What the fuck? Why is this allowed?

What the fuck? Why is this allowed?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OK_Computer#Retrospective_acclaim
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Potter_and_the_Philosopher's_Stone#Development.2C_publication_and_reception
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>using or thinking goodreads is relevant

Why does it upset you so?

man Order of the Phoenix that high?

its like the worst one in the whole series

women

Womyn! Such annoying cunts.

I have to admit, most of the books I buy these days are for kids/young readers. Surely, that is not my list, however I'm so desperate to encourage the younger generation to read, that I'd be happy even if it was Twilight.

This.

Why do you care? Nobody is using that list to force anything on you.

You'd think that an online community centred around literature would be populated by people with at least a modicum of taste and knowledge regarding the subject. It doesn't make you the least bit upset that people claiming to have a genuine interest in literature rank fucking Twilight as the 5th greatest book ever written?

Even if the top 100 only contained the most ubiquitous, entry-level classics that anyone you stop on the street could name for you (stuff like Of Mice & Men, Moby-Dick, Great Expectations etc.) it would still be a far, far better list than this mess of YA shit and general cancer.

>You'd think that an online community centred around literature would be populated by people with at least a modicum of taste and knowledge regarding the subject.
No I wouldn't because I'm not an idiot.

Substitute "think" for "hope", then.

You do all realize that those are all basically the pop songs of books, right? Of course they're the top ten. You're all fucking morons.

It is mostly populated by books with massive internet fan bases. You don't get that with most books.

>You'd think that an online community centred around literature would be populated by people with at least a modicum of taste and knowledge

Doesn't really bother me tbqhwy. Same way it doesn't bother me that 4chin has a my little pony board. It's pretty retarded by it's not gunna stop me coming here and using it for my own needs. Just don't look up these lists, same way I'm not going to go look at the current top 40 music charts.

pop songs are better than pleblit

pop songs are the definition of pleb shit.
Every jackass thinks his medium of choice is being "infected with mainstream garbage". Of course it is! It always has been. You think books are somehow exempt? I repeat: you're all morons.

>anything popular is bad

>You think books are somehow exempt?
if anything I argued the opposite...

what's it like being a newfag?

>he doesn't remember himself a week ago

>You'd think that an online community centred around literature would be populated by people with at least a modicum of taste and knowledge regarding the subject.
What kind of fucking idiot would think that? 99% of people are abject idiots, and both the internet and democracy lend themselves to said idiocy.

Yeah normies are taking every art-relate sites. Pic related.

rym is pretty decent though. obv top 10 of every list will be popular meme albums but its still a good site for music discovery tbqh

a-are y-you showing this as proof they are or aren't?

because that pic seems pretty fine to me, please don't bully

okay kid

This is a much better list than the one in the OP. For a start, most of those albums are actually good

>Twilight
I thought even plebs, at least those older than 15, knew this was shit.

>most of those albums are actually good

I don't agree with that album being number one, but at least it is a good album.

It would is like having The Great Gatsby as no.1 on the other list. Predictable and not really worthy of it's place but not rage inducing.

Are you implying that Moby-Dick doesn't legitimately belong in the top 5 novels of all time, you pseud cunt?

It is fine but it's also pretty normie. Honestly how could you expect anything else from an aggregation of many people's tastes, unless the site is centered around a specific community? It doesn't mean most people there have Radiohead and Pink Floyd as their favorites bands, it just means they're the least controversially good bands that most people have listened to.

Yeah this is acceptable. In fact Miles Davis, The Velvet Underground, and Radiohead are pretty awesome, and the rest are at least decent. Like this user said , entry-level classics are better than shit-tier popular trash.

those album are the cultural impact of Harry Potter and Hunger Games, i mean, c'on guys..

>some of the most influential albums of all times are equivalent to pop trash
Shouldn't you be on /mu/ masturbating to Grimes?

I had no idea Veeky Forums was this lacking in self awareness, though given how populated with pseuds this board is I guess self awareness would be hazardous to have.

>the differences between different forms of popular music are real and not window dressing

>all music is the same

>influential albums of all time
If that's your only metric for if something is good then a lot of the books on the goodreads list should be getting high praise from you. I mean what kind of snobby cunt dismisses widely popular and influential titles while pretending obscure artsy shit is at all relevant to the development of the medium?

No, most of those innovated and moved the medium forward.

t. pseud

>implying I said obscure artsy stuff is irrelevant
>being a contrarian edgelord

You don't even know what edgelord means, do you, you cockslap?

>popular music is all music
kys

>how dare you to compare popular music with popular literature!! -_-' xDD
Yeah, what ever dude.
And are you implying that HP its not influential

>order of the Phoenix
>not Chamber of Secrets
Fucking mudbloods

>muh obscurefaggotry is the only tru music
This board is 18+.

>implying any non-dadrock album on the list is as popular as Harry Potter
>implying HP had any tangible influence on the world of literature

>one of the most popular sites on the internet with a huge demographic of teenage girls rates pop ya fiction highly

Literally makes me shake with rage

>stuff like Of Mice & Men
White male author
>Moby-Dick
White male author
>Great Expectations
White male author

At least goodreads has some diversity in their taste.

