>i.imgur.com/IJxTQBL.jpg

Previous Thread: Writing Critique:

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.mobilism.org/viewtopic.php?f=1293&t=1648451
forum.mobilism.org/viewtopic.php?f=1293&t=1798536
goodreads.com/book/show/28962996-six-wakes
goodreads.com/book/show/30199444-the-warren
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Can anyone here tell me if Sleeping Giants eventually becomes a full mecha anime? I don't want to read about fucking voltron

the character is a scientist at heart who has seen geometries and geographies which defy rational explanation and wants to apply Foglio's law to them (any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science)

An entity decided to invest in her quest by giving her a set of glasses with a pair of knobs at the end. turning them allows her to rotate and displace her vision in any dimension (including time and hyperspace). She believes there's a rational explanation for how it works but given that she has no way to take it apart without breaking it she uses it in her research

Later she finds out that it doesn't work with other people, which she brushes off as some kind of biometric device.

Evnetually she loses the glasses, much to her dismay. However, when she goes to turn the knob subconsciously it works anyway, revealing that the glasses were just a magic feather. it was always her power to begin with.

Unfortunately, this kind of implies that it's magic and/or something she can't explain

why do the glasses have to be a magic feather? can't they just be "strange glasses" and her power is producing the effect through the lens of the glasses? maybe they're just an amplifier of her power

Last time i was here you guys had some good web fiction recommendations. Finished Worm and luminosity. Throw me another bone.

Sounds like this is more wishful thinking on your part than what the author was probably trying to convey

What books do guys recommend for somebody who wants fantasy heavy with lore and world building?

the issue is that the power exists and unless I make her go into a diatribe about the trial-and-error nature of science it's going to just going to give the impression that I'm saying she's foolish for trying to give everything a scientific explanation

Malazan Book of the Fallen series. It's really, really big.

What are your favorite hidden gems? Or if not gems, lesser known stuff that deserves more appreciation?

Anything by Steven Gould, at least in my experience.

She is foolish, she's a female

>Female character written by a male author
You should kill yourself.

I don't understand this post. I'm not the author.

If you're implying that she's not foolish because a man is writing her then you've written what is essentially a man with boobs. A true to life female character would be an absolutely inconsistent mess in all aspects of life, regardless of her academic education.

Something More Than Night by Ian Tregillis.

Yes, it's a dresden clone, but it does an amazing job of depicting the kind of sensory background an elder god would experience, and in doing so created the cleanest blend of science fiction and fantasy I ever though possible.

Call me a pleb, but if you give me a good description of an an angel hearing the soothing hiss of the cosmic microwave background or the tasting the sour fizzle of virtual protons popping in and out of existence in the quantum foam, then you can be assured I will always give your work the benefit of the doubt

>there will never be a portal fantasy novel as comfy as The Longest Journey

my, you have such an educated opinion of the fairer sex

I know you're upset but that actually is the educated opinion on the fairer sex

Unless she's over 45, then a case can be made for her level headedness

I'll have you know /r9k/ has taught me everything there is to know of women.

And /sffg/ complains that they can't be authors.

>Unless she's over 45, then a case can be made for her level headedness
Nah, mate you ever talked to an old broad?

I'll have you know that /b/ taught me what it means to be human.

Yes that's why I meant to imply you have a CHANCE to make the case, it's not a certainty but I'd believe a rational 45 year old woman. In the context of science fiction at least.

I'm trying to read Malazan.

BUT NOTHING HAPPENS, WHY IS IT SO BORING? PEOPLE DO THINGS BUT NOTHING HAPPENS!

Keep reading until you get to the Felisin parts.

They're amazing.

if you're all going to be retarded menchildren (is that the proper pluralization) who whine about being friendzoned on 9gag, then for the sake of storytelling let's just pretend this story takes place in an AU where women evolved to be the smart ones

is portal fantasy the same thing as rabbit hole fantasy?

i.e. a person (usually a young girl but not always) travels through some kind of symbolic hole (tunnel, well, doorway, tornado) and ends up in a fantasy world

Just do what every other author does, write a good male character and give him a vagina. How did this not occur to you?

