Why does Veeky Forums never discuss Civil Engineering?

Why does Veeky Forums never discuss Civil Engineering?
Are there any around here?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=94ZpOWroNv0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Doesnt sci despise and envy engineers in general?

The more applicable it is the more hate it gets.

Because Civil Engineering is boring as hell.

Because Science and Engineering are usually considered somewhat separate. Doesn't mean one is better than the other, though

But Civil Engineering is the only one not discussed in the wiki

I

I have a degree in civil engineering

Veeky Forums hates engineering because they are brainlets who couldn't make it into engineering.

>Why does Veeky Forums never discuss Civil Engineering?
because the solution to any civil engineering problem is either 1) more steel, or 2) more concrete

Real question is why doesn't Veeky Forums have an engineering board /eng/

>engineering board /eng/
gay

t. science faggot

>>because the solution to any civil engineering problem is either 1) more steel, or 2) more concrete
>how to minimize cost and maintain some semblance of efficient usage of material
>use more steel

>The more applicable it is the more hate it gets.
It's funny that Pure Meth Fags hate & mock any applied field like CS, Economics, Engineering & Chemistry.

Math Fags hate also Most of Physics, except the String Theory (because it hard to apply)

Things non-practical things like Alcubierre Drives, Worm Holes, Number Theory, String Theory gets all the attention from these Pure Meth Fags

/diy/ maybe.

>>t. science faggot
I'm that guy though

>pure meth fags
I am totally using this insult on them now. kek.

no your not

>inb4 you photoshop a (you) into a photo and pretend its you

>>no your not
It doesn't matter. I really wish I wasn't that guy but I am.

let me guess. You wish you studied theoretical physics or some other sci meme and civil sucks

>Why does Veeky Forums never discuss Civil Engineering?

>Why doesn't a science board discuss a field that isn't science?

BECAUSE IT'S NOT FUCKING SCIENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO BACK TO >>>/engr/

Probably even more of a meme if you don't go into academics or some code monkey job. At least with engineering, at the very minimum, you get to sit in a cubicle where you're company is making a difference (not necessarily you though).

>Probably even more of a meme if you don't go into academics or some code monkey job
are you talking about civil or theoretical physcs here

If your autistic manchild ass looked at the sticky you would have realized this board is for STEM. Guess what the E in STEM stands for? No, not euthanasia but I highly recommend it for you.

We do. It's /lgbt/

>this soil is essentially nothing but fatty clay and the concrete pavement roadway is going to crack all to shit underneath it due to clay pumping and heave expansion we could really use some type of geotextile to stabilize the earth and separate the larger aggreg-
>LOL NOPE LETS THROW SOME STEEL IN DERE

You fucking moron.

I rather be a faggot sucking monster tranny cock than an autist virgin pure meth head.

the people who would go on /eng/ would take the tier list seriously

Civil Engineer here. I mostly do roads and drainage for southern state.

couple years ago I was on a project to redo the parking around a physics building at a university. If i did everything right. they should have had horrible flooding in their basement with in a year. IF it rained enough.

Kek. Explain ...

>nothing but fatty clay
overex and recompact 4 feet, 95%D698 -1 to +2 OMC, + 1' of ABC.

do you even geotech? sheesh.

>overex and recompact

good luck finding funding for that

>good luck finding funding for that
seriously why do you care if they can't afford it? I'm not stamping a design that's going to fall apart and be utter shit in 6 months. But seriously there isn't a lot of other good options for swell mitigation in fat clays, at least none that would be cheaper.

>tell the client what the best solution is
>client asks how much
>provide an engineer's estimate
>client says, well what kind of risks I am looking at if we cut the price in half
>Provide client with risks, clearing stating that the expensive method will save money in maintenance in the long run
>client doesn't care because they need to keep the front-end project costs down

>applied field like CS
lol?

questions:
is the road a public right of way?
if its a public right of way who had jurisdiction and what are their minimum design standards?

a lot of the time the client is just going to have to eat the cost because state/county/city regulations specify certain standards. On the other hand if its entirely constructed on private property for private use then they can do whatever they want and they don't need you anyways, especially they don't need you if they expect you to rubber stamp some shit ass design because they're being cheap. Don't blow your reputation to save some POS client a few bucks.

IF /eng/ existed it would be the most intelligent board. This shit hole is infested with undergrads asking about the quadratic equation or true methers.

paving roads and carpentry is NOT science

this is why we don't discuss civil "engineering"

lol, civ e is the most pleb-tier STEM subject possible. At least say Chem E if you're trying to make a point about engineering.

This

Veeky Forums isn't the only place where my kind get shit on.

so I got back at some people and made some more paying work for other civ engis.

