Why do Russian math/cs education BTFO the rest of the world?

If you look at a traditional Russian program in mathematics and CS then you see that both their pure math training & computer scientist training BTFO the rest of the world.

Why is that? The level Russians have their pre-teens do is the same level that advanced seniors in American colleges do.

Same applies with math training.

Why is that Ivan?

Other urls found in this thread:

topology2hsemim201516.wordpress.com/
math.ens.fr/enseignement/catalogue_en.html?annee=2017-2018#
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_in_Russia
dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2147976/Influx-Polish-children-schools-helped-improve-British-pupils-grades.html
youtu.be/-fphPeRvhjQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I think it would help your thread if you posted an example of their programs, I doubt most people here can read Russian to even look one up

This is considered an "Intermediate course" not an "Advanced" one. Undergraduate level.

as someone who actually took that class through that program, I can tell you the categorization of elementary/intermediate/advanced is fairly arbitrary, or at least some intermediate classes were obviously more difficult that the advanced classes. that topology course was essentially graduate level the year I was there, or at least the majority of the people in the class were graduate students

also most of the classes on that website severely underestimate the pre-requisites

topology2hsemim201516.wordpress.com/ if you want to see the lecture notes/homeworks/exam

That's interesting, but you also have to take into account the length of their studies. I didn't talk to anyone from Russia, but a friend's wife from Eastern Europe told me that students usually spend 5-6 years to get a degree. If American colleges had twice the time they have to teach something, they would also be covering more advanced topics.

In the end I don't think a Russian who finished his studies will know more than an American who finished his.

I did a very similar Russian program to this. Essentially the same style, different location. I know the difficulty here and it is as you described. My transcripts still show these courses as "undergraduate" ones (not sure about yours) and I can say that they were more difficult than any graduate course offered in my school.

Also, having done this sort of program I laugh at people that say Math 55 is the hardest undergraduate level course out there..

>My transcripts still show these courses as "undergraduate" ones (not sure about yours) and I can say that they were more difficult than any graduate course offered in my school.
I think they probably transferred over as undergraduate too but I never really checked, I don't think the distinction was too important

>Also, having done this sort of program I laugh at people that say Math 55 is the hardest undergraduate level course out there..
math 55 is probably particularly difficult because you're most likely a first year when you take it

Having a tough curriculum, and having students that actually learn that curriculum are two different things

I guess the thread wouldn't be complete without mentioning French mathematical education, which somehow manages to pump the most Fields medalists out of ENS

math.ens.fr/enseignement/catalogue_en.html?annee=2017-2018#

This. If the education were so much better then Russian schools would be the place to go for mathematics. But they aren't, American and European schools are.

Meybe there are things to learn from Russian education but that doesn't make their system wholly better.

The USA, EU & Japan undergraduate program is much shorter than Russia for a very good reason.

Because the intention is to push students into the graduate school the fastest possible.

Completing in Undergrad just the bare minimum course requirements quickly.

For don't lose time in Undergraduate.

The Bulk of most Study in Research is then done in Graduate School.

The Graduate Program in USA Ivy League, Stanford, UCLA, MIT or British Oxford-Cambridge are much tougher than Russia Program.

>Why do Russian math/cs education BTFO the rest of the world?
Their whole country's mindset has that same underlying despair and sense of life's futile helplessness essential to being a good code monkey.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_in_Russia
>Suicide in Russia is a significant national social issue[1].

The jews sabotaged our education system. I'm a sephardic observant Jew btw and I absolutely believe it's the fault of those ashkenazi old lady liberal fucks on the board of ed. Our education system in the west is absolute crap.

>Average Russian school

Man, look at those slutty qts

Russia looks fun in a depressively way; maybe it is because i live in a tropical country but i love the way the day to day life in Russia looks like, it's like a very long and tiring trip to nowhere in particular but full of interesting people.

>tfw you'll never eat semechki in class w/ a bunch of cute girls

They're a thinly veiled dictatorship that tries very hard to make people into useful tools of the state. You don't have a lot of choice, you'll either study your ass off or go into physical labor/military.

Like the broom good idea

When amerifats learn calc I, aka learn couple of these differentiation and integration rules by heart and do hundreds of tedious computational problems Russians learn real analysis.
All the courses are proof based, it's not like they have "Intro to proofs" in third year undergrad.