You can write 100,000 words about paint drying or the slow progression of drool dripping from one retard's chin without shitting up an entire general dedicated to the discussion of published fiction.

And yet you can't seem to leave this general un-shitted

But people seem to like Asuka better than Rei so I don't think you're right user.

If an author is retarded all their characters will be retarded.

Why have any female characters in a book when they can all be males?

But Rei is a doll not a human

She's also a shit

I was going to say this as well but didn't feel like going into it because it would just make author user angrier.

A dumb, boring author will only write dumb, boring characters. Quote it

Shouldn't this be Fantasy General? Science Fiction is a sub-genre of Fantasy.

It basically is fantasy general, sci-fi guys are just tagging along.

Are there ANY fantasy books where people talk like people? Dialogue always sounds so forced and artificial.

Do you have an example of forced dialogue?

In reality people don't talk in full sentences you know they talk in elongated overdrawn segments of speech which tend to blur into each other and don't really form grammatical sentences as is seen in literary works because that's just not how people talk

Lol everyone I know speaks in sentences. I asked for examples, can you give some or no?

Will he die?
He did nothing wrong, after all.

I would really like some recommendations for fantasy or science fiction with heavy themes of monasticism (technopriest is totally acceptable) and/or theology. I like well-written angelic/eschatological fantasy fiction as well as Name of the Rose type stuff (I know that doesn't fit the genre) and Anathem-style (though I didn't like the writing of that one).

Any ideas, anons? I'll suck yo dick.

Can I read this as a standalone, or is it good to know what's happened in Timelike Infinity first?

I've been trying to get an ebook copy of The Black Shriving and The Siege of Abythos by Phil Tucker for a while now. I normally just use #bookz, but for some reason the search ook function isn't working for me on there. Libgen doesn't seem to have it. Anyone have another place other than amazon to get it from?

Actually, I'm really just looking for alternatives to bookz and libgen for stuff that may not be on either one of them.

forum.mobilism.org/viewtopic.php?f=1293&t=1648451

forum.mobilism.org/viewtopic.php?f=1293&t=1798536

Thanks man, really appreciate it.

For anyone who liked windup girl, pic related is a quick read (only 200 pages) that might satisfy the itch that, that "hot pocket" left.

There is no gri that I see and there is no biopunk, but anyone wanting to read about Japan and their women replacement can read this.

What's a nice fantasy with a little girl character and great dialogue?

kys

Get out of here Bendis, just because you were thrown out of /co/ it doesn't mean you can come and shit up this board.

Cold Allies, Patricia Anthony. Aliens are trying to make first contact through an ex-NEET tank drone pilot fighting the Arab invasion of Europe.

Wolfe my dude.

Equal Rites
Tiffany Aching series

Has annyone ever read the elven by bernhard hennen?

A Canticle for Leibowitz is post-apocalyptic monks doing monk-stuff as society goes through the motions of returning to the way it was before it was destroyed.

I never had this problem. Maybe your book is defective?

>"You are my bright penny by the roadside. You are worth more than salt or the moon on a long night of walking. You are sweet wine in my mouth, a song in my throat, and laughter in my heart."

>"You are a luxury I cannot afford. Despite this, I insist you come with me today. I will buy you dinner and spend hours waxing rhapsodic over the vast landscape of wonder that is you."

>"I will play you music. I will sing you songs. For the rest of the afternoon, the rest of the world cannot touch us."

JUUUUSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTT!!!

Is Bakker the only /sffg/ author who doesn't kiss women's asses 24/7?

No. Actually Rothfuss is the only one I've really noticed in that respect, most of the rest just don't make a big issue of it

>Grow up reading sci-fi and fantasy
>Want to write
>Market literally swamped with shit sci-fi and fantasy

I guess I'll just write erotica and read good sci-fi and fantasy.