Don't piss off the people who build all your stuff.

nice bridge

Ayyyy lmao

That's what happens when you let the intern do your work for you... Your boss will be sued mightily when it happens.

What?

Civil engineer here.

I did a poo in the cistern at an architect's office.

Can't beat a good old upper-decker.

1. He is calling the dude an intern
2. He is saying that when the basement floods, there will be litigation.

Real talk now.

There is nothing wrong with engineering.

The problems are the engineers. A bunch of barely above average intelligence men who lack humility and have absolutely no idea how fucking stupid they are. They think that because they did a bit of calculus at university, they are academically trained to understand everything. They often hold strong opinion on things they understand nothing about.

And they make up 100% of the looneys who send their "proofs" of century old problems to university professors.

And if there is ever a professional who holds and incredibly stupid opinion about some controversial issue, it's always a fucking engineer. It's like engineering is the field you go into if you don't want to challenge your biases.

And people have caught on to this behaviour. Engineers are known as the dumbest educated professionals and they compliment it well with a good douse of arrogance.

There is a hilarious video on Youtube of a physicist reading letters he receives from engineers who claim to have created all sorts of dumb shit. Like, 50 year old men who have been employed as engineers for decades, claiming to have created free energy generators.

>Veeky Forums isn't the only place where my kind get shit on.

Haha, no. You are known as the resident retarded loonies at a given university.

Everyone knows your kind. Please tell me again how climate change is a big government hoax to turn young Republican children into gay lizards.

I had to tolerate way to many loony conversations from your kind IRL.

It was actually for an entire neighborhood's road reconstruction project. The preexisting concrete pavement had been set directly on top of the fatty clay with no reinforcement whatsoever

to keep things relatively cheap (or as cheap as we could get) we cut about 24", slapped some Mirafi RSI geotextile on top of it and added select engineered fill over that. Then came concrete, reinforcement, curb forms, etc.

was a helluva lot cheaper than your suggestion and it's held up for over 2 years sooo

out of my class of about ~80 people, I only knew 2 of them who were douchebag dumbasses like this. Why are you generalizing?

ironic, since engineers tend to be brainlets

because those 2 people are the loudest. it's like how people generalize CS majors as autistic gamer nerds when in reality those are the people that drop out in their 2nd year.

If anybody here is a civil engineer.

Do I need to be a good artist to become one? Or is it not that necessary?

Always wanted to build a Minecraft town with some proper civil engineering.
Sewage and water, power grid, roads, residential/industrial/business areas, public maintenance, the whole works.
Sadly don't have enough people to get something like that started.

Real talk now.

There is nothing wrong with science.

The problems are the scientists. A bunch of barely above average intelligence men who lack humility and have absolutely no idea how fucking stupid they are. They think that because they did a bit of calculus at university, they are academically trained to understand everything. They often hold strong opinion on things they understand nothing about.

And they make up 100% of the looneys who send their "proofs" of century old problems to university professors.

And if there is ever a professional who holds and incredibly stupid opinion about some controversial issue, it's always a fucking scientist. It's like science is the field you go into if you don't want to challenge your biases.

And people have caught on to this behaviour. Scientists are known as the dumbest educated professionals and they compliment it well with a good douse of arrogance.

There is a hilarious video on Youtube of a nuclear engineer reading letters he receives from physicists who claim to have created all sorts of dumb shit. Like, 50 year old men who have been employed as physicists for decades, claiming to have created free energy generators.

All engineers aren't dumbasses.

But if there is a dumbass preaching some retarded beliefs of his, in my group of STEM professionals it's definitely going to be an engineer.

>a bit of calculus
>dumbest educated people around
Here's your (you)

sides gone

Civil engineer and math major here

Sauce?

He is full of it, firms will always hire an engineer before a physicist. This is why engineers are hated here.
Look up the joke about spherical cow/chickens. It perfectly sums up a physicist who will take forever to answer a question when the fucking answer is right in front of him.

>held up for over 2 years

24" what is presumable a high quality fill overlain by how thick a concrete section?

should be strong enough. gota wonder whats going to happen once you start getting infiltration into that native though... heave going to murder your road in 5 to 10 years.

cheap shitty construction folks... see it all the time.

>Do I need to be a good artist to become one?
No.

>Civil Engineering
you mean the fucbois of architects?

civil engineering is easy, we architects would do it if we werent more preocupied with more complex sublime matters you will never understand. Oh dont get me wrong, we could do your job (altough you could never do ours) we just think its beneath us, its like laying bricks. We passed that stage in our formation long long ago.

