Thoughts on Jordan Peterson?

How trustworthy is this guy/psychological theories in general?

I'm studying computer science at a great (top ten) uni in burgerland but got depressed by it all and have taken some time off to prepare an art/design portfolio for art school. It's a reputable one (think RISD, if any of you are aware of it), but I know it won't necessarily save me.

Pic related is telling me to suck it up and pursue being a tech yuppie in the bay. I have some friends there saying I wouldn't even need a degree to make ridiculous bank, but if I ever did want to kill myself it was debugging projects I could not care less for.

Other urls found in this thread:

bls.gov/ooh/arts-and-design/craft-and-fine-artists.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Why does he think you should be a yuppie?

supposedly his self-authoring program is really helpful. i want to take it but havent decided to yet.

i think he's based. his talk titled tragedy vs evil is my favorite

P E T E R S O N
E
T
E
R
S
O
N

He looks and speaks like (((you know who))) but I can't find proof

Wtf? Where did Peterson say any of that shit?

He said in some video on creativity that if you want to do art or music, you're better off pursuing a stable career that can support yourself first. (So you don't die hungry, etc.) I don't care much for tech/whatever big thing Google or Amazon is doing next, but the money is supposedly just that easy.

Thing is I'm fairly sure there are plenty of positions in the entertainment and tech industries who want people who can technically illustrate and design. That is, no "paint your feelings" or "express your humanistic vision" crap. But nothing like programming or doing crypto markets or whatever of course.

javascript:quote('9004223');
He sounds like an idiot. Hardly anyone dies of starvation in the West, and even freelance artists can make adequate livings if they're disciplined. He seems to projecting his own status needs onto others and/or justifying his own life choices. If you have talent, go for it. You'll be fine.

bls.gov/ooh/arts-and-design/craft-and-fine-artists.htm
Bullshit.

Damn, that's higher than I thought. What was your point again?

Job outlook is piss poor. That's also a median pay, not a starting pay. If OP wants to become an animator that's not bad. Stick with what you got OP.

Really I was just curious if anyone else had experienced dissatisfaction with their STEM career and put up with it all for the money, and if anyone thinks it's better to do what you want instead. Should've reworded it.

Also interested in Veeky Forums's thoughts on using shit like personality or intelligence metrics to determine what you should do (beyond the obvious, of course - nobody with an 85 IQ is gonna be a lawyer). Like Psycho-Pass or something.

I had no idea the arts paid so well. Maybe I should have stuck with them. Getting paid 240% the global average and (and in the world-historical 99th percentile) sure ain't bad while getting to do what you enjoy every day. Of course, I'm assuming OP is of strong enough character to base his threshold for personal success on his own criteria rather than the abritrary criteria of his particular social niche, but that might be a big ask.

IQ is important but for most jobs accounts for less than 16% of the variance im success. Anne Roe tested the most eminent scientists in the 50s and the median IQ was about 152 (with a range of 128 to 178). Very few jobs require an IQ above 125, so as long as you're in that range or higher you should be fine.

Last post was meant for

Fucking phones.

OP here, what's your story?

>debugging
>not the most fun part of programming

Got an undergraduate degree in physics from a Top 10. Decided to become a psychologist instead because it's closer to my talent profile. It's good, albeit emotionally taxing work. I minored in fine art as well, but didn't have the talent (in my opinion) to make a living out of it.

His material is a waste of time because civilization is going to get swallowed by a giant nigger.

>Compares wage to global and historic average
>Thinks being financially prosperous is merely a means of attaining social status

Are people really this fucking dense? I honestly can't remember reading something this stupid.

>ur dumb

Not an argument.

artist here
if you're thinking of being a serious artist, forget it, it's not something you can just pick up in your twenties as a career change. You're either an artist or you're not. You'd know.
If you're just interested in design or "applied arts" or whatever, go for it. At least you'll make a living. Possibly.

>Getting paid 240% the global average
this is beyond stupid
what does a global average mean?
nothing to an individual.
you can make 2500% the global average income and still not be able to live in Vancouver or Hong Kong or Zurich.

So don't live in those places. You're not owed shit.

a tech yuppie is the best kind of yuppie

Well what kind of art do you do? I know for a fact that's simply not true, because many, if not a plurality, of esteemed representational artists today working in entertainment - ArtGerm, Dave Rapoza/Crimson Daggers, Ruan Jia, Krenz, Feng Zhu/basically all students at FZD, Craig Mullins, Min Yum, the middle-upper age range at the California schools including Watts and ACCD, etc. - all started art seriously at earliest in their very late teens and on average in their mid-20s. Your 20s are literally when you decide on a career, the beginnings at least.

Representational art isn't some intuitive magic you're born with, and certainly nowhere near the intuition of music. I've known many peers at my university who were accepted in part for being excellent musicians, and quite a few of them have savant-like skills like developing an impromptu harmonic counterpoint for any random melody you play them. Nobody ever learned linear perspective or human anatomy after being bumped on the head. In many of the aforementioned artists' interviews they'll tell you time and time again that academic art is NOT something any kid will just "pick up," nor do they even recommend it simply because of the amount of deliberate study and practice it takes. It's nothing like "sketching day and night with the passionate, fiery spirit of le misunderstood artist with demons," something you simply "know" (which I find highly suspect), as your post implies.