So is this basically just anime in book form?

So is this basically just anime in book form?

Anime are books in a real art form.

Books are a form of anime art.

Where are the catgirls?

It's the original anime desu

the four classics novels are actually the foundation for all anime

Is Romance of the Three Kingdoms like Legend of the Galactic Heroes? Cause I would totally be down for that.

It's harder to understand and more abstract than LotGH. LotGH in the first place is like a watered down philosophical treatise where the two main characters embody the very best of their ideologies and it's the execution in a futuristic environment that gets it the fame. People lambast the dialogue in LotGH when in reality that's literally what it's all about, and it's same thing with the Three Kingdoms, but more often than not the action happens offscreen like in a play. But do read it, the characters like Cao Cao and Zhuge Liang are more immortal than their actual historical counterparts.

If I could make a comparison yes the Three Kingdoms is like LotGH, Journey to the West is like an episodic shonen, Water Margin is like a collection of heroic tales where the heroes are all rogues, and Dream of Red Mansions is the GOAT and similar to Buddenbrooks by Mann or the Makioka Sisters if you've ever read them

Guys I want more anime to read. Can you all post some suggestions?

Arto Paasilinna's books often have a somewhat ridiculous premise that can feel anime-like. Not sure if his books are translated into English, though.

Thanks, he seems like an interesting fellow.

I think there should be a general manga and literature crossover thread up here every once in a while.

If you haven't already read Musashi by Eiji Yoshikawa. It has 1000+ pages so it'll keep you occupied for a while, but despite the length it's not complicated or hard to read, at times it does feel like some anime/manga. think berserk or vagabong

I can definitely see how he takes Japanese historical traditions into his own and makes a continuance of many of the early historical themes in a fashion which could be compared to many manga which draw on familiar traditions.

Tell me more...

No, it is the granddaddy of all anime.

what is the mahou shojo of literature then

The monkey (Sun Wukong) is basically an anime OC. He can shape shift, he can fly, he's immortal, his weapon is 13500 lbs and he wields it with ease, he can create clones of himself with his hair (useful for slaying demons) he's super fast, and he rebels against the army of heaven and wins.

Peter Pan

but he is a dude

I had to read Chinese "literature" for a world literature class, including Monkey, and it was incredibly boring, mostly for these reasons. The fact that this is a cultural classic is hilarious. I like Chinese culture in general, but literature is not their strong suit.

>i am cunt and not fun allowed

Anime is the sublation of literature. It preserves literature while transcending it

>reading an abridged version of anything

You have to read all four volumes of Journey to the West, user.

? How did you draw that conclusion? It's not fun, or funny. I attacked it purely for being boring.

>for these reasons
How is a monkey having awesome powers boring?

>literature is not their strong suit
I have a hard time believing you have enough knowledge to make that call, tbph

becart footpath

What particular characteristics would you say defined LotGH?

RotTK is a collaborative work, first written by Luo Guanzhong and later altered through the centuries to support whichever ethnic/cultural faction was the ruling dynasty. It's steeped in Confucian morality, meaning Liu Bei is a mary-sue who can do no wrong because of his filial piousness. It's a mixture of history and legend, and Zhuge Liang can likewise do no wrong because he's the infallible genius Kongming!!! and so I found him nauseating. I went in hoping for something exactly the same as LoTGH in terms of its grand yet humanistic presentation -- and so felt disappointed.

I accepted I wasn't going to derive the same pleasure from reading RotTK as watching LotGH, and started to appreciate it more for anthropological reasons when I began delving into the Analects and general research about ancient Chinese culture alongside my reading.

With that said, I also think the parts focusing on Cao Cao will be satisfying if you're looking something approximate to LotGH. Once again, you might have enjoyed LotGH for other reasons so YMMV.

bump

Thanks for the laugh mate.

Donald J. Trump's books likely have the keys to how we can make anime real.

>scam gulilable americans
i dont see it pal

Fight against China so Japan can thrive.

Indian literature has this sort of power level bullshit too, but at least they temper it with some blue child occasionally showing up to drop some truth bombs about space and time and how we're all living in a dream and have done this a thousand times to mindfuck everyone.
in effect the overpowered madness just becomes a vehicle for Gods and heroes to explore philosophical ideas beyond human capabilities.

Well said!

Palinurus of Mexico (Miyazaki on LSD).

Some of Jodorowsky's works, like Albina and the Dog-Men.

Popol Vuh

Neo Tokio 2018.

The second impact is near.

Kek.
Barron get in the robot!!!!

does that have an english or french translation?