shit, review sites like yelp, and the ability for multiple people to agree something is shit makes it hard for shit restaurants to exist.

We kill the rich without getting the government involved, too bad everyone tied themselves down with kids, spouses, mortgages, loans and shit.

yelp has only ever given me shit restaurant suggestions. every place uses cheap ingredients and serves shitty food i could just make at home. none of the 4-5 starred restaurants are ever good because they're the most popular and well received by the average person who has shit taste and wants everything for cheap.

>none of the 4-5 starred restaurants are ever good because they're the most popular and well received by the average person who has shit taste and wants everything for cheap.

this is the same reason why ratemyprofessor is shitty for picking classes

Fixing inflation is impossible with the entire economic situation to such a substantial degree that anything less than a total replacement is impossible. Raising wages in the same way that wealth accumulation and subsequent stagnation through wealth hoarding have been proportionate to inflation will alleviate the severe inequality and devaluation of work, however.

You have a good point, but everything is relative to price. Yes, the average idiot has shit taste, but a place serving cold pizza won't last long. I don't use yelp myself; I was only using it as an example. My point was, It's easy to find out if a restaurant is shit, without wasting your money there.

Everything has become ridiculously expensive over the last 10 years.

Thanks babyboomers!

Except that bankers will always be paid more than fast food workers? Wages are determined by market forces, and family wealth is built by people who realized how important it is to save and invest. If anything we should be focusing on raising the financial literacy of the population and steering our culture away from rampant consumerism that fuels bad financial decisions.

This too. I get so fucking pissed when they screech "MUH MILLENIALS". The stupid shit they did in their youth is directly responsible for the shit they bitch about now.

>eating out

it's literally putting stuff in a pan and taking it out.

meanwhile you pay 10x the actual price, wait an hour for your mediocre (if you're lucky) food, then wait a half hour for your bill, and then have to tip 15%

why exactly would anybody without mental retardation ever eat out again?

I usually only order dishes I don't have the expertise to make. Why go out and spend $30+ on something I can make cheaply at home?

>can't wait for the boomers to drop dead
>don't want to hire stupid useless millennials

Kids, I'm tired of throwing your resumes\CVs in the garbage. Step up your game, I'm running out of Gen xer's to hire.

>graduate from college
>slave away at an entry level position so that I can slowly build my resume for my dream job
>meanwhile most of my jobless classmates complain about not wanting to settle for anything less than their dream job when they have never worked a day in their lives
I hate my generation.

>I don't use yelp myself
great, just what we need, another shitposter on /ck.

There's no opportunity for career growth or advancement when you have a goddamn masters degree and you're working at starbucks to pay off your student loans because there's like 10,000 applicants for every open position in your field.

this is a reasonable attitude. though i also like to get salads out sometimes just because it's really time intensive and expensive to make a single salad at home.

>majoring an area that requires a master's degree and is over saturated
You dug your own hole user.

The McChicken is still $1 dollar

*$1.15

It's like $1.45 last I checked.

also little caesars pizza is now $6 if you want the proper amount of cheese and tomato sauce.

>Except that bankers will always be paid more than fast food workers?
Cool strawman, but I'm talking about keeping the rise of wages proportional to the rising costs of living and other factors of inflation. The rising salaries of elite bankers others at the top of their foodchains have been disproportionate as well, regardless of any "saving" or "investing." Arguably I'd say such things are the biggest factors in said economic stagnation via income inequality contributing to inflation.
>If anything we should be focusing on raising the financial literacy
Uh huh. You show me one of said elite bankers willing to give away the valuable means and methods in a way that is achievable for wageslaves, IE not being surrounded by channels of nepotism or going to college for finance and economics (which is unaffordable or logistically impossible for somebody working 9-5 just to provide for their family while living in a dump owned by a recalcitrant, greedy landlord). Protip: there are none giving such advice, because advice alone simply does not provide the other means for opportunities such as becoming an investment banker.
>steering our culture away from rampant consumerism that fuels bad financial decisions.
While I agree about steering away from rampant consumerism, I highly doubt we agree on what those bad financial decisions encompass, or how to combat consumerism. Telling people "DON'T BUY STORE BOUGHT SHAMPOO AND SOAPS, MAKE YOUR OWN INSTEAD" does not work, will never work. Top-down deconstruction is the only course of action in this situation; elimination and wealth redistribution of those enormous corporations and conglomerates with strangleholds on the market forcing a particular consumer-oriented lifestyle.

