What is the best English translation of Shakespear?

What is the best English translation of Shakespear?

The french one.

This one

Aster Geant's translation of Schelling's translation.

just read Marlow

But Shakespeare was already English

i like oxford editions. heavy annotations and academic intros.

I wonder what shakespeare would think if he was revived to see this

He would probably like it because he himself wrote for the lowest common denominator.

As a former English teacher, I know the Bard would have been thrilled that his plays have been reinterpreted. Those who think of Willy as a staunch believer that the English language should never be changed or tainted by slang and pop culture don't know him very well.

I too believe that Shakespeare would have had a hoot with these. It saddens me when young people (and surprisingly, I have had more young people poo-poo these versions than older people) don't understand the value of multiple interpretations of a work of art. Courtney Carbone nailed it—and you really have to understand it to do that!

The perfect stimulant for defenestration.

Are there any decent modern translations of Shakespeare? I'd like to just read the plays without having to put the work in.

>go to work
>big doorstopper on staffroom table
>oh I wonder what this is
>It's a collection of LOL funny texting typos

Shakespeare is written in modern English you indolent imbecile

Contemporary glosses of Shakespeare aren't worth reading. Get an edition with notes, look up words frequently, pay attention to the fucking language.

If you're interested in Shakespeare for anything other than pretentious dickwaggling, then go through it carefully and work out how the conceits operate. Otherwise, the plots really aren't that interesting.

I have no idea why the Complete Works ebook by RSC is not in the sticky.

It's the finely formatted and annotated version I've been seeking for a while now.

That ebook is probably among the best english ebooks that have ever existed, if not the best.

kek'd hard

The Lion King

What's the best complete edition of Shakespeare?

wait, link it pls?