Joyce is the GOAT

You literally cannot name a better writer than James Joyce by any measure

Sammy B was better desu

OP is right

Reading dubliners at the moment. I'm really enjoying it, however I think it's quite overrated here on Veeky Forums. What is it that people like so much about this novel? I enjoy the characters, and how he fill such short stories with such emotion, but I find there's not enough conflict.

Comfy.

Yeah it is quite a comfy book.

Yeah, it's boring as fuck. Joyce is a beautiful writer on a sentence by sentence basis, but his books are a slog.

ave u read The dead m8?
His other stories pale in comparison

The Dead is what will haunt you forever from the Dubliners.

devil's advocate

shakespeare

I'm reading one more story before I get to the Dead. Now I'm looking forward to it. Thanks!

This desu. I have reread it every once in a while because it will all suddenly come back to me.

The Dead is some weak ass hum drum false-epiphanic bullshit.

>Dohmygod that other guy truly lived and IM the one who's dead. Like, emotionally though.

This is why Joyce had to rely on his prose inventiveness. He can't write a straight engaging story for shit.

>Being and Time is the end of continental philosophy
>Tractatus is the end of analytical philosophy

>Finnegans Wake is the end of literature

Get the fuck out of here nigger

That's not what it's about.

The first time I read the dead I just put the book down and cried for 10 minutes

>novel
You maybe have not read enough to be able to appreciate the collection of stories despite reading his most accessible work. The appeal is not a conflict-based literature but a language and thought radically different from any other writer. James Joyce is an if not the master of the English language in his poetic prose. His portraits (PoftAaaYM, lol) of the characters in these stories is so strikingly evocative that after reading them they walk around your mind in a city one doesn't need to have visited to see and experience amongst all the characters and in them.

Read the fucking dead and then form an opinion on the stories when you've finished them.

You must glaze over easily. I'll admit Portrait can have some wandering narratives or narratorial thought patterns, and obviously Finnegans Wake and Ulysses have their own particular difficulties--Dubliners is in this respect his masterpiece.

wow

Jk Rowling literally I bet James Joyce would agree

And even though Finnegans Wake doesn't mean anything or matter, there is still something about it which is still some epic monument, some intriguing accomplishment, some portal of art, that it still garners some respect, though now that I think about it, Jk Rowling would probably much prefer and give credit, if anything, to any and all of his earlier works, I started off trying to troll, and then I felt bad I might have missed information out, and I still didnt

Fggt

>novel
>conflict
Reconfigure you nigger or leave

You don't read Joyce you let your soul be consumed by his work he's the best writer to ever walk on this piece of shit planet we call earth

Easy.
>Undergraduates will disagree and reply with non-arguments

These

cuck?

There are many writers better than Joyce when looking at the history of literature.

>be Pushkin
>marry beautiful girl 12 years your junior
>write screeds of love poems about her
>hear rumours she's been getting too friendly with some French cunt
>confront her
>actually believe her when she says she rejected his advances
>wake up one morning to discover French cunt has disseminated a letter throughout Russian high society dubbing you Deputy Grand Master and Historiographer of the Order of Cuckolds
>challenge French cunt to a duel
>get BTFO
>write a letter on your death bed pardoning French cunt of any wrongdoing
>die

How am I supposed to take this man seriously?

Not an argument

What about reading his books and building an opinion of the content? Oh right, this is Veeky Forums, you have to act as a retarded or you are out of place.
Are we supossed to laugh?
How are we supossed to take you serious?
>You meme you btpoo hur hur
>inb4 cringe faggot

Yes, mirth was my objective. Apologies for causing upset.