College/University or Career Path Advice thread

Fuck /adv/ and fuck this stupid rule. What the fuck do a bunch of "tfw no gf" neets know about academia or industry?

How do I get into undergraduate research? Fuck the mods.

>Reminder: Veeky Forums is for discussing topics pertaining to science and mathematics, not for helping you with your homework or helping you figure out your career path.

>If you want advice regarding college/university or your career path, go to /adv/ - Advice.

Look at the professors for your major and check their pages and whatever. Some advertise undergrad research on there. You could also try to ask professors from your classes, but this is more random as they might not even want students desu.

Also, I dont know get why uni threads are discouraged, it is nice to see where fellow mongoloids attend and what they study. Also career path shit is science related fuck you mods.

goodbye

Undergrad was at big school in my state (Midwest, 20000+ students). Attending pic related for masters soon. Excited to start, it is my dream school!

Does Switzerland give free university or do they charge tuition?

Don't be afraid to ask though

A lot of the time they will be like "fuck yeah, free labor"

They charge tuition, but it is really cheap compared to US. I think it is about $1200 for two semesters, but I was awarded a scholarship with a tuition waiver and ~half living expenses per semester. They have a better one but I didn't get it.

how selective is admission? I'm coming from a similar situation

Not sure desu, probably 30%ish are admitted? I am EE with 3.9 gpa, 1.5 research in the area I applied for with nice letters, and 90th+ percentile gre scores so I think I had a good shot for admission. My school is probably top 300+ for EE so I worked hard to make up for that. The scholarship I was lucky on as I kind of bullshitted it but not completely.

Also, make sure your classes will be accepted. I don't know what you are studying, but for EE I went out of my way to take classes just for ETH prereqs from junior year onwards. Even with that I was a bit late so still have to take 28 credits of prereqs there. The curriculum there is a lot different for EE 1st and 2nd years than in the US.

>Fuck /adv/ and fuck this stupid rule. What the fuck do a bunch of "tfw no gf" neets know about academia or industry?

This is true.

Not that user but Im enrolling to EE too

>around 300 in rankings
>150 in EE
>30 in unies less than 50y old

I wonder if I did good desu. Its not the greatest but at least it cant be too bad

i've always felt this way too
Veeky Forums probably have the highest concentration of graduate students in STEM.
not sure about general career advice but i think research / grad school advice should be welcome. you never get any answers in /adv/.

For undergrad or grad school m8? If for undergrad then it doesnt matter really if you just put in the work and it is ABET accredited

Not so, some consider it a privilege to work for them and you have to be "worthy" somehow.

My advice to OP: forget academia, it's not what it's made out to be.

>university of washington
Are you chinese?

Someone edit the fucking sticky!!

Fuck no, I actually study.

engineering app is due tomorrow at 5pm Pacific senpai. you ready?

ball state?

Wait a year after high school before going of to college. Get a job, do ANYTHING else. You just got through school and I doubt you want more right away.
Trust me.

Find the professors who do reseach, ask them about interning during their office hours

We here at WSU will still welcome you after you come to your senses. :^)

I got into computer science research as a freshman at UW seattle. I didn't understand most of it since it was on algorithms and theory, but I learned a shit ton

Good for computer science and neurobio

Both really. In Finland we choose a undergrad and post grad in the same time I think? Albeit its not hard or uncommon to transfer or go abroad for grad

Looking to make myself useful.
mechE fresher and learning programming rn.

What can I do to improve my experience in first year? Most inrernships only look at 3rd years and so. Just trying to get a job as tutor teaching high school kids for now...

Bump

I'm finishing my BS in cellular biology, but I've been noticing that job opportunities are absolute shit, even if I were to continue and get a MS/PhD.

Would it be worth it to do a MS in another field? I was thinking about doing something with bioinformatics or some kind of engineering.

I know it's not all about the money but I also don't want to be hitting a ceiling of $80k a year after going through grad school for bio. I'm most interested in bleeding edge DNA/synthetic bio research but AFAIK there aren't many jobs for that