I'm starting a PhD in Mathematics a few months from now. But something is bothering me...

I'm starting a PhD in Mathematics a few months from now. But something is bothering me. The last 3 PhD students in the group have apparently dropped off the radar - no normiebook, email address or linkedin. Virtually zero online presence

Even my professor has no idea.

Am I to assume they killed themselves after graduating because they couldn't find a job? I've heard PhD students have it pretty bad on job prospects compared to freshly minted undergrads.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_mission
mathmagic.com/product/pro.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

working for the cia probably

I've read their theses from the college libary's archive. It was written in Microsoft Word and graphs were made in Excel. I'm not even joking.

Maybe they found jobs and dropped their online presence to focus on work.

Haha, just kidding. They're totally fucked.

So suicide then? Seems plausible. I mean one of the guys unironically wrote their thesis in Microsoft Word...

top kek
still, i think being hired to do top secret or high profile work is more likely than suicide

Who gives a shit about that? What was his phd focused on? If he worked on stochastics he's earning more money that he knows what to do with it on Wall Street, if it's in stats he's probably working for google on their algorithms, etc.

I don't really think so. They're theses were below average at best. Mostly just a literature review and text book proofs and derivations

You do realize that theses are almost always a formality, right? They usually ask their professors what's the fastest thing they can do to get ther phd and do just that.

What tier is your PhD program?

Look, I dont want to freak you out, but if it's not a top tier program they are likely in deep trouble.

JUST

Check em

This is actually a good question, OP where would you rank your math department nationally?

top 10

They are working for Google, Wall Street, NSA, Lockheed, IBM, take your pick. They don't have a linkedin because they don't give a fuck about business contacts and they are set for life.

Scooped by the g-men. Your in school and you haven't seen the recruitment drive?

what does this mean? gmen?

originally fbi from government man but it's more like a slang for any of the alphabet orgs
man you're not very good at deducing things aren't you? i'm not him but that was pretty obvious

What is your IQ, OP?

>Suicide or Secret Agency.

Working for a SECRET Agency in a SUICIDE mission.
>Dead?
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_mission

What software would you use for a math thesis? Uh, asking for a friend.

latex bruv what else?

>

Adobe Aftereffects Pro

Internet Explorer 6

The old (but gold) Latex via Modern online websites such as Share Latex.
For example:
>www.sharelatex.com/project/5859b2885cdba1b212140807

HTML + Latex using MathJax.js
www.mathjax.org

Softwares like Mathematica, Maple, etc.

Adobe InDesign + Math Magic plug in.
>mathmagic.com/product/pro.html

ITT Delusional mathfags
They killed themselves, OP.

They fucked their lives up, and there is nothing to boast about. Social media is just vapid boasting. They lost their friends when they embarked on a 4-6 year stint of loneliness.

Take this as a warning.

They were tortured to death by Jews for aspiring to enter the Jew-Asian elite caste.

What school and what professor?

Veeky Forums

G Men = Government Men = The Feds

I hardly have a facebook account myself. My e-mail address is not posted online. I do not have a linkedin account. Why would you need to network period? If you have skills that are in demand then I don't see why you need to market yourself. I mean I imagine having certain types of education make you extremely desirable to certain employers so you don't need to care about networking. Even then what makes you think someone should have all those things you listed? It's not like you need facebook, email address or linkedin to live a decent life.

I think you are overthinking these things.

LyX is best.

>Even my professor has no idea.
If hes not worried about it then he does have an idea you dumbass.

I was never even aware this was improper

you act like you can do nothing whilst doing a PhD, not so at all, that is retarded

Writing in Word is wrong? What is right then?

>you act like you can do nothing whilst doing a PhD, not so at all, that is retarded
you don't act like the typical phd student, bugger off.

are you serious ?

Normiebook and linkedin is for, well ,normies. GET OUT REEEEE

No job? I have to do my own job. Maths would be bad.

High schooler detected.

I'm sorry. Did you need a custom font or something?
What can't word do that you would need?
Besides graphs and maths, just import those

They probably have no idea what being good at spreadsheets programs can do.
They probably have some vision of the 2003 edition in their egotistical heads, which is like comparing a Commodore 64 to a self-built gaymen rig.

So they could be doing super secret shit. They could have embraced the free software lifestyle and thrown away anything that doesn't use freesoftware.

Or third they could have gone amish or unabomber after discovering some horrifying truth.

What are they working on?

Thinking back on it, it doesn't seem like I've ever met a math PhD who wasn't a professor, and the only physics PhD I ever met also vanished from earth. I wonder what happens to them

They ascend to a higher plane of existence, study it, get a PhD in higher-plane math/physics and ascend again, repeating the process forever.

>They probably have no idea what being good at spreadsheets programs can do.
Oh god I had a good laugh.

>The last 3 PhD students in the group have apparently dropped off the radar - no normiebook, email address or linkedin. Virtually zero online presence
yeah it was the same for me. only one of his previous students made it at some university online.

I stopped math too after the phd because the phd was bad. My supervisor was here once a week, which is nice, but I was lazy to learn the topic and I spend my time watching tv shows. At the end, my supervisor did half the work after I was lucky to find that my problem was solved years a ago by the last theorem of a forgotten article.

Kill yourself piggot

I've been considering joining the foreign legion after grad is over. Maybe they did it too.