Mere Christianity

Have any of you been convinced by this book?

I am reading it right now.

Could anyone recommend similar things to me? I've been told to check out Chesterton and even Peter Hitchens. Are those good recommendations?

>Peter Hitchens
Don't bother. His book is just a big rant, more fitting for a tabloid newspaper column than a book. He is also clearly bitter about his brother's success. He even admits he only 'believes' because he wants it to be true.

>Peter Hitchens

lol

Wow, that is pretty sad.

Chesterton is a fucking moron. His writing is good be his ideas are worthless. Read Pascal and Kierkegaard instead. I have never touched a book by a Hitchens so I can't say.

whats wrong with chesterton

absolutely nothing, Chesterton is great

As a person? Manchild glutton who made awful arguments and attacked writers way smarter then him. Total pleb and proud of it. His fiction is fine tho.

I read it after already being sure of my faith but helped me understand more things about Christianity. Mere Christianity is a book I think everyone should read because it gives a clear and simple picture of what it means to be a Christian. I might actually reread it sometime soon.

Also, I need to know if Chesterton is worth reading.

>awful arguments

You're just mad that he has a powerful bullshit detector and things YOUR favorite "philosopher" is nothing but a sophist.

Nah. I just don't get my world view from children stories like a obese alcoholics. Listening to a man who can't even dress or shave himself is pretty pathetic.

I don't know what complex theology is, but I recall Peter saying that his book wasn't an attempt at it. It is personal and political and I would only read it if you already like Hitchens.

Chesterton sucks

Counterpoint: Chesterton rules

None of this is remotely true

*Donald Trump voice*

Wrong!

I read it when I was a Christian and did not find it compelling. It reminded me of Chesterton's meaningless wordplay.

Honestly, though, if you want a "convincing" book of conversion, read the Confessions by Augustine.

There is a man who is a mighty soul indeed, a great human being humbled before God. You should read his account. He's a bit more great and terrible a man than Lewis.

Then follow it up with his City of God immediately after. It's one thousand pages, but a fantastic read all the way through.

>theology
>apolegetics
>professional christians who believe for a living

In the same way a prostitute will convince you that love is the answer

Bump for curiosity.

Any reason to think this isn't just Meme Christianity guys?

I'm taking a Philosophy of Religion class right now and the first introductory text keeps name dropping Lewis. Give me reasons why I should read him. Give me reasons why I should not.

this.

Read it after I converted, enjoyed it a lot.

He has a way of expressing the fairly complicated philosophy/theology underlying Christianity in such succinct, simple language terms. He's obviously a lot smarter than he gives himself credit for, and the casual Hegel name drop was great.

I'm not sure if it will convert anyone, but it's a wonderful book for any Christian.

Reminder that C.S. Lewis was a cuck who married a feminist who already had multiple children.