Hey Veeky Forums, I'm at a crossroads in my life right now. I can either take over my fathers company and be rich...

Hey Veeky Forums, I'm at a crossroads in my life right now. I can either take over my fathers company and be rich. I was lucky to be born into an extremely wealthy family. Or I could pursue my dream of being a physicist. I've wanted to be one ever since I was 13. If I choose Physics I plan on getting a Phd, and if I choose Business a masters.
What should I do Veeky Forums?
dream of science? or money?

>money or science
>implying that all STEM jobs don't pay 300k starting

Depends on how much you care about being a physicist. If you're like me, you'd go for science, rather than money. How much do you care about money, and how much do you care about being a physicist?

Also how wealthy are we talking?

You can do both. Not that you have either choice IRL, but that is a nice LARP.

I really care about being a physicist. Doing research is one of the few ways that I see my life having meaning

Money isn't essential to me but I'm not keen on the idea of having to be extremely conservative and stingy

>Also how wealthy
My family is top 100 in my country

How could I do both? If I do both I will probably never be able to contribute to science

>take over my fathers company and be rich
don't be retarded. Take what is given and say thank-you. You can fund your own pet project science projects once you're rich. WTF is wrong with people where this is even a question.

If I decide not to, My younger siblings are more than happy to do so. If I were to choose one, I would like to dedicate my life to it

Then go for it man. Realistically if your family is in the upper percentage you'll live comfortably as long as you're not retardeded with your money and as long as you don't get disowned. I can't really imagine much reason to do anything if it doesn't make you happy.

Do you think you'd be happier in 50 years if you chose money or physics right now?

Are your siblings the sort to support you if you become poor?

Given your family situation, no matter what you do, you're not going to end up poor anyway so just choose physics.

Do you actually have a shot at contributing to science? If you think yes, why do you think this? If no, go with business.

take the company obviously, pursue being a physicist later or in your spare time. shit, you can minimise or sell it off too.

Why not both? At same time.

Elon Musk gave up a Physics PhD in Stanford & became billionaire.

But if Elon had a PhD he could work in 2 fields.

1st finish a PhD then you can
Run the business, give lectures in an Uni & do research at same time.

In my University there are some professors that run business.

For example in my University there is a Jewish-Italian Professor of Nuclear Engineering which runs a MechE Company and 3 Italian Restaurants.

>Are your siblings the sort to support you if you become poor?
This is the important question.

Are you good at running a business, OP? Did your father teach you well how to manage and grow it? Whichever path you go down, you have to devote yourself to it fully and believe 100% in what you're doing.

I personally think that, if you're well-suited for it, you should choose the business. You can always start a PhD later, but you might never get another opportunity like this. Like I said, though, don't do it and then spend your days wishing you were a physicist.

Look it's easy, if it's a family business and your siblings will share the money, then go for physics because it's clearly a passion of yours. If not, money all the way.

Nice LARP

Anyway, go for physics, you dont need college to run a biz for fuck sakes, let your father teach you the trade secrets.

Why not go for physics and get some shares from the company?

You should get into business - use the capital to invest heavily in science and technology.

That's what I'm doing - I want to push the frontiers of science, but instead of being a lone scientist, I'm doing business. I hope to push the frontier and enable heaps more scientists to do research. It'll have a greater impact. Like what Elon has done - instead of writing fucking papers on batteries, he's actually enabling heaps of other scientists, engineers, etc. to to push the paradigm which is far more worthwhile than if he were a lone researcher.

How about you fuck off to This isn't Veeky Forumsence related

This. Business "degrees" are just shams for rich people's shitty talentless kids. They all end up getting well paying jobs because of daddy's contacts, not because of their worthless fucking business degree.
As a physicist however, you get to do some cool shit and your data analysis skills will be useful everywhere.

>My family is top 100 in my country
if what you say is true then you can contribute more to science if you have the money to pay 100 others just like you and you could lead them down the path you want

But if what you say is true, only your are from a country like nigeria, then your top 100 family means nothing and pursue science

Seriously user, think about what I have to say.

scientific milestones are very rarely achieved by the individual anymore. it takes teams of scientists with funding to produce. If your family actually has the resources you say they do, and your interest lies in science then the most logical course of action would be to use your wealth to pursue science with a team of scientists.

I am on the science side of things and I agree with this kind of philosophy for humanity. It's much more powerful than lone scientists going for individual glory.

I'm quite interested in your idea. So do you suggest me going for a Phd and then running the business?

Do you live both STEM & Business?
Are you really rich?
Then Try to be the next Elon Musk.

Take over the business, and found a branch off business for research
contribute to science by funding science

I'm the user who this user replied to.

You don't need a PhD. The only people who need PhDs are researchers. They don't help in any other way. A Bachelors is sufficient, you could get a masters - but anything more is unnecessary.

Yes, although I would like to do some research as well. Do you see my problem here?

>I was lucky to be born into an extremely wealthy family.
>My family is top 100 in my country

Illuminati Confirmed

nope just jewish lmao