I've heard good things about gallium and its ability to break down some metals, and I want to use it for a project

I've heard good things about gallium and its ability to break down some metals, and I want to use it for a project.
Can I corrode raw bronze with gallium?
And if I diluted the gallium into a liquid, would that dilution still retain some corrosive properties? If so, what would be a good thing to dilute it in?
Don't worry I swear it's all legal

Other urls found in this thread:

treehugger.com/renewable-energy/350-miles-on-28-just-add-aluminum-gallium-alloy-and-water.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Gallium is corrosive to all metals except tungsten and tantalum, which have a high resistance to corrosion.

if you want it to dissolve into a liquid you'll need to mix it with urea

So just a gallium/urea mix? Or gallium +urea and then put it in another liquid?

gallium urea mix would be fine

Wait urea is literally piss. Could I just dilute my piss and dissolve gallium into it or are you fucking with me

dont know but you can extract urea from urine fairly easily

What is it about urea that makes gallium dissolve?

>buy few ounces of gallium

>poor it onto sheet of aluminum foil
>place residue from reaction in airtight container with hose on top going directly into car engine
>add water to chamber
>pure hydrogen is produced
>engine powered by hydrogen
>chamber runs out and stops making hydrogen
>rinse gallium off and start over from step 2

Or just use hydrogen in a fuel cell. Gallium is the safest method of storing hydrogen that I'm aware of, why isn't this an every day thing?

how do you regenerate the Al(OH)3 back to Al. It probably takes more energy to do that compared to the hydrogen you get out. This idea is stupid that's why it isn't used anywhere. There are also better uses for gallium.

Place the gallium on top of some aluminum (not foil, that's no fun) then reach through the gallium using a piece of metal and scratch the surface of the aluminum. Scratch it up really well. The aluminum won't be able to interact with the air. The melted gallium will seep into the aluminum(takes hours and hours usually). You'll be able to completely crumble the aluminum to bits with just your hands.

I've been waiting for this to be used in a movie for decades now.

gallium is crazy, aluminum fracking balls that go into a wellbore dissolve because of it

>raw bronze
wat

>Poor it
How to use alchemy to turn gallium into a CS major

the urea thing is bullshit

Most metals are only attacked by gallium very slowly. Unlike aluminium

I mean a piece of untreated and uncoated bronze.
If it helps anyone with advising me on a solution for my problem, I need something I can easily apply to a 12x12 inch area of bronze that is vertical about 15 feet in the air, and need to corrode about an inch deep. Any ideas for a good application solution? I was thinking using a telescoping pole with something I can spray or baste the gallium on, and a way to get it into an easily basted/sprayed liquid form.
Any ideas?

Time isn't an issue, I just need to be able to baste the gallium on and forget about it for a while.

>raw bronze
My sides, but hey if you wanna add a strong acid to it you can probably dissolve the salt into water. Otherwise you're gonna be wasting your time ever trying to dilute it, i read a study in undergrad where they had a sample of gallium in water for 28 days, it released shit all into solution and and the main body oxidized. And no it wouldn't be 'corrosive' you sack of shit

Whatever the thing it does to metal where it makes it melt. I need it to do that over a 12x12 inch flat surface perpendicular to the ground about 15 feet in the air. I'm not a science guy, dude, help a bro out. This was a little much for /diy/ so I thought I'd ask the smartest people on the site for some help.

>urea
spotted the troll

you'd have to smelt it. It's not practical on a commercial scale as you'd have to deal with alumina disposal and the increasing scarcity/cost of aluminum.

However, on the small, personal, or /diy/ scale...
treehugger.com/renewable-energy/350-miles-on-28-just-add-aluminum-gallium-alloy-and-water.html
>350 miles on $28
Seems cost efficient at the moment. I wonder how the weight:energy ratio is compared to other batteries when used as a fuel cell.

what the fuck, are you breaking into someone's house?

>corrode bronze
Gallium does diffuse into and weaken bronze, but i don't know how long it takes. With Aluminium, it takes only a few hours to permeate a large computer heat sink.

>dilute the gallium into a liquid
Use gallium indium tin eutetctic, commonly known and sold online as Galinstan.

No, as I already said this is legal. I'm melting the face of a bronze statue I have.

see
But with bronze it will take fucking months. Use a blow torch.

etching the surface of bronze and applying the liquid gallium will create an alloy that has a greatly decreased material strength.