Picked this up today after several anons here recommend it...

picked this up today after several anons here recommend it. i've read the first two sections and i'm fucking stoked to try some of these recipes.

Other urls found in this thread:

leedugatkin.com/files/3514/0603/7672/The_Conquest_of_Bread.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

sick

i've read the first two parts, after skipping the author's life story. i've already learned a lot about the science underlying bread making.

tempted to make my own starter this weekend.

starter as in a mother? or a pate fermentee?

That bread looks burnt

I've started my starter two weeks ago, start with whole wheat flour, then moved to two feedings a day with all purpose flour.

It bubbles sure, its a little airy when stirring, its smelling sour, but it hasn't frothed and doubled yet. Saw a post where if your starter floats in a cup of water its good to use. It floated and tried to proof with it, dough didn't rise, percentages were weighed 30% starter to flour.

Some people recommend to move up to 3 feedings a day but I'm afraid of diluting the 'active' part of the yeast even more. I don't even know if overfeeding is even possible, it doesn't even seem like the yeast is consuming enough of the flour

Sadly you guys are the only people I can ask for help because I'm not going to join an actual bread forum. any ideas?

apparently the author has strong feelings about dark crusts. i'll probably not bake them this far. pic related, it's the fourth and most recent loaf i baked, before i got this book.

starter as in a sourdough starter/levain.

i wish i could help you, user, but i'm a super beginner. keep monitoring and contributing to the bread threads here, though, they're helpful.

Why does it have a white cross on it? Hot cross bread?

he probably cooked it with the lid on too long or not enough(30min)

lmao "he." I scored it shittily before putting it into the preheated dutch oven. It was my first time scoring dough and apparently I need a better tool for it.

I cooked it with the lid on for 30 min, took the lid off and took this pic, and then put it back in for 13 minutes.

not using a razor? you jackass

I know, I know. I'm getting a razor and a kitchen scale sometime this weekend.

Pdf link?

google it, or suck it up and actually buy it to pay the human who took the time to write it

leedugatkin.com/files/3514/0603/7672/The_Conquest_of_Bread.pdf

Welcome to fucking baby bread baking. When you start a culture, then we'll talk.

Maybe try monitoring the starter more closely, just to see what it's up to. See if your starter actually doubles after feeding, then falls to its original volume. Ideally you want to use it when its mid-way through that cycle, bubbly and risen, smelling sour and sweet like apple cider vinegar.

Lmao, that looks fucking terrible

Cheat. Add store bought yeast to your starter and just keep that alive with care and feeding.

My scores looked like this when I used a dull blade to score, then I bought a pack of razors.
My scores still look like this. It kind of sucks but everything needs to be perfect, your stroke, your angle, the dough needs to be proofed but not too proofed or not underproofed but just right. And if you fuck up the timing or technique your bread looks shitty in the end... I admire people with good proof timings and score technique.
good luck with your razors

Its the weekend so maybe I'll keep a closer eye on it.
I don't think I'm ready to cheat my starter, I mean its bubbling so something's alive in there right?