Hi STEAM majors. What did you all major in and how much money do you make now?

Hi STEAM majors. What did you all major in and how much money do you make now?

Other urls found in this thread:

bls.gov/ooh/life-physical-and-social-science/physicists-and-astronomers.htm
aps.org/programs/education/statistics/bachelors.cfm
aps.org/careers/statistics/upload/trends-phd0214.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_engineering#Overview),
magazine.engineerjobs.com/2013/want-to-run-a-fortune-50-company-start-with-an-engineering-degree.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>STEAM
Nice bait. Anyway
>Physics
>55k
Not even hit those sweet, sweet mid-career earnings yet.

what do you do for a living? do you have a bsc or an msc?

I'm an accountant. B.Sc, I tried for my M.Sc but failed, turns out Masters degrees are hard.

>Arts
>74k

You'll be safe for life living the dream I guarantee.

asking seriously (don't mean to be rude) - are you disappointed that you're not doing physics? or was this career change your choice?

What about SHTEM... with history?

Nah that's fine. Not really, I new going into physics that I probably wouldn't end up working in physics (although I did near end up there). What you have to understand that is that, you almost certainly aren't going to end up working in the area you did your degree in, not unless you're exceptional. For example go look at the growth rate for chemical engineers in the US, between 2014 and 2024 it's estimated that there will be less jobs created in those 10 years than graduate in a single year. That's true of most STEM subjects, it's not something people on Veeky Forums like to hear, but it's true. Most of us will probably end up code monkeying.

SSHTTEAAWM

sociology, science, history, technology, teaching, engineering, art, African American studies, Women's studies, and mathematics.

>Computer Science
>$0

Fell for the JOB JOB JOB MONEY MONEY MONEY! meme, hated the culture in this field, quit. I saved enough money to go back to school for a good long while and I'm thinking about geology, since that's what I enjoy. What are the people and culture like in geology?

>Gender Studies
>$300 starting
>Any cardboard box I want

Nah senpai, i'm by no means exceptional and i'm doing condensed matter in commercial research. You just have to sacrifice social life during uni, which few are willing to.

Maybe. I just figured with the dearth or jobs and glut of graduates, I wasn't going to end up in physics industry. What's your research looking at?

Superconductors. It depends on what you do though- condensed matter had a pretty big boom recently due to its overreach to material and nano, i was just lucky to pick this area. If i picked chemical engineering, maybe even grinding wouldn't save me from serving burgers at trusty ol donald.

There are job openings in industry for Physics graduates.

>Superconductors
Whoa! In industry? Do tell more, please.

>There are job openings
No shit. The problem is there aren't that many and the opportunities after you start aren't that great. Say you do condensed matter like user up thread, you'll probably start off as some low paid researcher whose only opportunity for advancement will come when the guy above you retires. That is unless you think there's lots of jobs in condensed matter research out there, where one can just up and leave for. Given the choice I would never work in the physics industry.

NDA. Lockheed.

Ba or bs in cs? Also what area of the us were you looking for a job

I know bait when I see it, and this is bait.

bls.gov/ooh/life-physical-and-social-science/physicists-and-astronomers.htm
>Employment change between 2014-2024: 1,500
So bls estimates that there will be about 150 new jobs in physics, per year.
aps.org/programs/education/statistics/bachelors.cfm
There's around 8,000 graduates per year. By the pigeonhole principle, at least 53 of those graduates will share the same job. Or more likely, not work in physics industry.

>mechanical engineering
>$80k
In my hometown in Kansas, too. Bretty nice.

Your graph shows bachelors. Do you seriously expect to work in physics with a bachelor?

Okay then. This says that there's about 1000 physics phds in the US:
aps.org/careers/statistics/upload/trends-phd0214.pdf
So 150 jobs, 1000 phds. 1000 > 150.

Noice, I just got my degree and there's plenty of jobs to apply to in OK.

>The problem is there aren't that many and the opportunities after you start aren't that great.
In Europe? There are many job openings for physicists as patent examiners and patent attorneys. Pay isn't too shabby.

>patent examiners
Oh god no. Talk about locking yourself into a job, what are you going to do if you get want to move on? Who's going to hire a 35 year old former patent clerk?
>Patent attorney
Slightly more respectable I guess.

People move between jobs like patent Examiners and patent attorneys.

If you start as a patent Examiner you can get promotions inside the patent office. It is also normal to transition to the profession and become a patent attorney. About 50 percent of patent attorneys take this route.

And 35 is still young around here. You have a minimum requirement of a masters degree and a preference for a PhD. About 30 percent of EPO Examiners have a PhD according to guesstimates. And 5 years post degree experience is strongly preferred.

Ageism is uncommon, many patent attorneys still work at age 70.

You can also transition between jobs as in-house patent attorney and patent attorney working in patent law firms.

