Whenever I see discussion of the James Webb telescope someone invariably brings up the complexity of its deployment...

Whenever I see discussion of the James Webb telescope someone invariably brings up the complexity of its deployment, but is it really that much more complex than other advanced mission stages, i.e. Curiosity's descent?

youtube.com/watch?v=bTxLAGchWnA&feature=youtu.be&t=15

The pieces have to fit together so precisely it's ridiculous. They don't even fit together perfectly on the ground right now because they have to take into effect the thermal differences it will have in space.

Curiosity wasn't a $9 billion dollar mission.

What would reaction be if the rocket carrying the JWST blew up on the launch pad?

>tfw we can't do major engineering projects regularly because we spend hundreds of billions on health care for brown people

I will be pissed for days if this thing blows up

This is the real thought I have every time the JWT is brought up.

Ariane would owe a loooot of money

I would cry like a bitch.

its on everyone's mind, like a thorn stuck in their brain and it hurts more every single time they think about the JWST. it will be throbbing on launch day and it could probably lead some to die if it does in fact perish.

imagine if it gets to L2 and then the mechanism jams and it doesn't unfold.

>took over 20 years to build
>designed for a five year mission
>mission length goal is only 10 years

I figure if it malfunctions at l2 it's not too bad, in the future we can get elon to figure something out to repair it.

If it pops on the pad... Well there's gonna be a lot of people of suicide watch

They've made a big point about how they won't be able to repair it at L2, even more so now that the space shuttle is gone. None of the Dragon capsules or Falcon rockets are rated for human spaceflight to low earth orbit, let alone L2.

Best case scenario, we would have to call in a favor with the Russians.

It's a fucking space telescope. You can bet your sweet ass that it's more complicated than curiousity. Telescopes are some of the most complicated things we build

Then the SLS suddenly has a meaning.

>saving people and making the world a better place is less important than playing with toy binoculars in space

Science is not for people like you.

The church or kkk will fit better.

There's too many people, or rather too many of them are useless eaters. Net drains on society should be sterilized along with any offspring they might have..

>James Webb telescope

>how to spot the brainlet

Making the world a better place means being able to use science more effectively for things actually useful to humanity. One of those things would be space travel. Which won't be happening with today's population and political atmosphere.

How fucking unlucky you would have to be for it to explode?

At least they seem to have ironed out the early problems. I'm a lot more worried about the actual deployment of the mirrors and sun-shield

>Science is not for people like you.

I wouldn't mind if the state took out the healthcare that I already have to provide for myself, the roads that varely maintains and badly designs, the water and electricity that are already privatized and the sewer services that can be overcomed by simply using a huge septic tank.

So basically yeah, to hell with roads I want a house in Mars and to check out universal stuff.

It's just a mirror, not complicated at all.

so with this we will be able to detect the atmospheres of exoplanets in the solar system of yellow stars right? and TESS will give us the transit in order to identify them first, do i have this right?