Is it just me or is Chili the biggest fucking pain in the ass to make?

Is it just me or is Chili the biggest fucking pain in the ass to make?

> like 15 ingredients (if you include salt, pepper, spices).
> About 4 cans of shit to open (2 cans diced tomatoes, tomato paste, kidney beans).
> Requires a large fucking pan.
> Has to simmer for like 5 hours if you want to do it at all properly (1-2 hours is probably OK if you're content with shit chili though).

It's such a dilemma for me.

I love chili.

I can't imagine living life without it.

But seriously, making a half decent pot is such a pain in the ASSHOLD.

Other urls found in this thread:

dadcooksdinner.com/pressure-cooker-texas-red-chili/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Uh, there are a lot of cans to open, but that's doing I the easy way. Its not hard when done with canned goods.

Its a pain for about half an hour then all you have to do is get up and stir occasionally.

>pain in the ass
>opening four cans
How did you let your life get to this point user

Rethink your life and get a pressure cooker.

dadcooksdinner.com/pressure-cooker-texas-red-chili/

If that's too much work, user, buy canned chili.

How fucking lazy are you, it takes like 10 minutes of actual work time then let the bitch simmer for a while stirring occasionally

can't wait to make chili from vegetables from my garden with elk meat that I shot.

A Mexican I work with gave me a habanero seedling. I've had his habaneros before and they bring a helluva lot of heat so I'm looking forward to cooking with them.

>> like 15 ingredients (if you include salt, pepper, spices).
So what?

>> About 4 cans of shit to open (2 cans diced tomatoes, tomato paste, kidney beans).
Ooooh.....so hard....opening cans....

>> Requires a large fucking pan.
What's a pain about that?

>> Has to simmer for like 5 hours if you want to do it at all properly
So what? It's not like it takes 5 hours of actual work. You can do something else while it's simmering.

If you find this such a big pain in the ass I can't imagine how you can get through the day. Do you find things like tying your shoes or brushing your teeth to be a big hassle too?

>making a dish of stewed meat and vegetables is overwhelmingly taxing

Christ, native american women did it after a day of gathering wild roots and curing animal skins and it exhausts you after sitting in your mom's air conditioned basement typing on a keyboard all day? Fucking millennials.

>Dump a bunch of shit into a pot
>Turn on the heat
>Cover
>Stir once an hour
wow so hard

Grilling good burgers is more difficult than making a pot of chili.

>like 15 ingredients (if you include salt, pepper, spices).
Most of the ingredients are things you should already have in your pantry.

>ITT - newfags fall for bait

mexican mole is the real pain in the ass.

I'm an old fag and fell for the bait though

Low IQ

Did they not notice the cameraman's reflection in the spoon, or was that done intentionally? Seems kinda amateurish.

It's not hard. Maybe a bit time consuming with having to chop things, brown meat, and open cans. Though still not difficult.

Chili is the easiest food I make and it lasts for days. 10/10 poor person food.

Put beans in it

Just made chilli yesterday, I regreted putting in a small can of tomato paste with one can of tomato sauce. I don't know what I was expecting but it felt so acidic. Then I realized it tasted like the school lunch chili I had in middle school, and I remembered that I don't like chilli.

I rather have ground beef cooked seperately on its own as "picadillo" and eat it seperately with black beans cooked however damn I want them.

yeah i love when people are like "chili is so cheap, only $1 per serving!!" as though you don't have to buy all the ingredients first

it's just you
> fry the meat
> stew the good shit
> put it in a crock pot for ~4 hours
done
like, 40~60mins of effort not counting the pot
get good

>makes his chili with several cans
If your cans aren't just green chilis when not in season, and chipotle adobo, you're fucking up. Texas Chili is the master race.

>fry meat
>boil macaroni
>pop open like 6 cans of shit
>mix and serve
Takes like 20 minutes and minimal effort. I can make this shit in the microwave and frequently used to.

Seasonings? You should have seasonings.

nigga you dumb. if you think something as easy to make as chilli (where you litterally brown beef and then toss a couple cans of things in a pot) is convuluted then you should stick to fucking wendy's drive through for your chilli

Here's an easy but good one I use, can be scaled up for larger portions.

Ingredients:

About a kilo of beef, ground or pieces of chuck cut in to chunks
500ml beef stock
1 can crushed/diced/whatever tomato's, you can also use fresh if you can be fucked
1 or 2 onions
capsicum
fresh garlic or powdered garlic, I prefer fresh
fresh chillis if you want
smoked paprika
cumin
turmeric
cayenne powder
thyme
oregano
salt
pepper

Fry up the beef if you're using chunks and transfer it to a bowl for later, if I use ground beef I like to add it towards the end so it doesn't go completely soft

Fry the onions, garlic (if fresh) and capsicum with the cayenne chilli powder, when the onions have gone translucent add the can of tomato's, cook for a few minutes and then add beef stock, the spices and the beef chunks back in to it.