I might be the only person who thinks STEAM is a great idea. For years now, (((they))) have been pushing for more cunts and niggers in science, driving down standards and excluding competent FUCKING WHITE MALES unfairly. Now that arts are included, the gender ratio in "STEAM" is actually in favor of cunts, while the mentally defective niggers can find a place that suits their limited prehuman cognitive abilities. While I'm quite certain they will continue to push for more cunts in serious subjects, the fact that the statistics are now against them will slow them down.

>sophomore
>undeclared

I can't pick one lads. I just can't.
t. engineering college student

>work at age 70

so this...is the power.....of STEM

What did you hate about the culture?

What about networking? Serious question, I'm getting conflicted messages here.

MechE BS
Currently $65k started at $55k 3 years ago.

It's the power of never saving for retirment like most boomers.

>the fact that the statistics are now against them will slow them down
thats very naive

>>feminist dance theory major
k starting salary
>>any job I want

>Civil Engineering
>$60k

Just started. Pretty good salary for Arkansas since cost of living is so fucking low around here. Shame the internet sucks greasy ass unless you're in an expensive-ass apartment in the middle of downtown Little Rock or something

What college?

nuclear engineering
60k, finishing my first year of employment in a few months (and hoping for a raise considering how hard I work and how much easier my boss seems to have it since I started.
It's not a bad salary for a little place in Georgia (I save ~1400-1500 USD a month after all expenses, including car payment, food, utilities, 401k contribution, etc).
May be going back to school in the near future as well, though not entirely sure what I want to study between physics, nuclear engineering, or medical physics.

BSc Biochemistry
PhD inorganic / materials chemistry
30k / year

I'm a grad student. Recent grad from my lab started at $105k if we're talking real jobs.

U of A at Fayetteville.

I'm kind of jealous of newer kids getting into it now. The Uni is finally getting its own separate Civil Engineering building complete with strongfloor for large-scale concrete testing

SHIT = S (Social Studies) + H (Humanities) + IT (Information Technology)

MSci Geoscience

>No job yet, just graduated

I would like to go into the petroleum/gas industry. However atm this very difficult. Hence, I am looking into geotechincal engineering.

Btw. anyone got any experience/stories in these fields?

>computer science
>1 year left
>25$/hr internship

>HS drop out
>became PC repair biz owner 2 times over
>93.6k/year was the max
>sold bizs
>became farmer
>make 5k usd/year or less
>can shitpost 90% of my waking hours now

Living the Dream

ohh shit m8, im about to graduate with Bachelors in geophysics in houston texas, got any advice for me m8?

should i just go for a masters asap or wait 2-3 years while working in industry?

>Industrial engineering + MBA
>age 32

~140k

seriously user, what does an MBA do for you, does it really help you out that much?

>tfw literally to inteligent 2 b rich

Well, IE is a really broad field (see en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_engineering#Overview), if you want to have high paying jobs ("climbing the ladder"), you should focus in management and costs, so a MBA doesn't hurt (Also it can help you make some connections). But you could still have my job with just an IE degree, probably.

Yeah, i have a Mech Eng degree also, but it's worthless, you get stuck and can't advance in a company. I kinda miss how chill the job was. Too many responsibilities now.

If you got the money for a masters, go for it! However, remember doing a masters is not easy!

I would like to stay in academia if I could, quite like the atmosphere. However, I need the money. Hence, I'm looking into getting into the industry asap.

Other than that I can't say much else. Since I'm just a fresh graduate.

Can't you just get a Master's in a field similar to MechEng like Petroleum Eng? MechEng is the most versatile eng degree, if you somehow hate your current job just find something that deals with the aspects of MechEng or just get a Master's in a field that builds upon MechEng.

You make $5000 a year? That's below poverty level.

I prefer working as an IE, i couldn't make this money ever with an ME degree. I only miss how easy working as an ME was, since i had way less responsibilities.

Also I'm trying to start my own business, a ME degree is useless for me.

CS + Math, 125k

Where in Kansas do you live

>make 5k usd/year or less
And you are still typing on the keyboard?
I am surprised with your life skills, user.

Science
Technology
Engineering
Aviation
Mathematics

Wichita

Industrial Engineering is basically business engineering

user, if you are still here, I have a couple of questions.

First, how many years do you have to work before trying to apply to MBA? Some say 3 years, some say 6 years, I even saw that only 1 year. I would like to hear it from you as a primary source.

Secondly, I am an Electrical Engineering major. Will MBA do me any good if I eventually want to go into upper-class management to "climb the ladder"? And also, which is better for "climbing the ladder," a small company or even a start-up, or a large multinational corporation? Which would produce more benefits in the long term?

Thank you.

keep in mind he might have been able to retire on selling the business alone.