Architects are literally just artists with no understanding of the physics behind the structure. Architectural engineering is a thing because you guys are physics illiterate.

>talking shit about anyone when you work in the construction industry

top fuckin' kek

>Architectural engineering is a thing because you guys are physics illiterate.

We know most of the math, but not only that, we got an intricate sense of balance and beauty, we can visually determine a strutcute to be balanced on not based on a special highly comparative intelligence derived from our god tier analytics based from artistry

having the rationals and dem poetries to get da womenzza yyaaayy for da winrrarrsss sorry i beat all over you famiboy

>I draw squiggles on paper and depend on engineers to actually make things that wont fall down.

Best Civil subfield?
Also is Environmental a meme or not?

>im just an autist who does simple math and my job can be done by computers

Also, yes, one of my squiggles on a piece of paper is worth more than 5 years of your job. So its nice that you know your place

>my squiggles on a piece of paper is worth more than 5 years of your job
(citation needed)

>Best Civil subfield
geotechnical, while not glamorous, will always be in demand since every construction needs site specific evaluation of the subsurface conditions. I don't know if that makes it the "best", there are others that are more technically demanding.

>is Environmental a meme or not?
Environmentals that I work with help solid waste disposal operations remain compliant with state and federal regulations and earn good money in the process.

Environmental is a total meme.

>Best Civil subfield?

WATER
A
T
E
R

Do you work in Water Resources?
If so how is it?

Environmental not a meme. People don't realize that the water stuff (hello ) falls under environmental.

Best EE subfield (jobwise)?

Faget

BUMB

*zzzzzzZzzzzZZZZZZZZzzzzzz.....*

>Also, yes, one of my squiggles on a piece of paper is worth more than 5 years of your job. So its nice that you know your place

are all architects this insecure about their complete inability to contribute anything of value?

The main cost of any project is always the labor to get it done, and concrete/steel is so cheap that unless you have a project as large as Trump's wall adding more concrete somewhere won't significantly impact cost nor be worth the potential for failure if you go for some complex shit to use less concrete or rebar.

Fuck the traditional civil subfields. I noped the fuck out and studied mechanics and FEA until I got a job in aerospace and defense.

YOU'RE AN ANGEL WITH AN AMBER HALO

>EE
Enjoy getting outsourced or replaced by a bot/CS major

Nigga thats where I wanna work
Any advice for a freshman?

Do you mean working as an Aeronautical Engineer or building structures doing work as a Civil Engineer for the Aeronautics and Defense Industry (like building hangars, buildings, etc.)

>But if there is a dumbass preaching some retarded beliefs of his, in my group of STEM professionals it's definitely going to be an engineer.

This is the most eloquent way to put it.

Physicists are usually humble. Mathematicians are apathetic or avoidant of discussing controversial topics.

Engineers are special.

Physicists are usually [AUTISTIC]. Mathematicians are [NIHILISTIC] or [SUICIDAL AND DONT TALK].

Engineers are [CAPABLE OF SPEAKING AND EXPRESSING THEIR OPINIONS IN A HEALTHY MANNER].

*Fixed

Architects are like the kids filling out coloring books

Engineers are the adult in the room that puts the stamp of approval on the finished product, because our opinion actually matters.

I graduated with a civil degree but I had already started diving more deeply into the theory behind mathematics, mechanics of deformable bodies, and a little coursework on FEA when people were buzzing about specialization. I got hired to look at things that go into airplanes to see if they break.

>> Any advice for a freshman?

A graduate degree in
Maybe a graduate degree in the topics above. I don't know how I got hired honestly. Apparently job postings from the primary defense and aerospace contractors will include even BS civils. Look around for professors that do work in computational mechanics and ask them about stuff. There's a couple of buzzwords to look for in Indeed which includes but not limited to: structural analyst, stress analyst, dynamics, etc. The big primary contractors sometimes hire smaller guys to do pieces of their work so look for try to look for those guys too.

>CAPABLE OF SPEAKING AND EXPRESSING THEIR OPINIONS IN A HEALTHY MANNER

You wish nigga. I gotta listen to people higher up talk all sorts of mad shit they deeply believe in and I can't say anything to them without making things awkward

quadratic equation is senior engineer tier math

>EE below ME

yeah i don't think so.

It's /diy/. You too can learn how to make your gas lines double as light fixtures and how to make Rapture out of shipping containers. A Darwin award is just one click away!

That's what the concrete is for you fuckin dumbass.

Thots on this project

youtube.com/watch?v=94ZpOWroNv0

>Hey man I'm gonna approach you in the lockerroom and ask you about alex jones and communism and free energy stealth and the tr3b totally real area 51 shit for hours
-t. Mechanical engineers