Cook for a good few hours or until the beef is nice and tender and the sauce is thick enough for you, it's a good idea to stir it occasionally and taste it every once in a while so you know whether to add more shit or not.

1 ingredient chili
you're welcome

Dude just make a big load and put it in the freezer. Chili holds up great and reheats fine. A bunch of moderate sized containers, no air, and you pull one out whenever you feeling it.

Are you kidding? It's piss easy. And once it gets to the simmer stage I just sit on the couch and watch tv and then get up occasionally and stir.

Looks delicious but the cameraman's reflection in the spoon is pissing me off.

Are you serious? , it's the ultimate throw shit in a pan and leave it alone meal.

this

What the fuck is wrong with you if you care about cooking and don't own a pressure cooker? Chili is one of the easiest things to make

that looks like chili con feces

I used to feel the same way until I started making a lot of stews and bean dishes. Food that looks like that, if seasoned properly, can be the tastiest since everything is usually tender, flavors melded, with a rich sauce, etc.

I'd love to get a pressure cooker since I eat beans so often, but I also don't want to die because of it.

Get off my board, shitstain.

Red or Green Capsicum (peppers) in Chilli? Which is better?

Modern pressure cookers have mechanisms that prevent exploding pots. For example, the lid is locked in place and cannot be opened when there is any pressure remaining. Also, there's usually a rubber plug or gasket that will blow long before the lid or pot. But you have to inspect them and replace periodically. Also, you don't just turn the burner on high and leave. You monitor the temp until the pressure gauge stabilizes (for my Presto it's usually 4 on an electric stove).

I kept a close eye on mine the first couple times I used it.
Now I know exactly which setting on the hob gets me pressure without an explosion.
A modern pressure cooker is quite safe anyway unless you turn up the heat to full and leave the house.

>lights on
>2:20 on the clock

Someone was drunk and fell asleep.

to add on to these posts modern electirc pressure cookers are much safer and you dont have to worry about explosions as its self regulating

IDK looks like natural light on the right of the picture

Reminds me of the boiled dolce de leche screencap.

I've seen people recommend a pressure cooker but I've done it just fine in a rice cooker. It's great and while it isn't as fast as a pressure cooker it works just fine and is a great example of how a rice cooker isn't a unitasker.

trippie dubs
pls post screencap

>Is it just me or is Chili the biggest fucking pain in the ass to make?
Not really. I consider it "pantry" food, where you just open up ingredients you always have on hand, while you brown your previously frozen ground beef.
I don't get your "need a big pot" and a desire to make 1/2 a pot. Maybe if you like chili so much, you should freeze some next time you make it, and then you can reheat it on demand.

I find chili one of the easier recipes to make as it requires 1 dish (big ass pot) and that's it. Really simple if you go full ez mode and get all cans
>canned tomatoes
>canned chickpeas
>canned corn
>canned black eye peas
>canned kidney beans
>bag of shredded carrots
Hell even the spices come prepared for you. Chili is a very simple and cost effective way to feed people as it can make a lot without much more prep.

B-but then I have to open more canNZ1!!;;1;!!!1!

>complaing about opening a fucking can

Fucking lazy cunt, americans are doomed.

Why would you shoot elk meat?

is shooting elk meat an effective way of tenderizing it? Like does this work better than just hitting the meat with a tenderizing mallet? I assume you shot the meat with shotgun pellets to kind of break it down. Steel BBB seems like it would be the best way to go - big enough to dig out and not dangerous if you don't remove them all.

how is the better business bureau going to tenderize meat?

where's the beans?? 4/10

>calling this abomination chili

i will murder you

>all this bullshit
>in chili
>no mention of goddamn chilies

fucking christ

>Hell even the spices come prepared for you.
I think he's talking about a chili seasoning mix, which usually does have powdered chili in it.

>ground beef chili
yuck, chuck, pork, or maybe chicken cubed. Never ground

>1 lb meat
>1/2 to 1 whole chopped onion
>1 1/2 cups of cooked beans or 1 can of beans
>2 cans of diced tomatoes with green chili
>1 foil packet of chili seasoning

>brown meat with onions in pan
>mix everything together in a big dutch oven
>bring to a boil
>simmer for 10 minutes
>it's done

WOW THAT WAS HARD.

>>he uses packet spices
>>he only simmers for 10 minutes

point and laugh, ladies and gentlemen.