>also little caesars pizza is now $6 if you want the proper amount of cheese and tomato sauce.

do you have to ask for it by a special name to get this?

Yeah, tell 'em you want the Greasy Sugary Cardboard Deluxe.

you have to ask for the "extra most bestest" pizza

Chain resturants have gone a shit ton like 80% or so

Locally owned shops have gone up 30% or so
Its actually not bad to go and have a nice lunch at a modern american pub assuming no servers to tip and drinks are resonable
Might run you 12-14 instead of 8-9 at a fast food place

So approx. $3 labour cost, time, and the use of another sites facilities?

That's not terrible actually.

>to cope with rising labor costs
says right there retard

>paying $8 per lb of chicken breast
Really?

Some of their prices probably jacked up so they did the same.

Fast food has gotten so much better though. 10 years ago "decent fast food" would be like maybe Chipotle or Five Guys. Now I can get a fast food meal literally made by Will Guidara for $13.

Also, I'm ok with this:
mediaite.com/food/its-official-your-waiter-is-likely-smarter-richer-and-better-looking-probably-than-you/

>goes to grocery store
>"yes, i'd like to purchase 1 cent of tempeh"

>organic black beans
As opposed to what? beans that come from my ass? Also, chicken breast where I live is like 4 dollars a pound, rice is cheaper than 12 cents a cup (5 cents), cheese is cheaper (33 cents), and tortillas are 12 for 2 dollars, making one 16 cents.

Total price would be
0.16 + 0.05 + 0.33 + 1.00 + 0.40, or $1.94.

>chicken breast where I live is like 4 dollars a pound
Do you only have one kind of store selling one kind of chicken?

I don't know, but it's sure as hell overrated. Almost every time I eat out with friends at a new place I can't help but think that for the price I pay for me alone I could have fed them all.

That's pretty fucking bad, it takes like 20 seconds to make it

One, stop saying 'elite bankers'

Two, ime, investment banking analysts have seen their salaries barely keep up with inflation with their hours soaring thru the roof while facing massive layoffs

Three, almost all of the wall St. Types are Democrats. Take a trip to the street once.

People do need increased financial literacy. It is incredibly easy to grow money if you save and invest in market indices which are extremely low cost, far beyond our extremely low inflation

There are people who are smarter than others and a cut above the rest, e.g. bankers and professors, who perform vital roles for the real world that many cannot do. Banking has done more to advance society than pretty much anything else on the planet

Whose labor will ALWAYS be worth more than that of others. We cannot ignore the truth that is IQ.

You talk of strawmen then attack a "recalcitrant, greedy landlord". Maybe it's just projection

Landlords are, by and large, people who have saved and not made financially crippling CHOICES such as having a child at a young age, marrying very young and using credit cards. They are usually self-made people in my experience and great people.

While I do agree that it is difficult to attend a decent school while working 9-5, and that by then it IS too late in the eyes of every school bar maybe Columbia's school of GS, their kids can just as easily get into top school's, all of which cover the entire cost of education.

I came from a poor background and, due to my classes and test scores , was able to get a full ride to a school that places many on Wall Street. I'm not saying this is as doable for someone living in gunshot-daily tier poverty (an absurdly small minority who live like this due to living under years of corrupt, Democrat-run, cities such as Chicago), but it is doable for the vast majority of poor children provided they have the intellect and work ethic.

Yikes, *There are always those whose labor [...]

Take away a few phantom 's my phone decided to place

Ok guy. Try going somewhere where the food isn't what you would typically make or wouldn't be able to make as well. Also try drinks/beers/wines that you aren't willing to shell 30 bucks for a whole bottle. Also have a friend or two.

The comparison is supposed to be as close to Chipoltle standards as possible for it to be fair. Just because I can find chicken thighs at the Chinese market for 39 cents a lb doesn't mean that should be the average or is comparable.

I find myself only going out to buy pizzas from dominos because i cant make a pizza for shit. I have a recipe book with my favorite foods and im content with having the same 10-15 things for ever.

Fast food is just a gamble, you never know if an employee is having a bad day and spits in it, if they hate you, if theres a fly, if they dont properly clean and sanitize, if theres soy, what the fucking chemicals they put in that shit is. Its addicting and satisfying because of how salty and carbed up it all is, but once you break away from it, you find yourself not really wanting it anymore. Price is also a factor, i remember stuff from the early 2000s being a lot cheaper. Bad wages and i guess inflation went up in a short amount of time.