If russians were so smart they wouldn't be 1000 times poorer than the united states of the americas

>all these russian shills
I already knew most of /pol/ were Ruskies on a proxy shilling orange boy as the puppet for their manlet leader but fucking hell, why are you guys fucking over other boards now?

kike shill

>Girl sucking other girls dick
I know it's fake but what the hell

Пшли нaхyй eбaныe гopиллы, щa я пaпиpocoчкy зaбью дa вoдки бaхнy c Mишкoй-бaлaлaeчникoм и вaм вceм cpaзy пиздa oт мoeгo нeвъeбeннoгo pyccкoгo oбpaзoвaния, нaкa oбpaтнo.

it's a 150 million country, it would be weird if they didn't shit out at least a few talented guys, no matter how hard they fuck up

the soviet era was the golden age of russian math, because technical degrees were the least politicized, so they were a natural magnet for freethinking intelligent sort

as to

>Russians have their pre-teens do is the same level that advanced seniors in American colleges do

it's simply false. if we're talking math cicles vs ordinary students then yeah, but that's true in every country

I don't know what you are talking about? I'm Asian American and I took college level classes since I was a sophomore in high school. By the time college came around I didn't need to take any of the 101 math, chem, bio and physics.

I think russia is a neat example of wherever you go, there you are. They really are sort of weird but dont seem to mind they live in a shithole and seem like fun people.

Whereas in america we everything is really nice, pretty much everywhere, yet we are selfish, rude and conceited, especially to our own

Do you have a soul? My friend thinks that Asians do, but I think he's wrong.

I"ve met smart Russians and I"ve met Russians I'd consider dumber then niggers just like here in the US. Russians aren't any smarter then Americans in nearly all subjects except for maybe Computer Science.

t. poor/middle class

sounds like a dream for a liberal

Russians are brachycephalic, IE more Asian-like. Also they're literally genetically Asian.

Same reason why Swiss/Bavarian/NordItalians rule in engineering/maths, while anglo-celts and ibero-greeks can't do shit.

cephalic index just gives you raw intelligence.

Are you fckn joking?
Science is halfway dead in Russia. Brain drain isn't a meme. Almost everyone wants to "go away from goddamned Rushka"

Different teaching order for subjects.
It's like calling Americans gods at Organic Chemistry just because they throw in some graduate level topics in MO theory in there for undergrads.

>science = education
we get our math education from old soviet professors (or their disciples) and leave the country to do science elsewhere.
When old soviet school dies out - it will be the death of russian high education.

>racism
>russia worship
>agw denial

Veeky Forums is /pol/ now?

Russian hackers discovered Veeky Forums

>homology

h-heh

>2017
>doesn`t win some grants, so you can have same conditions as your ex-gf, which live in germanistan

how do you hack the hacker called Veeky Forums?

It wasn't very hard, the only class I had trouble with was biology and history cause it was not interesting for me. Math, chem, and physics was easy as shit.

This came from the Soviet era, where the vast majority of people didn't receive such an education and there was no pressure on the government to appeal to them; of course, then they set whatever arbitrary standards they wanted to.

This is especially true in Mathematics, as the usage of such a subject to the state was to advance the image of the USSR.

People like to make fun of Russians and Eastern Europeans, but they along with East Asians comprise probably the majority of talented maths/engineering professors.

Also, that school may look troubled but at least it's cohesive- that's more than what you could say about most public schools in the UK and France. Eastern Europe produces some damn talented people (just look at the PISA score for maths in Poland) it's just that they're poor countries, so naturally they're going to move elsewhere for financial reasons.

I'd go on a stretch and say that western schools are far, FAR more troubled than eastern european ones simply due to the arbitrary divides these schools make and how much students take these divides seriously- you have a variety of "sets" in the UK which groups students into classes based on a cognitive test they take at 11 years old. This test pretty much limits what qualifications they can get for the next 7 years. While children can "move up", it's very hard to do so as these children recieve a lower standard of teaching (and usually parenting). As a result, teenagers in the lower classes pretty much give up at getting any decent qualifications or contributing to society and the cycle of welfare continues.

Compare this to Poland- the system is very similar, but schools would much rather judge you best on how hard you work than on your intellectual ability judged by a test you take at 11. Parents are also much more observant of childrens' grades, and in Polish enclaves polish students absolutely boost averages.

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2147976/Influx-Polish-children-schools-helped-improve-British-pupils-grades.html
(yes I know blah blah daily mail fuck off)

They aren't because of the language barrier.

Russia is a poor country and they don't treat their scientists very well, that's why no one wants to go there. American education is a joke, but thanks to h1b and couple of other things it attracts scientists from all over the globe.
youtu.be/-fphPeRvhjQ