I don't really like beans unless they're baked beans on toast or with an English breakfast, add some beans in if you want them you fucking freak.

If you simmer that longer it'll be too dry. If you really think that simmering it longer will cause voodoo magic to make it taste better (it won't) you'll need to add water. I speak from personal experience.
Also, don't knock pic related until you've tried it. It's delicious.

>water
Ever hear of using a lid? And why would you add something flavorless like water anyway?

>It's delicious.
No. It's the shittiest spices money can buy.

Your cooking skills are awful.

>water can't escape from a lid
>calling something he hasn't tried shitty

Add stock or beer nigga, also those premade spice mixs aren't the greatest

>water can't escape from a lid
Exactly. Now you seem to understand.

I've tried it plenty of times. It was what my inept parents used. My own personal experience buying the flavorless dust known as McCormick spices before I learned better backs up that experience.

That's why I know it's shit.

Why is every Veeky Forums thread today about children learning to cook?

I've personally visually witnessed steam escaping from my Le Creuset dutch oven with the lid on, and if you haven't tried that specific chili mix you have no basis to comment on its quality.

It's summer and millennials are out of school. We've got a long 3 months ahead.

>I've personally visually witnessed steam escaping from my Le Creuset dutch oven with the lid on

Lower the heat, genius. OFC steam will escape if you have the heat too high. Lower it.

>you haven't tried that specific chili mix you have no basis to comment on its quality.
I've made chili countless times. I know damn well that mix sucks ass.

Here's a real chili recipe for you.
We start with actual chili peppers. The dish is "chili con carne"--"chili peppers with meat". The peppers are the main part of the dish. Why would you want to use some shitty powder as a substitute?

Clockwise from top left: Anaheim, Guajillo, Arbol, Ancho, Jalapenos, and habaneros.

Remove stems.

The dry peppers go into the blender. Add beer or some other flavorful liquid like tomato juice, beef stock, etc, to soften them.

While the peppers are soaking go light your grill. Season some beef. Here I have some sirloin steaks. That's not the ideal cut for chili, but they were on sale.

Get the steaks and the green peppers on the grill. Don't worry about cooking through, just get a good sear on the meat and blister the skin of the peppers. We want to get that smoky flavor from the fire.

You should have something that looks like this.

>Exactly
>OFC steam will escape
>hey guys check out my recipe it's really good even though I'm so stupid that I said steam can't escape from a lid and then had to take it back when someone pointed out how stupid I am

Cut up your peppers.

If you want the heat to be mild then remove the seeds and the core.

>intentionally making your food carcinogenic

I assumed it was obvious that if you didn't want steam to escape that you'd keep the heat low.

I assumed wrong because you're clearly too stupid to understand that. Your damage control is as bad as your chili recipe.

Anyway, back to cooking. Peppers go in the blender.

Blend away!

>Thinking the "cancer risk" is actually significant

Cube your meat.

When are you going to get to the beans?

Chili is best with a variety of meats, so get those ready too. Clockwise from top left: bison, pork, venison.

>le millennials lazy meme
Fool, its not millenials that invented pop tarts and TV dinners.

I'm not using any. If you like go ahead and add them when the liquid goes in the pot.

Onions, beer, tomatoes, vegetable juice.

Other good choices for liquids are stock/broth, or straight-up tomato juice. You could also puree some watery tomatoes or onions and use that.

Brown your meat. The flash is making this look light in color. It should be browned, not merely gray. Get some color on there for the malliard....

>I'm not using any
Stopped reading. Worthless.

Onions next. The moisture from the onions will deglaze the pot for you.

>malliard
?

Surely you are smart enough to realize that you can modify the recipe to suit your preferances, right trollio? If you want beans then add beans.

You posted a mallard. I'm talking about the Malliard chemical reaction. Google it.

Everything else goes in the pot now. The dry spices you see are smoked paprika on the left and cumin on the right.

Lid on. Very low heat. Several hours.

Here we are at around hour 3.

What the fuck is a Malliard reaction? I know what the Maillard reaction is, but what the fuck is a Malliard reaction?

Done at around 5 hours. By that time the booze I was drinking had kicked in and I wasn't exactly sure of the time. Just keep checking until the texture is right.

>>but what the fuck is a Malliard reaction?

A misspelling. Isnn't thaat obviouss?

>no beans
Not chili.

i pressure cook my beans in advance, drain and store in fridge. When I want chili, I pressure cook soaked lentils, split peas, and carrots, which takes no time at all, then I simmer that with the beans and spices and other stuff in a saucepan.

Takes less than 30 minutes to make, including the time it takes for the food to cool down enough to eat. I eat chili every day.

you forgot the beans

Looks bloody good.