/ssrg/ Short Story Reading Group: The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

Welcome to the Short Story Reading Group! All are invited to join in at any time, or to come and go as you please. Thank you all for participating.

>The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (1939) by James Thurber
>2,082 words
>Reading time: 11 minutes

>Poll
strawpoll.me/12164287

Discussion starts in this thread and will finish on Monday. The next reading is The Lottery in Babylon by Jorge Luis Borges (2,319 words). Discussion for it will run Tuesday through Wednesday.

>ebook
newyorker.com/magazine/1939/03/18/the-secret-life-of-walter-james-thurber

>ebook for next reading
web.itu.edu.tr/~inceogl4/modernism/lotteryofbabylon.pdf

>Old threads
warosu.org/lit/?task=search2&search_subject=/ssrg/&search_op=op

Other urls found in this thread:

fsgworkinprogress.com/2011/05/orientation-by-daniel-orozco/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

bump

>The Secret Life of Sam Harris

No.

Sam, we've heard you tell the joke about how you look like Ben Stiller a million times. Go to bed.

Not taking part in this one but I will for future stories. Here is a bump for more interest.

Kind of reminded me of this story for some reason

fsgworkinprogress.com/2011/05/orientation-by-daniel-orozco/

Great read OP, I enjoyed it a lot.

Saw the trailer of the Ben Stiller movie a few years ago, couldn't help imagining Mitty looking like Ben Stiller.
I really liked this story. It's simple, it's clear, it's funny. Puppy biscuit.
Really curious about the movie(s) now though. They just used the concept, amirite?

I remember liking the movie, had no idea it was based on a short story, i'll make sure to read it tomorrow

Read the story, it was ok I guess? the shifts between the real and fantasy were done well. If there is any deeper meaning behind it I'm at a loss and one of you Anons could shine a light on it.

Nah, it's just pulp.

If this is true then why is it on the list? pulp wont create much discussion or interest. Case in point, this thread.

OP has some kind of lefty anti-Trump hard on lately. I, for one, won't be participating in these threads anymore.

>people refusing to read this story because it isn't high literature

It's a bit of fun, stop it

IT. ISN'T. APPROVED. Veeky Forums. CANON.
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

It was made into two films and a broadway play over the course of 50 years, inspired its own portmanteau, and has been an inspiration to people's lives and writings.

It's not an integral part of the canon, but I think it should qualify as Veeky Forums even if it doesn't seem to at first glance.

*73 years. They're making it into movies 73 years later.

I thought it was relatable. How 70 years ago guys longed for adventure and meaning, whilst juxtaposed by being cucked and having uneventful days.

Can't wait for Borges' discussion.

The ratings are falling, God-Emperor Sempai.

Futurama, Stanislaw Lem, etc., owe a lot to Borges

Are there any similiar books like this:
Person daydreams but book is written like it truly happens, at some point it smoothly switches to the original reality and you won't immediately realise what was part of the daydream and what not. Later on events will of course contradict with each other but it's never fully revealed what was real and what not.

Alexandro Jodorowsky's autobiography in several volumes: The Dance of Reality, Endless Poetry, etc.

Sounds interesting, thanks!

Pedro Paramo, One Hundred Years of Solitude, and a lot more of the latinamerican boom literature.

You welcome.

When Pilar Ternera says she's pregnant.
Of you.

bump

I liked it a lot OP. Thank you for introducing me to it.