Why is it that it seems like there are just millions of shit sci-fi and fantasy books for every good one?

Also recommending an AWESOME series that gets no respect: Saga of Pliocene Exile

How about you just get good and beat the crowd?

Thanks, any other recommendations with a cool girl protag?

>Why is it that it seems like there are just millions of shit sci-fi and fantasy books for every good one?
Why is it that there are just millions of shit pro soccer players for every good one?

rate my fantasy-related bookshelf. what should I add to it?
planning on getting The Way of Kings soon, see how I get along with that.

Monstrous Regiment, it has cross-dressing.

you should add these

contrary to popular belief, I found The Kingkiller Chronicle to have an interesting lore and magic system.
as for heavy lore, nothing surpasses Wheel of Time, not in my books. I had to go back and rummage through wiki pages because I kept forgetting who all the side characters and artifacts were. bonus point: it goes on for 14 books until the Sanderson cavalry comes to the rescue

Katharine Kerr's Dagerspell and Darkspell.
they are very basic books, simple plot, characters and descriptions sound like they were written almost before Tolkien's time, yet there's a certain cozy feel to them.

really makes you think...

5/10

Standalone is fine.

>Wheel of time
But that isn't Sanderson.

>/pol/ the novelization
Sounds cool

Can you please help me? I am currently reading THE FARSEER TRILOGY by Robin Hobb and I dislike it quite a lot, the main character is basically a woman, I can't relate to him in any way.

I'm just reading distractedly, and this is basically not going well. I'm not having fun.

Could you suggest a different fantasy? Darker, more violent, with more action and less bitching about?

I recently read all 5 ice and fire books, it was enjoyable but not the best of the best.

Magic, even heavy use of magic is not a problem.

Prince of nothing
most of the action is cucking though
>doesn't kiss women's asses
>is a proud feminist

Land fit for heroes.

really makes you think...

>You realize Duncan Idaho is the main character of the Dune books all along

How long did it take you?

when his clone was introduced

Rei is the patrician choice, kill youself

Hi /sffg/

I'm looking for something to read:

Sci-fi with a bit of mystery, like a shuttle crash on a mysterious alien planet or something. Romance/lewd is fine. A little bit space-empire/fascism is cool too.

suggestions?

I offer this lewd pic in gratitude

Has anyone got that /pol/ manifest pic? Pls post, I need it.

goodreads.com/book/show/28962996-six-wakes

Blue board...

Also
goodreads.com/book/show/30199444-the-warren

No u
Asuka ftw

I'm also looking for a scifi story, any good scifi audiobooks?

The Alastair Reynolds Audio Book Collection
it's on thepiratebay
you can start with the short stories

Hyperion audiobook pretty good. So long as it's the one with different actors for the various pilgrims.

thanks m8 downloading now

10/10 for Moomins

Jack McDevitt mainly does scifi with a exploration/mystery theme. The Alex Benedict series for example is about a antiques dealer and space ship pilot who get mixed up in strange disappearances, lost colonies, conspiracies, etc after they come into possession of some kind of artifact.

I'm absolutely certain I've read a few books by Philip K Dick like this.

Another book, Sirens of Titan, comes to mind. A little mystery there.

Robert Heinlein has a few that match your description as well.

haven't read Gardens of the Moon yet, just got it in the mail last week, but if it's any good, I'll definitely bulk up my Erikson stash.

5/10 as in it's halfway there?

Recommend me some grimdark that isn't on the charts

Is this the answer to age long dark souls question?

Not really. Close to Black Company.

>age long dark souls question
What

Don't think Steel Remains is on the chart.

>He heaved up and stared down the length of his body, the tangled breeches and boots still not off, the dark form hunched and coiled over his legs and hips head-down like a feeding beast, and somewhere seemingly distant beyond vision, the delirious timed motions of mouth up and down, of the probing finger twisting in and out. The scent of the dwenda's body, that maddening mingle of spices and somewhere, the faintest hinted odor of shit in the air from his opened anus.