How do you live with the fact that your father was a white male?

Moby-Dick is my favourite novel but a list consisting solely of books on its level of recognisability and ubiquity in popular culture would be severely lacking in a lot of books highly respected and well-known in scholarly circles but largely ignored by the plebeian masses. For example, ask any random 5 people on the street if they know what Gravity's Rainbow or The Trial is and I'd be surprised if any of them said yes. Ask the same question about Moby-Dick and I'd be equally surprised to receive the opposite response.

>stuff like Of Mice & Men
White male author
>Moby-Dick
White whale author
>Great Expectations
White male author

This upsets my vagina

Stop it, dude. It just get worse
>By February 1998, OK Computer had sold at least half a million copies in the UK and 2 million worldwide.[75] At least 1.4 million copies have since been sold in the US,[128] 3 million across Europe[129] and 4.5 million worldwide

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OK_Computer#Retrospective_acclaim
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Potter_and_the_Philosopher's_Stone#Development.2C_publication_and_reception

Seriously. It's the book in which Harry went all emo. Ugh. Tri-Wizard Tournament is the best in the series.

Also, ranking Animal Farm higher than 1984? lolno

Recognizability and ubiquity do not in any way diminish the intrinsic value of the work, much like obscurity doesn't increase it. Besides those metrics are not geographically uniform - you could reverse your example for Germany and it would still be true.

>size of initial release is representative of later popularity
Okay.

By denying my masculinity and being a sissy cuckold.

Are you deliberately misunderstanding me

>Hunger Games
White female author
>Order of the Phoenix
White female author
>To Kill a Mockingbird
White female author
>Pride and Prejudice
White female Author
>Twilight
White female author

>diversity

>>To Kill a Mockingbird
>White female author
wait what

Yeah her self-insert character is the little girl narrator

You're literally saying it's a shame recognizability plays a big role in a list of popular books.

I thought my whole life that Harper Lee was asian male in his 40's.

If you read the harpers weekly bestsellers from 100-150 years ago, its the same useless shit.

Women are diverse.

>mfw I just realized I thought the lawyer was the author my entire life

Fuck off you Devil cunt. ITCOTCK and Loveless are GOAT.

Daz nut tu bad tho homee

Quote me where I said or implied that.

Newsflash: Books are a dying medium. Most of the people who still read in this day and age are into shallow escapist fantasy and science fiction stories. Of course shallow fantasy or science fiction stories will end up at the top of an aggregate user rating based book review site. Harry Potter is beating all of the classics combined in terms of sheer popularity.

what's with SJWs and YA fiction? They seem to be obsessed with it exclusively

>Books are a dying medium
??? No?

>a list consisting solely of books on its level of recognisability in popular culture would be severely lacking

Yes

Don't worry my dude it irritates me too.

I see now that you are deliberately misunderstanding me. A good ruse!

>It doesn't make you the least bit upset that people claiming to have a genuine interest in literature rank fucking Twilight as the 5th greatest book ever written?

no one on goodreads has a "genuine interest in literature", what the fuck are you talking about user?

>say something stupid
>get a rebuttal
>"yer jes trollin"

>Most of the people who still read in this day and age are into shallow escapist fantasy and science fiction stories.

it's been this way for ~200 years. keep being edgy

source me

popular music can be obscurefaggotry too idiot

After shitting away their public education complaining and taking 4 years of gender studies classes, YA fiction is the only literature they can understand.

>no movie produced before 1980 is worth watching today
How can people hold such shitty opinons?

>How can people hold such shitty opinons?

You think that's bad. One time, I had a friend that said no movie before 2000 was worth watching. Gripped by a deep, existential terror, I ran out of the room, looking for her mother because, she surely would think that's absolutely retarded.

Can you imagine that sheer intellectual rage that courses through a person's body, when you're standing there, and a forty year old woman looks you dead in the eye and says "people don't want to watch old movies. Only special effects matter anymore."

>intellectual
>surprised by the fact not everyone is

that goes beyond intellectual or not intellectual (I generally try to live and let live)- but I couldn't get my friend to sit still for a fucking hour to watch indiana jones because it was "old and dumb"

I think that's actually what started us not being friends anymore. Not that she didn't like it, but the fact she wouldn't even show me the respect to try to watch it.

>intellectual
>indiana jones
i couldn't help myself

The Velvet Underground deserves to be there

is animal farm the only shred of decency in that entire list?

are you some kind of dummy?

>aggresively mediocre music
>daring lyrics for it's time
>it's not the 70s anymore
>lyrics aren't as shocking
>music is still shit though
Praising pink banana for anything but it's historical value is a sign of complete lack of taste and/or deafness.

I dated a girl that used that site all the time. No. It's full of people that want their pats on the back. And people that go there to have their opinions affirmed/made for them. I couldn't discuss anything with her before she went on there to find out what her opinion was of the book.

People who you think would be smart given their reading selection, but can't figure anything that requires thinking for yourself fill that site. A lot of them are women that get pulled by the nerdy female protagonist getting the guy. At least she was hot, but she was much dumber than she seemed.

that's kind of sad. you should know how you feel about something before looking up reviews.
im not the smartest, most in depth reader but i can at least form my own opinions.