>2017.
>Being monolingual.

Why the FUCK aren't you learning another language pleb?

Other urls found in this thread:

neurology.org/content/early/2013/11/06/01.wnl.0000436620.33155.a4.abstract?sid=f43530ca-573d-4d57-bd1c-b3dfb1282084
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I know, you're right, I hate myself for this. I want to learn German but I can't be fucked among all the other shit I have to do day to day.

Already speak in three tongues, know a fourth.

Not even an anglo, I know 3 languages. Language learning is vastly overrated (thats why mostly women do it), if you want to learn a language, study a programming one. It actually trains your logical thinking instead of replacing one set of words and grammatical rules with another.

>programming language actually trains your logical thinking
>this is what garbage tier code monkeys actually think

(you)

Why not do both?

Im learning spanish

Diminishing returns.
Lets say you want to get yourself into french literature. I'd make an argument that spending two years learning french and then two years reading french novels would result in less understanding of french lit, than just reading english translations four years straight.

I know English, and a little bit of German and a little bit of Russian. And one more language that no one knows or cares about.

If you were born in a non-English speaking country, then you are pretty much guaranteed to have at least 2 languages under your belt.

I want to learn latin. An utterly worthless language, but I think it's cool, and I really want to read some literature in the original language, such as Caesars commentaries on the gallic war.

I disagree. Are you monolingual? If so, you don't know what you are talking about. Some things simply cannot be translated, while keeping true to the original.

I just told you I speak 3 languages senpai. My native is russian if you have to know.

I'm not the guy you replied to.

If you speak 3 languages, then you should be aware that language and culture are both tied together, and you can't truly understand one without the other.

>Not even an anglo, I know 3 languages. Language learning is vastly overrated (thats why mostly women do it), if you want to learn a language, study a programming one. It actually trains your logical thinking instead of replacing one set of words and grammatical rules with another.

>"speaks" 3 languages
>denies the immense importance of language for perception of literary works

>Пceвдoинтeллeктyaльный дoлбoёб

>learning another language before you've even read the top 3 Best Books of the English Language:

>Shakespeare - Complete Works (RSC)
>Milton - Paradise Lost (Modern Library)
>King James - Holy Bible (Cambridge)

>Best Books
>Bible

English is just retarded French, so translations work quite well.

>Bible
>not best books

>muh historical importance
>muh cultural relevance
>best

>implying those aren't valid reasons

You do know that KJV was written by the best scholars in the land at the time of Shakespeare (whose grasp of the language wasn't an anomaly, his contemporaries are also impressive), right?

>implying same reasons don't apply to Quran, Tao Te Ching, Mein Kampf and dozens of other books

Not to the same extent as the bible.

I'm a native speaker of two languages, I'm quite proud of my English level and I'm studying Japanese at college. This summer I'm starting an Icelandic course (I've already paid for it).

So yeah, I'm not monolingual at all.

>2017
>speaking languages other than English

for what purpose

I speak fluently turkish, bulgarian, german, english and russian and i can't say more than you just don't know what you are talking about.

Different languages have different gramatical construction which trains your brain.

Not really, if you believe that historical importance is a valid reasons to waste time on subpar literature, you should start with cave paintings and egyptian hieroglyphs

I've studied Spanish for 2 years and have read several books in the language.

I will say that reading in another language affects you in a different way. However, reading good translations is a far more productive use of time than bothering to learn another language in order to simply read books. There are people who dedicate their lives and careers to learning another language and translating literature. Do you really believe that a tenuous grasp on a second language will allow you to read a book and take as much as you would from a good translation? It's highly doubtful.

Learning a language is hard. It takes effort. I'm too lazy. Give me an easy quick fix tip to learning one quick and I may do it. Until then I'd rather be pleb.

Does learning a second language make the average person smarter? Especially if they learn it in adulthood.

Oh ok. You are just a muslim asshurt that nobody gives a fuck about the nonsense of your religion.

No. It's allows you to get a new view on communication and learn different ways of constructing and your thoughts and interpreting the world. But it doesn't make you smarter by itself.

>someone mentions Quran
>he must be a muslim
>my first day on Veeky Forums

Learning a second language has a lot of cognitive benefits (e.g. improving your memory), as well as health benefits (such as deterring Alzheimer's disease). If you decide to learn a language that has similar roots to your mother tongue, it will help you a lot with vocabulary and articulation.

Just be careful not to get cucked by the culture of the country whose language you are learning. They tried to push that crap on me when I was learning Spanish in university.

Speak three fluently, some French, and grammatically incorrect Japanese. Will probably learn Hindustani, with the Perso-Arabic script.
I'd hate being monolingual, 2017 or not.

>Learning a language is hard
Nigga you do realise that you learned one as a literal babby?

>improving your memory
Memory cannot be 'improved'
>as well as health benefits (such as deterring Alzheimer's disease)
No research backs it up

>Im learning spanish

suerte aprendiendo los conjugados es donde los anglos fallan mas.

I can't decide on which language I want to learn. I want to learn Danish but it's not really applicable.

Why would you want Danish? It's an ugly sounding language. Learn Norwegian - it's pretty good plus you will be able to understand written Danish to a very high degree.

I don't know about Danish, but Norwegian has a very simple grammar. Very similar to English.

Ja! Norsk er den beste språket!

>No research backs it up
neurology.org/content/early/2013/11/06/01.wnl.0000436620.33155.a4.abstract?sid=f43530ca-573d-4d57-bd1c-b3dfb1282084

I started picking up my first second language early this year
Hoping to become fluent enough to read novels by June. Putting in 2 hours a day

Learning Spanish and Ancient Greek right now.

