Aurora

Bluepill me on the Aurora, a legendary black project aircraft.

Apparently this F U C K I N G T R I A N G L E is capable of hypersonic flight. Stories about this thing are universally written and believed only by normies with no aerospace education. I know there are some aerospace fags on this board right now. Convince me that this thing doesn't exist for technical reasons.

>go to /v/ to answer your aircraft related question
fucking love you Veeky Forums

he's right btw. back to /pol/

>tell me this engineering question
>reee go to /pol/

Anything can be made into a plane, as long as you have enough control authority and fly by wire.

But it could exist? Whoever drew that image obviously was your typical artist, that is to say stupid. A triangular place with highly integrated small wings could very well reach mach 5-10. It is dumb to believe that such a project could be developed completely in the dark, though. First for budget reasons (where would the money come from?) and second because it would be a very strong psychological weapon.

The Aurora may very well have originated from conceptual designs coming from someone working at one of the research branches of the government, skunk works or whatever. This is just my idea, but the DARPA HTV-3X is surprisingly similar.

The plane that publicly holds the record for fastest ever manned flight (rocket propelled though, so in a different class to the SR-71) is also pretty much a triangle. It actually has pretty high drag in subsonic flight. One of the X-planes but can't remember which one.

More than likely, something that could be described as being the Aurora has been under active development for decades, however, something under active development doesn't mean a working prototype has been produced. Everything about the Aurora is technically feasible, however it would be an extremely challenging engineering task to make a operational aircraft. Lockheed Martin proposed the development of a successor to the SR-71, called the SR-72, it's a hypersonic UAV that actually fits the description of the Aurora, however the SR-72 may be completely unrelated.

It may have been possible that something like a rocket powered prototype existed in the 1980s, and maybe it was just design studies. Now the technology is more mature, which is why we're seeing unclassified reports of hypersonic aircraft by the US government.

The air force has ways of pocketing money for secret projects.

>the airforce has ways of pocketing money for secret shit

That was one of the theories behind the price gouging that LockMart did for the F-35 and where some people think that a lot of the insane amounts of excess funds go to. I have no source but IIRC the common number that they come up with in terms of the amount of "Undocumented Spending" is in the Billions of dollars.

There were a couple names for it besides Aurora, such as wave-rider and banshee.

It was suppose to "surf" it's own shockwave and boost itself every few moments/minutes. At least that's the tech that I have heard of.

This, given sufficient thrust pigs fly just fine.

That's ridiculous, nobody has the technology to do certain things. A normal plane at higher mach speeds would literally disintegrate mid flight so it needs a certain shape and materials.
I hate smartasses like you who act like anything is theoretically possible without taking into account practical limits.

there wewre probably like a dozen projects called aurora over the years. they like to reuse these cool names to add extra confusion

>he thought the user really meant pigs could fly
You must be a special kind of retard.

No you dumbshit I meant that a plane of any shape could fly in hypersonic speeds as long as you put a strong enough thruster on it

I know it's a shitpost but just in case its not, it's a joke motherfucker, the meaning being that the aircraft can have a retarded shape but if you have enough trust and the right materials it will fly.

Stop being retarded. You're obviously wrong.
You keep saying this, though in more hyperbolic terms (revisionism on your part):
>the aircraft can have a retarded shape but if you have enough trust and the right materials it will fly.
but that doesn't make it true.

Every modern fighter jet is aerodynamically unstable. That's what the joke's about. No go end yourself.

The x-15? Its a missile with a cockpit,hardly triangular

"Aurora" was the B-2. It's a gigantic batman symbol that bombs people and doesn't show up on radar.

You're thinking of either the X-51 or the XB-70

What I read about this is pretty neet desu.
Well none of it is true but here's how it goes.
It only requires improbable super-conductor elecro-magnets and batteries with more power density than the Sun.
If you can have that, then it's ez.
We're faced with the problem of going incredibly fast in the high atmosphere without melting.
Leading edge of the craft is made of super-conductor allow in which you run super high current. It ionize the air hitting it.
Then it's a matter of redirecting it with magnets fast enough.
Now that's just plain bs, but where it's somewhat clever, admitting the above is feasible, is that it just works on a somewhat regular jet engine.
Except you compress air by magnets on the engine intakes, and use the induced current to do the reverse on the exhaust.
Something like that.
Also it does bunny hops over the athmosphere, because somewhere along the way, the laws of physics became irrelevant and it reaches a regime where it starts generating too much fucking power and would just accelerates itself exponentially if left in level flight.
Nice fairy tale.

>F U C K I N G T R I A N G L E is capable of hypersonic flight.
On what altitude?

as high as the people who believe the Aurora exists are

The "Aurora" uses a Foaming Gelled Benzine as fuel.
It is refuled from several bases around the world.
My uncle used to transport the fuel.

>The "Aurora" uses a Foaming Gelled Benzine as fuel.
Never go full retard.