That's actually terrible when you use the food is 25% of the cost of food model. You could've used much better examples than this shit. You also have to use utilities and wear and tear on instruments not to mention it shows little value of your time spent making it.

There's something to be said about this and I despise chipotle now but this is a dreadful example.

Lol it doesn't, every second even pulling the shit out of the fridge counts into the time. Then you have to wash the dishes there to, and that adds to making a load in the dishwasher(it's not free running a dishwasher) or more time hand washing them

Yeah I pretty much never eat out, but I do eat fast food a bit thanks to work. There's a quick Japanese restaurant near me that gives you huge portions for under $10 and the food is great, but most restaurants always disappoint me. When I want something nice, I'd rather buy a nice cut of steak and just cook it myself

>One, stop saying 'elite bankers'
Nah
>Two, ime, investment banking analysts have seen their salaries barely keep up with inflation with their hours soaring thru the roof while facing massive layoffs
Hahaha
>Three, almost all of the wall St. Types are Democrats. Take a trip to the street once.
I don't give a fuck what they are, they can claim to be bleeding heart Communists for all that matters. What they're doing is what they're doing, and what they're doing is helping to dig a deeper hole of wealth inequality that is gonna burst in their face as the middle class dissolves in favor of ever-expanding lower class that's sick of this absurd distribution.
>People do need increased financial literacy. It is incredibly easy to grow money if you save and invest in market indices which are extremely low cost, far beyond our extremely low inflation
Again, not disagreeing with you, but it's simply infeasible. What you're saying amounts to "why don't poor people just buy more smarts to make more money?"
>Banking has done more to advance society than pretty much anything else on the planet
kek I hope you don't actually believe that shit, bootlicker. In mathematics alone, I can think of way more valuable contributions that have come and will eventually come. Using economic speculation to hoard wealth does not advance society, if anything it is the primary deterrent to genuine academic research that could actually help people by keeping the next potential Einstein in abject poverty.
>Landlords are, by and large, people who have saved and not made financially crippling CHOICES such as having a child at a young age
No, they're idiots who purchase cheap land or inherit it, then rent it out. Holy shit you can't seriously believe that takes intelligence. If anything, it takes a disgusting lack of empathy and moral foundation. It's exploitation.
>I came from a poor background
There it is. I was wondering when this bit would pop up.

TFW

> 'Mericans won't even be able to afford to dine out in 10 years

>> 'Mericans won't even be able to afford to dine out in 10 years

Thanks to Barak Obama, you got the "Hopelesness & Change" you 'Mericans deserve.

This is why the poor shouldn't be allowed to vote. They barely contribute to society as it is, so the only value is their vote. We eliminate their vote and politicians have no choice but to finally cater to the middle class and the wealthy.

Careful with that edge

It's common sense.

Yes yes I was 15 too once, but I started reading books and stopped being a childish troglodyte.

>Careful with that edge

Actually, having an uneducated, group thinking population that "votes" based on what ever the media fed them that day is a pretty shitty system.

We got Obama "10 Trillion in Debt" who fucked us over, and now Trump.

Still happy with the ignorant masses controlling the vote?

You're not my mom!

>We got Obama "10 Trillion in Debt" who fucked us over, and now Trump.
>Still happy with the ignorant masses controlling the vote?

Doesn't matter if Trump or Hillary won, retards... you're all fucking stuck paying off your School Debt and National Debt for the next 100 years.

lol

Can you feel that death spiral? Even if they had a solid plan to reduce that debt the opened hands of the poor and uneducated are reaching out and locking the steering wheel in place.

>defense

Man that's a lot of billions. Imagine how much money and time we'd save if we could all figure out a way to just get along.

i barely eat out at all lately, its a scam, the food is gross and unsanitary.
Plus each time i eat at home i get better at cooking, all i get eating outside is bad service and an unreasonable bill
I wouldnt be surprised if eating home and then going out for drinks becomes the new normal

How do you know?
And, gee, who funds that media I wonder? The poor and uneducated people....... or the people who want to keep people poor and uneducated to further exploit them with this current lifestyle consumption and consumerism system? Hmm.
Why do that when you can be an emotionally-stunted manchild who licks boots and makes fun of the destitute while voting for walking orange creamsicles that make those destitute even poorer?

drive the rich away and take nothing because all factories are in china?