L'inglese è una lingua barbarica e priva di musicalità. A sentirvi parlare sembrate cani che si abbaiano in faccia.

Translate this.

I'm out faggots.

>pizza pasta parmigiano I'm a filthy finocchio who'd love some north african cock up my ass
Italian is really easy to understand tbqh.

>tfw forgetting your french
A-at least I'll still have Spanish, r-right guys?

Looks like Latin with severe retardation.

> English is a barbaric language deprived of musicality. Listening to someone speak it feels like being barked at in the face.

Disgusting. Just learn Latin, friendo.

>tfw when I know 3 languages because I come fron an immigrant family that lives in a country with a different language that is not english.

>tfw I'm shit at the both languages I know, but still want to pick up a third

It's just that I don't know which one.

German, French, Spanish, Italian. Fuck, I don't know!

>German
good language
>French
good language
>Spanish
meme language
>Italian
meme language

They're all good languages.

>Overall, bilingual patients developed dementia 4.5 years later than the monolingual ones.
ohwowitsfuckingnothing.tiff

Latin is also a meme language.

Just read more French books

French is the worst romance language.

Latin is the language of educated thought. I wouldn't expect you to know this.

Wrong. French has the best literature of all the romance languages. The official hierarchy of literary languages are as follows:

English > French > Greek > Latin > Italian > Old Occitan > German >>>> Spanish >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Arabic, Japanese, Chinese, and other eastern languages

>worst romance language
What is Portuguese and Romanian.

Veeky Forums I want to learn a new language but I can't make my mind on which one:
I'm undecided between
>Russian (interesting, possibly useful business-wise, I know the alphabet already)
>German (I love the language, I know people over there, however everybody in Germany speaks English as well)
>Chinese (hands down the most useful business-wise, but I hate the Chinese)
What do you think?

Latin.

There's nothing special about latin, it's just a fucking language like any other, calm down your romanboo tits

Chinese is hardly useful as all international business in China is conducted in english.
Just choose the language of whichever culture and literary corpus attracts you the most

>no Russian
>lumping eastern languages together
>Spanish in wrong place
>Old Occitan on chart at all

>pseud pretending to know anything about languages

Russian is overrated as fuck, a few novelists isn't enough to justify learning a language for

>hands down the most useful business-wise
Where does this retarded meme come from? All the international business is in English and even if it wasn't you shouldn't learn any language purely out of a theoretical possibilty of ever doing business in the country.
>everybody in Germany speaks English as well
It's also meme, although it's getting better rapidly.

>he thinks Russian is just 5 Veeky Forumscore authors

>he thinks that anybody gave two shits about Russian literature before or after Leodor Tolstoyevsky

>entry-level bait
This is not /mu/, try harder.

As a russian, we didn't even study Tolstoy or Dost in school. It was all Pushkin, Gogol, and Chekhov

I don't like my own people and culture let alone anybody else's

Did you drop out in 9th grade?

>English at the top of the ranking
Pseud.

Granted, I went to math-oriented school

>trilingual
>English
>Portuguese
>Japanese

>learned English because it's my country's language
>learned Portuguese because of grandparents
>learned Japanese because I'm a weeb

I haven't used Portuguese in years since my grandparents passed away. Anyone know some good Portuguese literature?

So did I, but we still did it. Hating Tolstoyevskiy, because you're too young and pleb to understand it is really the main meme of high-school literature lesson in most schools.

>good Portuguese literature
There's virtually none.

Ah, that's a shame.

Russian literature can literally be boiled down to
>Dostoyevsky
>Gogol
>Tolstoy
>Chekhov
>Pushkin
It's not worth learning Russian for.

Just learn Spanish

Pentecostalist pls

English literature can literally be boiled down to
>Joyce
>Dickens
>Melville
>Chaucer
>Shakespeare
It's not worth learning English for.

wastes space in the brain for higher thinking, along with wasting time

Sure, but it isn't if you're using your time well, you're on Veeky Forums. Also I'm sorry bud, you're not doing much higher thinking.

99.99999999% of the information in your brain is visual

>higher thinking

I'm reading this book right now, if this doesn't count as higher thinking then I'm at a loss for what does

Not hard user. Maybe you're stupid for real, ever thought of that? Not trying to be a dick but there's a possibility that those are only excuses for not recognizing that you're actually challenged and find hard things that clearly aren't.

Эни pyccкиe в тpeдe?

I'm into lit because the English I learned as a baby is not enough to convey what I'm thinking and feeling through my thick layer of autism. You think I want to learn a new language to not be able to communicate in?

Pero, los conjugados son muy facil, creo que usted habla mierda.

Baт дy ю вaнт, кaмpaд?

Двaчaя, бpaтюни

Learning italian was veramente una pasegiatta. Im thinking of learning either french or german, now

Check out /lang/ at /int/ if you need resources for a language:

Already know some
>classical education
Of course I should have specified, the most useful business-wise after English
>you shouldn't learn any language purely out of a theoretical possibilty of ever doing business in the country.
Well I disagree, learning a language can open new perspective from a commercial standpoint as well
I agree one's life should not be incentrated on the business aspect but neglecting it altogether is equally stupid
>all international business in China is conducted in english.
>All the international business is in English
In my opinion, peaking in the native tongue of the person you're dealing with establishes a stronger bond right from the start and shows respect too.
But if you say Chinese speak English estensively then there's no reason for me to learn their shitty language provided I hate their shitty culture

/int/ is just /pol/'s residence, so I'd rather not

>tfw know only swedish and english
>tfw feel lazy