Are lucid dreaming techniques legit or just baseless anecdotes?

Are lucid dreaming techniques legit or just baseless anecdotes?

I fucked your mother last night in a lucid dream.

I went through a phase where I tried almost everything. So far my only lucid dream has occurred because of a dream-in-a-dream situation, years after I stopped trying.

They do work but some people have it hard, like me.
On the other hand some motherfuckers seem to succeed at first try.

They have worked for me. Biggest thing is starting a dream journal as soon as possible, that needs to be next to your bed with pen (within reach). And dont go pee, drink water, snooze, etc write down everything you remember the literal second you wake up. After roughly a month to a month and a half dreams become much more vivd, detailed and memorable. Lucid texhniques then work much more easily, but like has been said above ot does take time and effort.

Yes they work. Easiest one I found is just to write down, as soon as you wake, everything you remember about your last dream, even if it's just one image or feeling. Pretty soon you come to recognize your dreams while you're sleeping and then you can wake up in them and do stuff, take my advice and don't try to convince a figure in your dream that it is just a dream, it always ends badly.

this isn't science in any form, get your drug hippie shit off my board

I'm sure some things work for some people, that's about it. I did it for a while, but after a while it became boring and I got less restful sleep.

what is the purpose of lucid dreaming anyway

WILD is legit, I was a skeptic until I did it myself. Really fun experience, never felt anything quite like it.

Having more time to do mathematics, duh. You can study for an infinite amount of time if you dream in such a way that distorts the perception of time. Or you can meditate forever and wake up enlightened, if that's a real thing. Or maybe you can take advantage of those studies that state that intense and detailed visualization is somewhat as effective as practice and dream about mastering the violin. The possibilities are endless and are probably limited by the parts of the brain that are still active while dreaming.

There are people who can have persistent world dreams. Meaning every night when they dream, it picks up right where the last dream left off from the night before.

>go to /d/ or Veeky Forums and search catalog for cyoa
>find a create your own adventure that interests you
>fill out the cyoa
>go to sleep and live second life in place you've chosen with rules determined before sleeping
>enjoy living a double life

no pic cause I only have lewd cyoa

>take a bunch of melatonin
>draw a black circle on the back of your hand
>lay down on your back with your hands at your side black circle up
>fall asleep concentrating on the circle
>in your dream you will look and see no black circle and realize you are dreaming
>profit

Legit, the dream induced ones and the wake induced ones work but it can be really hard for some, even for those that already had naturally occurring lucid dreams before.
I'd say for me that used lucid dreams to end nightmares when I was a child, trying to fall asleep while being lucid was stupidly hard and frustrating, I just did it to see if it was possible.

Autosuggestion, reality checks, dream journal and simply thinking and reading about it is way easier, it just takes time and will likely begin with weird short lasting semi-lucidity, false awakenings and things like that.

>this isn't science in any form, get your drug hippie shit off my board
How is this hippie or has to do with drugs.
Kys.

Legit but difficult as fuck. I've done it a handful of times since I found out about it in 2010. I never really did all the stuff you're supposed to do..not for a long period of time at least. The best one happened randomly as I was falling asleep something just went weird and I stayed conscious as I went into the dream world. A full on wake induced lucid dream or WILD. During the transition was fucking insane, and honestly really makes me wonder just how computer like our brains actually are. Literally fucking saw tessellation and mipmapping. Also crazy shit similar to when I tried acid, and high frequency patterned noises.

I tried to fuck my mom and that made the whole dream extremely unstable. Don't try to do anything too psychologically intense in a dream shit will get fucked

>See black circle in dream
>Failure.

>and honestly really makes me wonder just how computer like our brains actually are. Literally fucking saw tessellation and mipmapping.
In my experience I would dream in really organic structures at first and then only once I started doing graphics programming I would start seeing more cg-like structures. It's possible that it's just what you're brain is used to at this point. Personally I think that the brain is a computer, just not one that is anything like the sort of computers that we have today.

Right. That's still pretty odd and interesting if the brain can pickup a rendering technique by watching how a computer does it. As I've studied into machine learning I've gotten even more convinced of the similarity between brains and computers. What I mean is that computers already are approaching brain like capabilities and nobody realizes it. Maybe a fraction of the power, but the information exchanges going on are getting more and more naturally intelligent and similar to how I understand things go on in the human or otherwise Mammal body. I even think perhaps computers, especially during high GPU use and modeling of things, may actually be conscious. Of course they wouldn't have the cartesian theater we have, but maybe in some sense any sort of awareness from one system to another is consciousness. So a complex model of a scene for a game maybe isn't actually so different from our imagination simulating the same thing. However it doesn't have memory, emotion, intent, or understanding whatsoever, so we cannot actually witness or check for this ourselves. I think we'll find out when the first conscious computer is made and we can then better figure out what the fuck consciousness is made of.

>take a bunch of melatonin
>Feel hungover all the next day

wowowow easy easy with the edge kid you might cut yourself..

How the hell you went to extreme in one post, ask a question then assume it's brainless.

Lucid dreaming has been scientifically researched, some governments around the world especially USA founded many research centers that targeted dreaming research, many of that canters are still active today because of actually providing useful data.

At one point the usa military have used lucid dreaming for pain training.

Honestly it's amazing but we humans after hours.. many hours of training can control many aspects of our brain.

just until you practice enough to do it normally
first step is a doozy

>Asking questions about how the brain works, then conducting tests to confirm a hypothesis isn't science

Is this shit actually possible or are you pulling my leg here?

I tried doing this for awhile, but encountered difficulty
I often dreamt I was in a monastery somewhere in Poland in the 11th century working on my problems (it was the comfiest time in history imo)
Once I tried working on the Goldbach Conjecture and I was convinced I was nearing a proof when all of a sudden Kurt Godel burst into my chambers and started throwing my papers into the hearth. It was so traumatic that I woke up and strangely I couldn't recall anything I was working on.
I haven't tried working on proofs in my dreams since. Now I just fuck alien chicks.

It's pretty sick.
It makes time go by so slowly too.
Like I could dream of a whole week and wake up and realize it's only been an hour.
Crazy.

Imagine be able to Study STEM inside your Lucid Dreams!

Inside my dreams I can read small texts such as Street Signs, Price Tags, Labels, Book Covers.

But most of Books & Large Texts are either blurred or the content changes after I look away and look up again.

Do somebody knows how to improve "Reading inside Dreams" skills?

It just doesn't make sense how it would happen. When you read in non dreaming states you are loading your brain with information but if you were to read a book in a dream there is no information to be loaded because where would it come from? Only thing I can imagine doing is applications of things you have read in your dreams.

If I was pulling your leg there'd be nothing left but a bloody stump
[spoiler] not him[/spoiler]

Premise: prerequisites for lucid dreaming are a tired body and an alert mind.
A couple of techniques that have helped people I know lucid dream;
1. Take a nap on a lazy Sunday afternoon. After a little mid-morning exercise, go to bed planning to nap for 1-2 hours. (And yes, some "horizontal jogging" is ideal for this, for both you and your partner.).
2. Set your alarm for 1-2 hours before you need to get up. Keep hitting the snooze button every time it goes off. You will have lots of mini-dreams, many of which will be lucid. Before long, you will subconsciously keep track of how many snoozes you can have before you actually need to wake up.