>Imagine how much money and time we'd save if we could all figure out a way to just get along.

Stop preaching to the chior & try posting that shit on a Muslim message board if you have the balls.

I'm sick & tired of 'Merican liberals cowards preaching to the choir but making double standards & excuses for Muslims

I had what was, after tax and tip, a half pound steak,salad and potatoes with rolls for under ten dollars. Considering I was an hour away from home I found it a good use of money and saved time

you can do wathever you want to potatoes and ground beef, its still potatoes and ground beef and im not paying a 500% mark up for that

n......no? :`(

It's ok to admit you don't give a shit about what other people think for you have other priorities. That is a quirk of you though and does not influence yelp on way or another

If you weren't some tunnel-visioned shit-eater, you'd know that there are plenty of Muslims that don't want other Muslims to bomb innocent people to fuckin' bits just as much as anyone else. Anyone else with common sense anyway, a crowd you are clearly not a part of in your attempt to pin the blame on a single group, which is stupid as fuck, and makes you stupid as fuck.

Given enough tax breaks, the Chinese might bring some of those jobs back.

>restaurants
>rising labor costs
Kek, what a crock of shit

the only way the chinese are ever bringing any jobs back is when they the us place and they force you into slave work

i have no idea what you meant to say there

>>>
>I don't know what the cost of production is!

about 300 dollars a month per child slave

>$10 tip

>Official
>Likely
>Probably
Who paid this motherfucker?

Its so tempting to see a potato and pea meat pie at a bakery but I always remember I can buy a 4 pack for less and make my own pies for even less than that.

I guess it comes down to how much effort you are willing to put in.

what about all the other fucking ingredients. marinade, oil, seasoning, aromatics.... these things are always so autistic.

>tfw local bakery is charging $7 for avocado toast
I hate this meme.

It didn't help that every fucking illiterate nigger just automatically voted for Obama cuz "muh black brotha"

and every fucking blue collar flyover voted for Trump.

Allowing the "general public" to vote was a mistake.

As a French I feel a lot better now about what the Germans tell us.

The problem is that we have retarded entitlement programs in which benefits are concentrated and costs are dispersed, so every inbred moron who belongs to a group has "muh programs" and if a politician promises to get them some more gibs they'll vote for him no matter what.

>steering our culture away from rampant consumerism that fuels bad financial decisions
I agree this needs to happen but you do realize that the people at the top literally want tge opposite of this right? Rampant consumerism and bad financial decisions on the part of the general populace are why CEOs have gone from making an average of 20x their workers' compensation in 1965 up to about 300x today, and why huge corporations can rake in tens or even hundreds of billions a year.

>Using economic speculation to hoard wealth does not advance society, if anything it is the primary deterrent to genuine academic research that could actually help people by keeping the next potential Einstein in abject poverty.
Greed hurts scientific development in way more severe ways than that as well. Look at things like the ability to patent genes and how much it holds back genetics research, or how corporate funding of pure research basically pnly goes to things that will make rapid return on investment or high profit, hugely skewing what gets looked at.

>kraft """cheese""""
fucking garbage opinion

>durrr
top 1 % nigger

If we're counting dish washing cost and time, then we might as well consider cost of gas and travel time when eating out as well.

I don't see why not.

Yes, labor costs haven't even really risen at all either so that's a bullshit explanation. The federal minimum wage hasn't gone up in years, and if you're a Big League Papa John's Jew you can just be like "lol you only get 39.5 hours so we don't have to give you healthcare or benefits" It's a cash in obviously because big wigs have realized that dumb people will pay more for meme foods and anything that sounds foreign. What I will never understand is how these 9 dollar burger ass fast food joints are so popular like bitch please I can go to the grocery store and get the best pound of beef I can find for less than that and make 4 burgers.

muh GRASS FED ORMEMEIC ANTIBIOTIC FREE LOCAL WAGYU BEEF BURGERS

you think I'm being hyperbolic, but this is just the hell that is around me.

hurr durr it's da ebil corpurashuns an shiet

Groceries seem to be getting more and more expensive too. At least for fruit and meat.

Well, the minimum wage sandwich artists aren't the ones setting the prices

Muh gib me free monies via wealth distribution so I can spend it all on tendies

Why do you post a question and the answer at the same time.
"become" is the questionable part I would argue that it has always been.