Our temperature dropped below 100c some 3.8 billion years ago...

Our temperature dropped below 100c some 3.8 billion years ago, is it possible we were closer to the sun and something made us move away from it?

>closer to sun
>AND something made us move away from it
dude don't fuck with my head like this

Well is it plaubable that a super nova happened in a galaxy say 10 light years away and the wind nudged us? Maybe earth quaffed some carbon gasses from what we know now as the sanandreas fault and that pushed us. I'm eating pickles and studying weather, give me more reasonable answers!

uh give me some pickles

No that's retarded.

Now give me some pickles.

your post is very poorly worded, took me a few tries to understand it

that's an interesting idea, i'm sure the drop in temperature can be explained by atmospheric composition, but it's still interesting to ask whether, if such a change in the orbit ever happened to earth or to any other planet, if there is a way to detect that change

are you serious? i'm not gonna help you with anything

I think we need to look at the planets in our solar system and see whether we can see anything that indicates they would have had a temperature drop as well, perhaps asking what could have developed some of the elements now present on them?

Fine, take all the pickles!

Nobody """""KNOWS"""" what happened 3.8 billion years ago... this is just fucking retarded

Well I didn't know why there weren't lucky ass charms in my bowl of milk, you know what I did? I did say "fuck it, this is retarded!" No, I asked Aunt Jemima "Bitch! Why there no Frosted Cherios in my bowl of fucking milk!" And you know what I got? I didn't get a life of blistering frustrating confusing unanswered questions, no, I got slapped in the face!

Possible, sure. Likely, no.
The most plausible mechanism to move the orbit of a planet would be an interaction with another planet.

Here's where the odds get very, very, slim. This interaction would almost have to be a one-time deal. The result would be that the Earth would end up in an elliptical orbit with the perihelion at the orbit of the interaction, and the aphelion at the farther orbit. Our orbit is pretty near circular, so ....

A second interaction with another plate would have to happen sometime, and in a very peculiarly precise way such that only *at* aphelion *and* with just the right amount of energy, the Earth's orbit would be circularized.

Being in the early inner solar system, objects would have constant interactions, throwing each other either in to the sun or far out there, until only those that are circularized and not threatening each other with gravitational interactions remain.

>constant interactions
you mean "episodic" interactions, Sherlock

Perhaps another large enough piece had an interaction and was flung some direction behind us with a strong enough gravitational pull to pull us back some.

Yes the universe expanding so tjhings move away from each other.

>Maybe earth quaffed some carbon gasses from what we know now as the sanandreas fault and that pushed us.
the San Andreas Fault didn't fucking exist 3.8 billion years ago. the North American craton didn't fucking exist 3.8 billion years ago.
give me some pickles, you roody-poo

No, volcanism and greenhouse gasses is what caused the temperature change

3.8 billion years ago?

Yeah I thought lava stayed hot forever

The point is, the odds are vanishingly small. The more plausible is that large aggregations in circular orbits began sweeping material and get more massive, and remain in that orbit as other large objects are doing the same.

During the period when gravitational interactions were 'common', it is unlikely that large rogue objects were crossing orbits.In order to be flung into such a path, they themselves would have had to have these interactions AND they'd have to be very precisely in the same plane in order for there to be pretty much *any* likelihood of interaction again. Any north/south deviation would carry the transgressor far out of the plane in terms of interaction.

Did it happen? Very likely. Pluto is an example. It's orbit is both elliptical enough to bring it closer the Sun than Neptune is, and its inclination to the ecliptic is also high - a whopping 17 degrees!

And its orbit is resonantly locked with Neptune, but in such a way that the two will never meet.

So perhaps, but still very, very, very unlikely. To the point of, I'll never say, "yes, it could have happened." I'll only say there are interactions that could make the possibility non-zero.

>10 light years
>Other galaxy
Uhh?

Well how fast to you walk to the Hades nebula?

Yes, 3.8 billion years ago

Bump, maybe a black hole went into event horizon much faster than expected causing only the 100c drop and nothing more?

what the fuck are you talking about

I'm talking anything that could have happened in the overall universe that would have caused a push or caused gasses to come our way, an event horizon is all that came to mind

No, it was due to increase in O2.

Could it be possible with the massive rate of CO2 over the past 100 years that we will soon reach another massive temperature drop? The poles are already shifting significantly over the next 100 years, and the solar vortex is moving down to the east of north america from what I understand, we have at least two things telling us that we will see another ice age soon, only thing is we have jackets this time, I doubt human skin will adapt heavily.

pic unrelated

That would make the Earth dangerously close to venus for a long time and there really isn't anything that can change an orbit like that in such a small time unless something like a planetary collision happened

The Earth was still getting routinely bombarded by massive bolides—this and vulcanism was likely the cause of the these elevated temperatures. There might not even have been liquid water under around this time.

We aren't the only planet that could be affected by such events, I think venus is close enough it could have been affected the same way.

Cooling planet, chemical changes in the atmosphere, CO2 levels dropped, etc. Distance from the sun hasn't changed much in the past five billion years - even if it does, such orbital changes would actually have to be pretty drastic to beat out the effects of atmospheric changes.

Strip away Venus's atmosphere, and it'd be colder than Mars. The dark side of Mercury is as cold as the light side of Jupiter. Distance from the sun makes a difference, yes, but it's much more about an atmosphere's ability to trap and distribute that heat.

>a supernova happened in a galaxy say 10 light years away
>a galaxy say 10 light years away
that activates my almonds, user

Now what's to say they weren't drastically changed? The earth, venus, merceury, ect could have been large ovular hot pockets 3.8 billion years ago and then a comet the size of the size passed by Alpha Centauri pulling everything just enough to make them what they are now?

-

Drastic changes in orbits would leave gravitational evidence in the orbital pattern of other objects and leave evidence in striations in the geological record. The moon's orbit would have a lot more wobble, the planet would skew quite a bit more, the local asteroid clusters influenced by our gravity well would be quite a bit different, etc. etc.

Unlike the electric universe folks tend to think, there is no evidence that we used to be orbiting Saturn when "it was a star".

3.8 billion years ago the entire solar system was different

Well that right there opens more possibilities that there may have been enough to account for a gravitational pull away from the sun. I am thinking at this point we would need to study the things on Venus and mars and see ask if they are things that developed from things that would have been hotter at one point, and then cooled from the distance change.