Read Herodotus for 2 hours

>read Herodotus for 2 hours
>28 pages

A-a-am I a cripple?

He can be hard to read because he was writing right before the sophistic period began so his way of organizing things is completely his own. The Histories read like an oral tradition put to paper. He often includes mythology in his history, some of which he doesn't even believe, but wants to present the story to the reader and let them decide whether it might have validity.

But once you get past the fact that he constantly digresses, then digresses from his digressions into new digressions, there is no comfier writer among the ancient Greeks.

What is a standard white reading pace?

1000 pages/hour.

sounds about right

>actually reading Herodotus

You know his work is just chronicles right? It's best read by historians who can synthesize it into a true understanding of Greek history. It's not really literature by itself. Read a modern ancient Greece history book instead.

Relaxa, user. Montanus Dantesque et Aquinas etiam cum Græco luctabantur.

t. hasn't rred Herodotus and doesn't know there are almost no other ancient sources anyway

t. didn't even read my whole reply.

Herodotus is surprisingly legible considering the time it was written, but I just find myself getting really bored and kinda wishing I was reading something else. It's worth it though, with the fun little digressions about weird traditions and idiosyncrasies of the different nations

He's comfy but fuck me if I understand any the geography or remember half the names after I close the book.

what's your favorite digression? I like the one where he describes that culture in East Anatolia/South Caucasus that have a literal marriage market where the men would bid on the prettiest women, then the money raised from the bride price of the pretty women was given to whichever man was willing to take the lowest dowry for the ugliest women.

Very sensible tradition imo.

That whole section was pretty wacky, isn't that also when women were prostituted and then sold of when they'd earned their dowry and that there was a tradition wherein they had to sit on some temple stairs waiting for people to fuck them so they could leave?

I did, and every sentence except the third is false.so far as an imperative can be false~

>read Hegel for 2 hours
>3 pages

That was in Babylon. It was part of the cult of Ishtar IIRC that every woman had to at one point in her life sit on the temple stairs and accept money for sex.

She had no right to refuse any man based on the sum he offered either, it was the offering of money that was important. Rich women and poor women alike had to take part. They had to stay at the temple until someone paid them for sex so ugly girls apparently had to stay at the temple for years while pretty ones would be home before sundown.

That's actually a reasonable pace. Anyone who reads Hegel fast is either lying or not getting it.

>it's just chronicles, not literature

not an argument

How do you remember the locations? It just becomes a blur for me, though to be fair I've only read it once.

>reading Herodotus
For what reason? The Histories is just a trivial collection of anecdotes.

>he hasn't started with the Greeks

kys my man

Try harder. There's actually a pretty heavy morality underlining the stories.

I've always had a strong memory, especially when it comes to fantasy, and that's all history is when it comes down to it. I read it once like 3 years ago.

your life is just a trivial collection of anecdotes, kid.

Herodotus is boring as fuck, and you're not getting anything out of it if you're not a scholar. For Greek, all you need is the great poets: Homer, Sappho, Theocritus, and Bion.

and who the fuck are you anyway senpai

Excuse me, what does

>t. xxxxxx

Mean? I know it means "written by / from" but what's the t stand for

It's the Finnish shorthand for "regards"

IIRC it's Danish and means "signed by", not sure though

Woops

I have the same problem...I think reading Herodotus is more about understanding his methods and what it reveals about modern historians' work and perspectives than for content.

When the fuck did that enter the Veeky Forums lexicon? I leave for a year or two and desu and t. are in every single thread

It's from Ylilauta and probably came to Veeky Forums through /int/, just like Spurdo and Apu Apustaja

It's Finnish. It's short for terveiset

Finnish people have a disproportionate presence on the internet due to living in a desolate shithole with nothing to do but drink and shitpost. Was popular on Ylilauta and Krautchan before it leaked over into Veeky Forums.

>read a modern book instead

Sure I'd love to read a dry and lifeless inquiry into a time whose historical facts don't actually affect me, but whose spirit and vivacity which live on are charmingly captured by the iconic writings of the man who literally invented history.

>nothing to do but drink and shitpost
don't forget watching the national hockey team lose
very important

>tfw I read novels at 10page a hour
What am I even

That is actually borderline retarded, no joke

I know, but desu I think its mostly my concentration. Like I will reread something five times when I don't care about it or can lose myself with hours on something interesting and do it significantly fast.

t. krautchanner who bullies vierkanal lurkers but is a vierkanal lurker himself.

are you fucking kidding me, references to the content are everywhere. it's very memorable simply because of the variety and absurdity of much of it. like, he describes an egyptian sex festival where women get on a barge and expose themselves to men on the shore, and then everyone gets together and they get out puppets with massive prehensile dicks or something like that.

this is just one of the colorful extremes, there's also great accounts of personal drama on every level of society across the entire ancient world. it's just fucking amazing whether your interest is history, myth, literary criticism, ancient psychology/ethics, etc.

it's part of the fucking canon. shape up. read herodotus. every able, free man needs to do it.

>the battle of thermopylae

Just bought the book and just read a few pages, didn't seem that difficult to me.

Very different from what I had expected though, thought it was just gonna be a dull history book, but its more like a history professor telling a story around a campfire

cozy/10

Gonna finish with Homer first though

I'm currently banned from krautchan for offending the transsexual mod. It just mystifies me how so much of imageboard culture is permitted but 3 or 4 randomly selected phrases/memes used even ironically will get you a month long ban

this is the image that got me banned.

>France
How is France considered a country on this map? Without exaggerating, its almost a splitting image of Morocco but with more refugee camps.

You probably said cuck ay some point

It uses the C-Slur in the image.

I like how 'cuck' on krautchan is now self-filtered to KCmod or Krautchan moderator, now they ban for that too if one of them sees it.

lel plebs cant into herodotus

yes

Are you me

kek'ed. Dude, I'm banned forever for making fun of Lambda (the first trans mod)

Slowly and steady wins the race.

A lot of the user here will burn out and go casual. It doesn't matter if you're a slow reader. You can easily outpace them in the long run if that is what you really want.