Will AI take over the tech industry anytime soon...

Will AI take over the tech industry anytime soon? I need to know whether to study up for CS or to hedge my bets as an English major.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Pxt8hJgNlRU&feature=youtu.be
catalog.ucf.edu/content/documents/programs/Mathematics_BS.pdf
catalog.ucf.edu/content/documents/programs/Computer_Science_Minor.pdf
futurism.com/a-facebook-ai-unexpectedly-created-its-own-unique-language/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

AI can, in principle, do everything except work like philosophy. Maybe consider literature instead of English.

The takeover is already taking form.

youtube.com/watch?v=Pxt8hJgNlRU&feature=youtu.be

Veeky Forums hates CS. But CS is obviously much better than English.

Despite other Veeky Forumsentists would say I recommend major in CS.

If wanna built the next AI instead of being replaced by an AI, I strongly also suggest a minor (or even double major) in either Math, Linguistics, Neurology, some Foreign Language or Computer Hardware Engineering.

Is there a scientific reason why Asians are the most attractive race?

catalog.ucf.edu/content/documents/programs/Mathematics_BS.pdf

currently on computational track

how fucked am i?

>UCF
U Can't Fail

But can I get a job with that + catalog.ucf.edu/content/documents/programs/Computer_Science_Minor.pdf

I just like math and have some friends there to help me. So far doing well, haven't started CS shit tho.

h

>will AI take over the tech industry soon

The tech industry is building AI. CS is creating the AI. Once CS can be "automated" you have achieved god-like singularity that can theoretically think and create whatever it wants because it is building its own compounding intelligence and there will no longer be jobs or humans.

So yes, CS is pretty safe right now.

The tech industry is building AI. Our Job will be building the AI instead of be replaced by one.

CS can't be fully automated. Unless in a SciFi dystopias like Terminator or Matrix where Machines don't need Humans anymore & enslave us.

Not really. Humans are very predictable and you could easily build something up that will consider anything that humans will ever be able to consider and do it efficiently and thoroughly. Most "philosophy" is navigating within established canon anyway, which would be reason easy for it.

That would be game playing, not philosophy.

I don't care your stupid question

Who is the semen demon in the picture?

Not , but you can totally teach yourself programming if you wanted to - it looks like your curriculum would cover it a bit, along with some core CS stuff.

Remember: your degree doesn't guarantee you a job.

seconded

How long would it take someone in roughly the 99th percentile of cognitive ability to learn programming if they've never done it before but have an obsessive work ethic and are willing to work 10 hours a day at it?

I'll assume you're asking for a friend since you browse a website about Chinese mangoo girls.

I dunno does cosmetic surgery count as a scientific reason?

Yes, AI till take over the tech industry very soon

...that's why you NEED a fucking CS degree you retard

Come on

CS is literally the best bachelor's degree to get rich now. I'm currently making $130k total compensation, this will go up to $150k when I get my raise and presumably an increase in my bonuses in about 6 months, and I'm only one year out of college

If you're good CS is by far the best degree.

IF YOU HAVE AN IQ ABOVE 120 IGNORE ALL ANTI-CS SHILLING EVERYWHERE ON Veeky Forums

>mfw the facebook AI unexpectedly created it's own language
IT BEGINS

What do you work in? Is it soulless and crushing? If not then what would you suggest for getting a non code-monkey job? I'm asking as a cs undergrad that's thinking about getting a masters in ee instead of cs because people say cs jobs are unfulfilling.

It's literally fun, my job is fun for me

I sit in my own office alone (this is unusual, I'm privileged in this respect) but have ~4h of meetings per week to discuss new design decisions and recent events on our servers with the team

I work in (REDACTED) on low level C++ code to optimize our servers. It's not for everyone. But if you're even remotely autistic then literally you HAVE to get a CS degree.

"Code monkey" is a meme for "people not good at CS so they just do shitty webdev instead"

You want server side engineering jobs, not front-end framework slinging jobs, to make money

My personal choices:
-CS degree but also take Computer Engineering electives for extra hardware stuff like any courses related to drivers and assembly/microcontroller programming. And lots of algo/DS studying on the side to prepare for interviews.

You might hate CS I can't speak for you, but i personally love it. There is so much variety. But then again I'm one of those weird guys who loves bit crunching and writing drivers in C so ignore me if you're not like that

forgot sauce if anyone cared
futurism.com/a-facebook-ai-unexpectedly-created-its-own-unique-language/

Also more elaboration related to this thread in particular

I work in our ML model execution frameworks team (I am still at the noob level beginner in my team though so I don't quite touch that yet, but I touch the supporting code) so yes my team literally is AI and that's why OP SHOULD get a CS degree - because AI is making CS cooler and cooler and higher and higher paying if you're actually good at it

Also if you like EE, then there is TONS of money for you if you do what I said and study CS + a side portion of Computer Engineering and driver related stuff, and then also learn Verilog and VHDL and stuff for programming FPGAs and ASICs because tons of companies are moving towards these nowadays and you can get hired in a snap if you have both CS and this EE knowledge, so yeah I actually highly suggest a master's in EE but then you end up working in CS instead still

I majored in math and philosophy at a school oriented toward logical analysis and CS was still too autistic for me.

Honestly the only thing that seemed interesting to me from a job perspective was embedded. I am fairly autistic in the cs meme sense since the only langs I really use are c, asm, c++, lisp, and ocaml. One thing I'm worried about is that I'll work on some massive code base forever and never get the same sense of satisfaction as a well polished small project. Have you had problems with that sort of thing?

>c, asm, c++, lisp, and ocaml.
Perfect. If you don't end up working in CS it's a massive waste of potential for you

>One thing I'm worried about is that I'll work on some massive code base forever and never get the same sense of satisfaction as a well polished small project
This isn't really an issue if you work at prestigious high quality companies. Because large programs are basically lots of little programs hooked up together. My company's codebase is absolutely massive, but the parts I work on are self contained and I basically "own" that section of code now in that I am the only one who works on it anymore. So I can polish up as I please and it's like working on my own small program. So it's fun

That sounds pretty good to be honest. I could finish up my cs bachelors and take some engineering prereqs on the side. Then I could try to get a more hardware oriented ms. I'm pretty new to fpga stuff but I've been learning the basics ever since I heard that the ice40 was reverse-engineered. Thanks for the help with this, I'm starting to get a firmer grip on how to go about school now.

well wtf did it look like

Get your CS degree so you can become rich writing the "fluttering tongue BJ" mod to the universal standardized sex-bot V3.

Salsa

>to hedge my bets as an English major
This is where you plan on putting all of your chips?
Hope you are a gud English major