/SWTG/ 2.0

Not the original OP but here's your discussion hub, mates.

Finished The Iliad last week and right now I'm finna read The Odyssey.

Which masterpiece is your favorite, anons, The Odyssey or The Iliad?

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!tRdWHJYY!_3uUYqfzqIpRpVN2l8XNVw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

anyone made a reading schedule yet? i'd prefer a book a day rather than the two last time

>Homer
>masterpieces
He was a master of writing someone else's stories, but that's about it.

>Homer
>writing

Start with the greeks

I made a schedule. Still working on it. Will post in an hour or so.

I'm following my own schedule of minimum two books per day. Figured that it'd be faster and convenient to read at my own pace instead of catering to Veeky Forums's childish whims.

The beginning of the schedule is ready. The rest of it will be filled with the Iliad and related essays/readings before starting on the Odyssey. Reading load should average around 30 pages a day. Should I start us this Sunday, or sometime next week?

I want to give people time to buy what books they want to buy. I recommend buying the Iliad, the Odyssey, and A Brief History of Ancient Greece. The other two texts can be read via ebook. For ACM entries, you can just google translations of the Homeric Hymns.

I have ebooks of all materials and will post them soon.

And of course, people are free to skip supplementary stuff and just jump right to the Iliad if they want.

Required texts:
>The Iliad
>The Odyssey
>Sarah B. Pomeroy. A Brief History of Ancient Greece: A Political, Social, and Cultural History
Any edition of Ancient Greece, and either the full one the Brief one.

Optional texts:
>Edith Hamilton. Mythology
>Stephen Trzaskoma. Anthology Of Classical Myth: Primary Sources in Translation (ACM)

>ebooks
mega.nz/#F!tRdWHJYY!_3uUYqfzqIpRpVN2l8XNVw

>writing
lol

How is the pacing for the schedule? Too fast, too slow? I set the Iliad reading to be 30 pages a day, so following the schedule the Iliad is completed on day 29. That is 18 days to read the Iliad, and the 11 days prior spent on Hesiod, history of ancient greece, understanding mythology, and Homeric Hymns.

I think it's great, for me at least.
Didn't you say we would start tomorrow?

I'll jump when you start with the Illiad.

I changed the schedule a bit and planned out the Iliad.

Tomorrow seems a bit soon if we want to attract more people. That's why I want to set a date for at least a few days.

You can always start early, and in fact I recommend it. Or if you want something else, I'd say read the Introduction in the Handbook of Classical Mythology in the mega folder.

This is a great schedule, so thanks a lot for putting it together.

The inclusion of short essays along the way is a stroke of genius.

Thanks. I hope they will be beneficial to understanding the texts, and get people thinking about them.

the greeks huh?

... they really make me think...

Bruh I thought we were starting with Iliad?

He didn't write shit and it wasn't "someone else's stories", it was the world's mythological vision of a whole region, transmited by oral tradition. The fact that only Homer poems survived among a bunch that talked about the same topic says a lot about his magnificence

After heard a lot of people saying that they enjoyed The Odyssey much more than The Iliad I was kinda surprised that I found myself liking The Iliad better

Felt kinda patrician tho lol, plebs tend to prefer The Odyssey because it is much closer to a modern story / novel, in content and structure, while the Iliad has a more arcaic approach

Thanks for planning, the don quixote reading group seems so start on February 1.
we could start before or on the same day

Anyone else a big fan of Gorgias? Top tier, imo.

Thread for the new group