Rupee Car

How do I talk critically about this without seeming like an e/lit-ist snob when people I know inevitably sing praises of it?

Tell them that you identify as a woman.

Well if youre familiar the craft of poetry at all then this shouldnt be a question. Since you are a drone-bee of the Veeky Forums hivemind then you will be unable to do so.

I honestly don't like poetry. I've read one poem lately that I've liked, out of Glimmer Train, but I don't remember the title or the author.

And there you have it. If you have no dog in the fight and in fact hate the fight itself why not help yourself to a coke and a smile and shut the hell up. This silence could even serve as a launch point for you to form your own opinions and not be a voice copy in the echo chamber.

But I know Kaur is bad, and not because /lit thinks so. And I have a feeling some people I know will feel it is worthy because of female perspective, etc., blind, however, to the complete lack of form or artistry for lack of form. Just high school mind vomiting that somehow got to be printed and sold in retail bookstores.

>people on this board will unironically defend this

mention that they aren't even poems, just aphoristic sentences with arbitrary line breaks

- it has no poetic elements. all cultures have some sort of poetic form so ''fukkin wytte mails'' isn't even a rebuttal it's just ignorant of poetry
- it is absolutely shallow

Look friend, she did a great job marketing herself and capitalizing on internet fame. The things she creates are literally facebook memes that are hand drawn. When you consider how popular banal facebook platitudes are, this should come as no surprise. If
>feel it is worthy because of female perspective
is what really bothers you, you should probably pick a different battleground.

Also, yes it is garbage when read as poetry. When read as I described above then it hardly flits in the radar. But lets be honest, this isnt about defending the name of poetry for you, is it?

I'm not bothered by the female perspective thing, I'm not a frogposter. I'm bothered by its appeal overshadowing any other quality of it.

>this isnt about defending the name of poetry for you, is it?
It really is, though. The name of decent literature, more accurately. Good job on her and her agents for marketing the fuck out of her.

Somebody should collect a book of their /r9k shitpostings and get somebody to promote it. They could be the robot Rupi Kaur.

>not a frog poster
>the female perspective being marketable bothers me

My guy, that this person succeeds or doesn't does not affect good literature or writers. She is a flash in the pan. Why not find good literature to promote instead of getting worked up over nothing

user, you are clearly unfamiliar with this board. your pic could be blake's songs of innocence and Veeky Forums would shit all over it in a critique thread.

But the popularization of plebe literature only succeeds in stagnating the art as a whole and compromising the intelligence of society. Consumers of this type of writing need to be rounded up and processed, can't you see that?

>songs of innocencence
>songs

It does nothing of the sort. People might feel like they can access poetry after her when they wouldn't've otherwise. Some people might read her and the elizabeth bishop and the wallace stevens etc.

Further, she's not clogging the mill of small poetry presses where the art progresses. This isn't an academic pressing. There is still innovation and good poetry being written, youre just not looking at it.

Think of it this way: does Top 40 pop garbage stultify the art of music? No. There are people out there creating, innovating, etc. Dont compare her pop twaddle to "real literature", whatever that is, and the issue dissolves.

As to, lowering peoples IQ, why are you assuming that this is the only thing theyll ever read?

fuck, user, we need more of you around.

>>songs of innocencence
>>songs
so you can't quote or spell, and thought songs was one poem. hm
>IQ
>Top 40
yeah that'd do it

>literally nobody

>calls herself a poet
>cant even rhyme
>its all rethoric
>its all feminist
Rupi Kaur in a nutshell.

>it's not like poetry
>it's more like therapy
My mom right now

Females are not as bad as you think, guys.

Turning insecurity into hate is not a good way to deal with it.

My mother is a woman.

Not an argument

what is he drinking?

can I cash this

It's pretty hard to argue against the absence of form when there was no attempt to include form in the first place. I don't criticise music for making people dance if the music I am most familiar with requires the listener to sit and intellectualise.

Depth and form do not make poetry.

Besides I doubt you are familiar with non-Western poetry.

One shit poet doesn't disqualify all of poetry from being an art. She doesn't even signify a trend.

Poetry is formal you idiot. It's not some metaphysical concept.

You assume that artists aren't constantly criticising other artist's work? Stop thinking all contemporary art is a homogeneous whole. Kaur is an anomaly; she got famous through the reaction from the internet, not her literary merit. She isn't published for her merit but because people like her and she generates money. This example does not disqualify all other poetry from ever being made. She's not the gold standard.

Well, pedant, her poetry has form.

>kauraesque
Lel

Arbitrary line-breaks aren't form.

Well her poetry isn't metaphysical.

I didn't say it was you fucking idiot.

at first i thought, oh yeah, thats a nice observation
and then i realised, all this says is that women are retarded and can't discern the difference between tough love and abuse

You said it has no poetic elements i.e. form.

Which it doesn't. Thereby she is not a poet, because it poetry isn't metaphysical, it's formal.

But her poetry does have form because it's not metaphysical.

Is it video art? Is it sculpture? Painting? Land art? Installation? Photography?

No it's fucking poetry.

So is the craft of literature and poetry gone? Is all that matters a kind word and a message that makes people feel good?

No.

It's '''poetry'''. It's an MS paint image with a few lines of text, without form.
This one has some form but it is a rare exception it seems.

>intelligence of society
As long as this is your cross to bear, you'll sound like a pretentious faggot.

>try to order milk and honey from amazon
>order canceled
>try different vendors from amazon marketplace
>all cancel the order

lul, i can't believe i actually fell for this troll, well played frends

I don't see what Cthulu rising above a hill has to do with the poem.

Without traditional use of form, which doesn't disqualify it from being poetry i.e. free form.

>inb4 but original free form carefully broke the rules of traditional poetry, you need to know the rules in order to break them effectively

Yeah, 100 years ago.

"woman learns to hate to the extent to which her charms--decrease

it's about the perpetuation of cycles of abuse.

>your pic could be blake's songs of innocence and Veeky Forums would shit all over it

I doubt that. There are more Blake readers here than you think.

Blake is good, kaur isn't.

Just point out that she has no discernible talent.

it's meant to illustrate something about Veeky Forums, not blake, but both your posts are a good case for not understanding the subtleties of blake either tbqh.

? none of us made any statements on Blake

>none of us made statements on Blake
>Blake is good
uwot

That's a value statement, not a statement on the poetry itself.

except what you posted was actually good poetry, and didn't imply that only women face this problem

she didn't imply that only women face that problem, she was just expressing a common female abuse transmission.

It really isn't a bad idea even if the expression is low (for lack of a better word) taste.

>a value statement is not a statement
not him, but what are you trying to say?

>poet is good
does not actually say anything about the poet or poetry.

it would appear to be a statement to my eyes, user. are you the guy claiming nobody made a statement or the other guy?

Underrated

Plebs gonna pleb OP. No point trying to talk them out of it.

Maybe try to associate with people who don't go for the sentimental blather.

>Maybe try to associate with people who don't go for the sentimental blather.
t. permavirgin