EE have almost none (if any at all) business formation. You will have to compete against Business majors. So a MBA would be almost worthless, since any decent company would pick a Business major + MBA than a EE + MBA. Almost all engineering degrees are oriented at technical stuff, only IE and System engineers can compete against Business majors. IE and Systems alone have more CEOs than the rest of the engineerings combined.

Judging by the stats, it is not as dark as you portray it.

Take a look at this, at least:

>By the numbers:
>14 Fortune 50 CEOs are Engineers (28%).
>7 of the top 10 Fortune 500 companies are run by Engineers.
>3 of the Engineers running Fortune 50 companies are former military officers; 2 are service academy graduates.
>3 Fortune 50 companies CEOs are Chemical Engineers.
>3 Fortune 50 companies CEOs are Mechanical Engineers.
>2 Fortune 50 companies CEOs are Electrical Engineers.
>2 Fortune 50 companies CEOs are Industrial Engineers.

>magazine.engineerjobs.com/2013/want-to-run-a-fortune-50-company-start-with-an-engineering-degree.htm

IE, Systems and Bussiness engineering almost didn't exist by those times tho, so it's not a surprise most of them were Mech-Chem-Electrical. I was talking about recent times (CEOs born after ~1980), where the most important thing in the modern market is specialization.

My uncle was an electrical engineer and got his MBA. He became the head of a production plant and gets sent to places like Germany and China. You'll do fine.

>became the head of a production plant and gets sent to places like Germany and China
Basically, my blueprint of a good life.

What is the job like for a nuclear engineer?

this does go well with the fact that most aeronautical engineers dont have a clue how planes fly

Physics. Went into programming for the money and nothing else. 125-150k a year.

Aerospace engineer, can confirm

Also, I'm pretty sure all the pipes and stuff I see in the wing are for making chemtrails

"major" is a bit of a misnomer in the UK, you do a degree in a single subject.

That said:
>Masters in EE
>Graduated in 2008
>£59k this year, salaried in an office job
>Ironically is less than my peak earnings in 2011, cos I was earning serious danger money in offshore trips
>chose steady wage and significantly increased likelihood of not dying over flying around in helicopters and wondering why dolphins splash about near oil rigs

I don't know, I actually work as a physicist now. I work at a medical device company that makes LDR brachytherapy sources.
I actually had my dream job offer from Lockheed to join their compact fusion R&D team, but they rescinded the offer before I graduated, citing "restructuring."

Pretty neat. I'm still an EE student but I'd like to work in or near my home town (Michigan) and live with my parents. They say they're totally cool with it as long as I pay for my own cellphone bill and car.

>Chemistry
>$50k
>guaranteed raises every year by about $10k for the next 4 years
>free grad school after that

t. military

>Ph.D. in Art
>any canvas I want
>$300k starting

>oil rigs
Did you choose to leave, or has the market forced you out?

>Physics and Math
>$27k

RA position as an astrophysics grad student, more than enough to get by. Pretty much all I do is code all day though, might be able to get a comfy coding job after getting my PhD.

Genetics Msci (uk)
Finished this month so still looking for a job

geophysicist here, work in mining/oil exploration

started three years ago, have been making a decent living despite starting during a terrible downturn in all mining/oil

its not bad, lots of travel, quite a bit of time outside

currently in alaska for the summer working on a precious metal exploration project

How is salary?

ART MAJOR
ANY JOB I WANT
300K STARTING

steam isn't a meme, it is pushed by diversity and womens studies departments to get the same funding for their shitty babysitting classes that stem classes do

Do you have a bachelors in geophysics or a masters?

Geology/geophysics double major here.

$11/hr as a cashier. I cannot believe I wasted 4 years studying rocks. Kill me.

SHIEEET

S = Sociology
HI = History
E = English Major
EE = Elementary Education
T = Trade School

unfair to tradesmen

mountains and anime girls are illegal in kansas

"T" should be Theology

SHEEEEEET

S = Sports
H = Humanities
E = English Majors
E = Ethnic Studies
EE = Environmental Engineering
T = Theology

>EE = Environmental Engineering
kek

If I do internships during my Bsc will I be able to make it into SpaceX or NASA with a Biochem degree? If I have to get my masters before, I don't know what I would get it in. Astrobio seems cool but it's a meme as far as I know.

How many of these engys only have a BS?

SHEEEEEEEEEIT

S = Sports
HEE = Humanities Except Economics
EE = Environmental Engineering
E = English Majors
E = Ethnic Studies
E = Entertainment
I = Interior Design
T = Theology

Queer Studies, $-55,000 annually.

Did a major on Jazz Guitar, finished that and went back to college. Now Im doing a double major: Network Security and Pure Mathematics.

Working as a gov contractor: $90k

>Theoretical physics master
>Air Force
>1600(((€))) / month

>1600(((€))) / month
>19,200 €
Jesus dude, I've seen interns get paid more.

>tfw 2nd year of CS finished
>keep thinking about geo but scared of no jobs

will i end up in the same boat?